Bard's Tale 4

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I liked the original Bard's Tale somewhat, though I thought it was a little behind the times. The second game totally burned me out on the franchise however, to the point where after defeating Lagoth Zanta I simply gave up and no longer followed the series or whatever Mr Heineman produced as an offshoot, Dragon Wars was it?

I think i'll give this one a miss, it just doesn't stir the enthusiasm that Poe or Torment did.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I want more information before forming an opinion.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I wonder if this will be grid-based?  Also, I hope we get to visit Skara Brae, or the ruins there of.  I'll have to see the full pitch before I make a decision, but considering Wasteland 2 is, in my opinion, the best game I've personally crowdfunded (and I've crowdfunded a lot...  too much), I do have confidence in inXile.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I want more information before forming an opinion.

Trust me on this one Amentep, this is a day 1 KS pledge for sure. I will take full responsibility if this game isn't as entertaining as I know it will be 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Right. What does you taking 'full responsibility' even mean? Are you gonna say 'oops my bad'? What happens if you liek the game and he doesn't? or vice versa? Are you gonna  give money to everyone who ends up disliking it? Stop with the intellectual dishonesty. You are not going to take 'full responsibility' for it anymore than I take 'full responsibility' for stuff I have no control over.

As for the game... it better be like the earlier  Bard's Tales but modernized controls ala WL2 and not the stupid BT 'remake' for the 2000s. *shudder*

• Like 1

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Right. What does you taking 'full responsibility' even mean? Are you gonna say 'oops my bad'? What happens if you liek the game and he doesn't? or vice versa? Are you gonna  give money to everyone who ends up disliking it? Stop with the intellectual dishonesty. You are not going to take 'full responsibility' for it anymore than I take 'full responsibility' for stuff I have no control over.

As for the game... it better be like the earlier  Bard's Tales but modernized controls ala WL2 and not the stupid BT 'remake' for the 2000s. *shudder*

Volo you just have to trust me on this, that is the best answer you will understand  :yes:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I'm very interested. I played through all the Bard's Tale games on my C64 a million years ago and those games had a certain feel to them that I haven't found in any other games. Not sure what it was.

Also, those games were dead hard, with puzzles that took forever to solve without the use of the internet or hint books (usually riddles, some of which would have been difficult in my own language, let alone English). The series was also very difficult combat-wise with the third part being the worst.

I just wish they would update the games like Bethesda updated Fallout. Although I enjoyed Wasteland 2, I must say that going from Fallout to Fallout 3 was a revolution while going from Wasteland (probably my favourite game of all time) to Wasteland 2 was a slight disappointment. I vastly prefer first person view to top-down view these days.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

The Bard's Tale trilogy was first-person view...  albeit a rather primitive version thereof. 

I'm kinda tempted to replay the original trilogy now.  I have memories of playing the games back when I was still wet behind the ears, had a full head of hair, and was much, much, much, much, much less jaded.  I wonder if I still have what it takes to beat any of these games?  I remember they were hard, not Wizardry hard (read: sadomasochistic), mind you, but still pretty damn hard.  At least with the magic of the internet, I wouldn't have to make my own map on a piece of graph paper any more; that's one aspect of old skool RPGs I definitely don't miss.  Maybe I should LP it?  That way, on the off chance I manage to beat any of the games, I'll have video proof that I still have the cojones to beat one of these games.  In the more likely event that I fail miserably, there will be video proof of me being broken by a 30 year old game for people to use when ridiculing me.  It's a win (for somebody) either way.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Bard's Tale 2 was my first CRPG ever. I remember when I got it for my birthday in 1987. I felt like I was holding the Holy Grail. I remember that dark night in 1989 when I won the third game and my party I created back in 1987 became literal gods. That was beautiful man.

But that style of game is so archaic and the plots so non-existant I am not sure why one would remake it. But it is InXile, one of the keepers of the CRPG flame, so I will back it.

• Like 1

I remember they were hard, not Wizardry hard (read: sadomasochistic), mind you, but still pretty damn hard.

Yes they were. But back then it was just expected that games were super hard. Each dungeon level was a major project to conquer.

They're not remaking it. It's a sequel. It's also 2015 so dont' expect it to be exactly like it was before.

\Also, these games weren't all that hard. People who think that just plain suck at games. I managed to play them just fine as a little kiddie. As did many others.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

They're not remaking it. It's a sequel. It's also 2015 so dont' expect it to be exactly like it was before.

Yes yes I semantically was off there. But you know what I mean. It is not like people today, or even people in the 1990s, are clamoring to go back to the world of The Bard's Tale. But, you know, hey maybe it will be cool.

Edited by Valmy

Day 1 pledge from me and very interested to know what the tiers will be.

That's what I like to see, a positive spirit and real sense of commitment to the KS. Well done Hiro, I share your sentiments on this one  :thumbsup:

John Milton 

The Bard's Tale trilogy was first-person view...  albeit a rather primitive version thereof. 

I know, I was referring to Wasteland with that comment.

But I also wouldn't want a Might & Magic X/Legend of Grimrock solution just because the old games had that movement/view.

I still think Fallout 3/New Vegas is the best modernization of an older game that I've seen. 

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

^ I actually really liked the grid-based movement in M&MX, I'm weird like that (I'm aware I'm in the minority).  At the same time, in the Bard's Tale Trilogy you couldn't really exploit the grid to tactical advantage like you could in grid-based M&M games, so I wouldn't be against them ditching grid-based movement for TBT4.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸