Are they just not necessary for tanks?  I see a lot of 2 Might build tanks etc I understand that Might and Con are low on the priority list but I would think you would want ONE (preferably Might as HP isn't an issue on Fighters and Paladins) just for high fort saves.  Like you would want to resist stun and knock down no?  Or is the thought process that your deflection is so high that it doesn't matter?

Regards

Torm

Have gun will travel.

Either don't get hit (deflection) or if you get hit have DR, saves (Fortitude and Reflex as one cant have it all and additional effects on hit target them), health pool and healing. With high enough For, for example, its possible to tank enemies like kobold skirmisher or phantoms who normally stunlock with good chances of winning as they tend to graze or miss quite often. Either way it works.

Ya so the answer is have high deflect and DR so when you get stunned  its cool cause they wont hit hard.  I'd say that having at least ONE MIGHT or CON is important then to resist Fort check attacks...maybe as you get more DR throughout the game it doesn't really matter?  cause even though you are stunned they cant punch through your armor? 

Check my thread below about Lay on Hands it has the stats for current Paladin tank.

Edited by Torm51

Have gun will travel.

Ya so the answer is have high deflect and DR so when you get stunned  its cool cause they wont hit hard.  I'd say that having at least ONE MIGHT or CON is important then to resist Fort check attacks...maybe as you get more DR throughout the game it doesn't really matter?  cause even though you are stunned they cant punch through your armor? 

Check my thread below about Lay on Hands it has the stats for current Paladin tank.

If a dragon stuns you, you are dead, no matter your other stats, if an adragan petrifies, same. Sure the rest of the group might still win, but the tank is a tank no more.

3 Might tanks are fine, but I wouldn't dump Might and Con so that you maintain a reasonable Fort defense (and Might probably does more for you than Con to be honest).

3 Might tanks are useless. You can win wirh any party on Potd since the difficulty is so low, but a solo char will not tank sky dragon let alone adra with 3 MI.

Keep in mind a lot of status effects reduce your defenses (and attack capabilities), so compensating with high deflect is more "expensive" than having high saves in the first place. DR always works, but it's not always enough and has other costs.

• Like 1

Keep in mind a lot of status effects reduce your defenses (and attack capabilities), so compensating with high deflect is more "expensive" than having high saves in the first place. DR always works, but it's not always enough and has other costs.

So for my next hard mode tank what do you guys think of: 

Moongod Like  Paladin (Shieldbearer of St. Elcga...I like the Wayfarers for RP better but for some reason they are a more offensively oriented paladin lol as far as their order specific abilities go)

M 17 (for saves, miniscule improvement in dps see dex issue and better heals from my racial).

C 10

Dex 4 (the dump stat I know it annihilates my dps and it sucks but I can afford to lose it I guess)

Per 18

Int 10

Res 19 (aedyr background)

Edited by Torm51

Have gun will travel.

There's no "maxing" saves in PoE, since if you increase something, you decrease something else. For paladins as tanks fort > reflex > will imo, as you can compensate for reflex with shields and reduce some of the more annoying will effects with righteous soul (plus in a party the paladin will rarely get targeted by them anyway). But it's not like low(er) will won't matter - you'll regret it when fighting enemies like vithracks for instance. 

Edited by MadDemiurg
  • Like 1

Usually something that targets fort or reflex or will doesn't target deflection, so not getting hit (deflection) isn't really an option.

Not getting hit does not mean literally not getting hit, because what would be the point of playing character which cant get hit? However, the way I see it there are two basic approaches. To have "balanced" stats which basically means max 2 and leave rest at 10 and "min/max" stats which basically means dump 2 to max 4.

So as tank I can have high deflection via Per/Res (reflex/will). This is what I mean by "not getting hit" ~ build tank through stats, equipment and talents to have high deflection so s/he does not get hit by weapons (attacks on deflection) too often. That s/he may get hit by something else .. that is unavoidable and with party to support pretty much inconsequential.

Or as tank I can forget about deflection and max Mig/Con/Dex and Per to have highest For and Ref saves possible, dumping Will, relying on health pool, DR and healing unlike in case of high deflection tank who relies on not getting hit.

Edited by knownastherat