So, i'm starting a new game(hard mode) and decided to go Barbarian, since its my first play i would like some tips about my build and anything else you can give me

after reading many threads i decided for this:

MIG: 16

CON: 7

DEX: 18

PER: 3

INT: 16 (old Vailla bonus applied)

RES: 18

Resolve is 18 because of dialogue options i want for my first playthrough, but i'm not sure its worth it as i think it is, or if might not maxed is a great waste of the barbarian potential

besides the build, i also am stuck in deciding 2h or Dual Wield, esthetically i like dual wielding more because its cool to look at(and this is a great deal for me) but so far i heard its only good for trash mobs and i want my main to be somehow important in boss fights.

so, if im going dual wield, wich specialization to pick (i like regular swords, but in this case is not really important), and if im going 2handed wich spec to pick? (i like great swords, but i heard its a waste if you can get estocs instead)

thanks in advance

Edited by madmice

You really don't need resolve that high I believe, if that is what you were wondering. In the Endless Path lvl 14 you can get your hands on a cloak that adds +3 to your resolve, the Shroud of Mourning, long before you need it at the animancy debates. Then there is the resolve bonus you get from the Salty Mast by hiring either Iquali for a bonus to +1 resolve or even the +2 resolve from Big Durmsey. If all else fails then you can buy some dragon meat for 4k and make a very fine steak before the animancy debate for a +3 on top of that. The highest resolve speech check in the game is 19 I believe (or 20?) and by then you will have a ton of dragon meat after you carve up the Sky Dragon. 

But if you want a high resolve for combat, that is completely your prerogative. 

Edited by Venatio

Depending on difficulty, DR bypass on weapons can and probably should influence weapon choice/focus greatly. Its probably the most important choice for Barbarian build, though nowhere it is written one cannot be specialized in more weapons through talents. Same goes for dual-wield and 2h, you can have both.

The sentiment to have high Res I can understand but personally I prefer Fortitude and Reflex saves which also means low Int. All or nothing approach. Though for regular playthrough, playing Barbarian as off-tank/dps I would not worry about having stats from OP in party. They are fine.

So which weapon focus? Every one except Peasant. If you like swords, you also get axes and morningstar with high interrupt. Adventurer gives estoc and life leech fail and Noble DR bypass maces and fast daggers and rapiers. I would go with esthetics/role playing. There are weapons (talents) around to complement every build.  

Edited by knownastherat

You really don't need resolve that high I believe, if that is what you were wondering. In the Endless Path lvl 14 you can get your hands on a cloak that adds +3 to your resolve, the Shroud of Mourning, long before you need it at the animancy debates. Then there is the resolve bonus you get from the Salty Mast by hiring either Iquali for a bonus to +1 resolve or even the +2 resolve from Big Durmsey. If all else fails then you can buy some dragon meat for 4k and make a very fine steak before the animancy debate for a +3 on top of that. The highest resolve speech check in the game is 19 I believe (or 20?) and by then you will have a ton of dragon meat after you carve up the Sky Dragon. 

But if you want a high resolve for combat, that is completely your prerogative. 

thanks a lot

and no, it was just for dialogue purposes, so, you'd say that 15 Resolve is enough given that i have the meat and bonus from salty mast?

Depending on difficulty, DR bypass on weapons can and probably should influence weapon choice/focus greatly. Its probably the most important choice for Barbarian build, though nowhere it is written one cannot be specialized in more weapons through talents. Same goes for dual-wield and 2h, you can have both.

The sentiment to have high Res I can understand but personally I prefer Fortitude and Reflex saves which also means low Int. All or nothing approach. Though for regular playthrough, playing Barbarian as off-tank/dps I would not worry about having stats from OP in party. They are fine.

So which weapon focus? Every one except Peasant. If you like swords, you also get axes and morningstar with high interrupt. Adventurer gives estoc and life leech fail and Noble DR bypass maces and fast daggers and rapiers. I would go with esthetics/role playing. There are weapons (talents) around to complement every build.  

I intend to pick only one focus and one weapon style, i feel like if i'm going jack of all trades i'll end up with a not-so-special warrior type, and as i said in another post the High Res is for dialogues only, i didn't even look at its bonuses, i just know it somehow mitigate the losses i get from low Perception but i'm not really concerned on the resilience here, some sacrifices i'm willing to make for some extra dialogue (like might 16 and not maxed, unless it ain't really worth it in any case). So if i can fill Res with items instead i can go a little more optimal i think...

so, the question is really about how much DR bypass is important in hard mode, and if esthetics can overcome it right? Estocs/Stilletos/Maces vs the cool looking weapons

thanks for your help!

Not really, consider other talents/abilities you will take as Barbarian. It does not have to be master of nothing but can be master of "best" weapons. If you could for example equip two life (endurance) draining weapons on decent speed and accuracy with decent armor it would make high health/endurance Barb doing high damage pretty much invincible for large part of the game. This is possible/feasible only by picking two weapon focus talents as far I know.

There are also other advantages in being able to use more variety of weapons, especially for fast 2w warrior in party. Say, disorient on hit or even being able to wield the most efficient weapon for any encounter (Secondary Damage or Slaying tailored to fight). Actually, if any class should switch between weapon sets its probably Barbarian aside from reloading snipers. But anyway .. you like something else so that's fine.

On hard I would not know. If you pick Vulnerable Attack (5 DR bypass at 20% less attack speed) it could be enough to make difference even with non DR bypass weapons. Pick what you like most and adjust other parameters, like Vulnerable Attack or Mig.

http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Unique_Weapons

Edited by knownastherat

For my Barbarian, I picked WF: Ruffian and set him up to dual wield sabres. Each of these have just slightly less damage than a single 2H weapon, and dual wielding them seems to make them attack even faster, which means some serious DPS. With the right enchantments, you can even account for enemies wearing plate armor, as well as others with high DR against slashing damage. Mine could wade into a burly brawl, and quite literally blend the whole lot into mincemeat.

WF: Ruffian also means I could set him up with a club+stiletto for his second weapon set, for the rare occasions that dual sabres weren't cutting it. Enchanted those with Vessel and Spirit slaying, so it's typically used as my Barb's anti-undead set.

Nature Godlike

Mig: 18

Con: 3

Dex: 19

Per: 3

Int: 20 (Old Vailla)

Res: 15

1: Whatever you want. You most likely will not be using it later in the game. On the Watcher I'd always go for Frenzy though, the Barbaric Yell or whatever it's called is almost the same as that Watcher ability you get after you reach Defiance Bay

2: Weapon Focus

3: Blooded

4: Hold the Line

5: One Stands Alone

6: Two Weapon Style

7: Threatening Presence

8: Accurate Carnage

9: Vengeful Defeat

10: Barbaric Blow

11: Heart of Fury

12: whatever, doesn't really matter

Expect to be knocked down, it's part of the build. Use a second chance item (either Edér's armor or the Ring of Wonder from Defiance Bay)

This build was easily the highest damage dealer in the party, among which a Ranger, a Cipher and a Wizard. Though, to be honest, a short time of that run the old version of One Stands Alone was still at work, but even after the patch the other partymembers never caught up. In fact, the difference increased if I recall correctly.

edit:

Was on PotD btw, so I see absolutely zero reason to go for a higher constitution on Hard mode.

Edited by Psychevore

I went

MIG 16

CON 15

DEX 10

Per 3

Int 18

Res 16

I basicly copied the stats from a guy on youtube who had some videos of him doing TCS on a barb. Tho, this was pre-patch, but the stats should still be good. And I prefer a more balanced spread than harddumping several stats.

The guys name on youtube was KeyenPOE. Might wanna check it out.

thanks for the replies

any more thoughts on weapons?

Whatever feels right tongue.png

I used battle axes on mine. For no other reason but axes and barbarians going together in my mind

Though I thought about Rapiers for the accuracy bonus.

Edited by Psychevore

thanks for the replies

Dual-wielding sabers is probably the best damage overall, but it will take you a while to find two good sabers. Luckily, Weapon Focus: Ruffian also includes clubs and stilettos, and you can get good weapons in those categories fairly early to tide you over.

If you're still toying with the idea of using a two-handed weapon instead of dual-wielding, I think you'd be good with either Soldier or Adventurer. Estocs are one of the most damaging base weapons in the game, but itemization isn't great. Weapon Focus: Soldier boosts the excellent unique greatswords and also pikes, in case you need to switch to a reach weapon for a fight.

thanks for the replies

Dual-wielding sabers is probably the best damage overall, but it will take you a while to find two good sabers. Luckily, Weapon Focus: Ruffian also includes clubs and stilettos, and you can get good weapons in those categories fairly early to tide you over.

If you're still toying with the idea of using a two-handed weapon instead of dual-wielding, I think you'd be good with either Soldier or Adventurer. Estocs are one of the most damaging base weapons in the game, but itemization isn't great. Weapon Focus: Soldier boosts the excellent unique greatswords and also pikes, in case you need to switch to a reach weapon for a fight.

i've decided for this, thanks.

I'd go with the reach weapons, either pike or quarterstaff.  Striking from behind a tankier character lets you carry lighter armor than you'd normally be able to get away with, which translates to a large DPS increase.  I'd go with pike, since you spread stuns on crit with Tall Grass, and the Soldier specilization lets you also carry greatswords in case you're forced into close combat, and one of those both drains endurance and has a speed modifier.  That's two of the best 2h weapons in the game for hitting multiple enemies.

This strategy also negates many of the problems Barb's mediocre deflection (and worse with Frenzy) causes.

IMO, a pikebearer wearing a really good robe and a blunting belt is at least as survivable and damaging as a plate-wearing sabre friontliner.

Edited by Manty5

Battleaxes kind of lose their point IMO, because the two best unique Sabres you can get both have the same +crit mod that battleaxes have, AND they have near-equivalent damage to individual 2H weapons to boot. Dual-wielding them is like DWing two 2H weapons, and if it's those two uniques, both are +crit as well... yeah. Buzzsaw, anyone?

BTW, I've found a Shieldbearer Paladin complements my DW Sabre Barbarian nicely. I built my Shieldbearer as a Tank, and she's the perfect partner to my Barb's Spank. Shielding Flames deals with the Barb's deflection penalty from Frenzy nicely, and that's before Reinforcing Exhortation to make him tankier than he should be by right. Plus Hastening Exhortation to make him attack even faster. And when he falls, Reviving Exhortation to get back on his feet, and primed for yet another 'explosion'. 

(Of course, you have to make the Paladin your Watcher character if you want to get her full potential out of her, so eh.)

Aumaua Barbarian

Might 21

Con 8

Dex 18

Per 4

Int 15

Res 12

Put him in Sanguine Plate (don't forget to enchant it for better DR) and Shod-in-Faith and you can send him into the fray like a true barbarian.  Hiding behind other party members to poke at the enemy isn´t the true barbarian style.

Remember that time when Conan hid behind his friends and poked at his enemies with a stick?  Well neither do I because it NEVER HAPPENED!!!

Edited by Razorchain
  • Like 2

My current build (as usual solo PotD /shrugs)

Boreal Dwarf (RP lol and also +15 accuracy works in many fights Act I/II) Godlike would probably be better but I don't want to hear anything about cheap

Mig 21

Con 19

Dex 17

Per 15

Int 3

Res 3

Weapon Focus Adventurer. The only encounter I cannot beat at level 8 is top floor of the lighthouse atm. Though, if I would enchant Gaun's fail to Spirit slaying (and secondary Burn as I have Shock on it ..) it would probably be doable. I mean I tried and it looked alright.

Do you get interrupted much with 3 Res? I remember making a 3 Res melee char when I just started with the game, but rerolled because I didn't like how it got interrupted in tutorial. I suppose flail should be ok because of fast attack and thus small interrupt windows, but what about estocs (do you use them at all)?

Edited by MadDemiurg

Depends, on attack speed/recovery and interrupt of enemy.

Say Guls I switch to fail and drain enough health to win. Obviously, not getting hit by 8 but like 3 at the same time is essential so butt in corner or choke or figurine. I intended it to be "interrupt" build at first, having high Con aiming for the Morningstar in stream .., but then I figured high Ref is not so bad even without interrupt (blows). The answer to not getting interrupted (too much) I found when playing Wiz ~ Dex. Regardless, its going rather smoothly. I mean level 5 with relative ease before Caed Nua, there winning both fights without scrolls and say gimmicks just standing there hitting. Nothing try-hard so far. So I think it kinda works.

edit: estoc works as you suspect. but if it hits it hit so hard like 44 carnage that often its worth the wait. depends on encounter/enemy. I switch mindfight too if needed but usually just beat them. I use pots for difficult fights, aim, attack speed, health  .. I have so much health.

Edited by knownastherat

Quite interesting and unconventional approach.

What are your armor/weapon preferences?

Gaun's share obviously, but 1h or DW with something else? Also graze -> hit conversion should be decent on barb because of -84% damage penalty on carnage graze (so you really don't want to graze)? So maybe 1h style flail/sabre(purgatory or resolution)?

Armor - think heavy for DT as I don't think you can get interrupted during recovery and you get hit a lot?

Edited by MadDemiurg

Idea:

Moon Godlike 

18/19/19/3/4/15

Have your Cipher learn Pain Block + Pain Link.

You would also need a Healer (Druid/Priest) and a second Tank once your Barbarian dies.

Tactic:

Send you Barbarian into the monsters cast Pain Link and heals on him, 1/4 of every damage he takes is applied on all the monsters in range. If you think he is near dead, cast Pain Block, heal him up and start over.

Result:

Lets assume he has 400 Endurance with buffs, you heal another 200 and there are 10 monsters... that would make him deal 1500 Damage through the link + whatever his Carnage does. 

I dont think there is another class or even combo that can deal 2000 damage that quickly^^

(Its all theory, I will test it but so far havent)

Edited by Prokktor

Quite interesting and unconventional approach.

What are your armor/weapon preferences?

Gaun's share obviously, but 1h or DW with something else? Also graze -> hit conversion should be decent on barb because of -84% damage penalty on carnage graze (so you really don't want to graze)? So maybe 1h style flail/sabre(purgatory or resolution)?

Armor - think heavy for DT as I don't think you can get interrupted during recovery and you get hit a lot?

I am not set on those yet, however, as I mentioned earlier I do believe weapon choice determines Barbarian build, at least for my purpose, and in sense whole playthrough as some weapons need to be adventured for. Weapon focus Adventurer  mainly for endurance drain from early fail and disorient + DR bypass on estoc. One of the problems with PotD as it revolves around DR a lot imo.  

Full plate till recently now Heldrik's Coat but sometimes Sun-Touched Mail (don't have abilities so I am happy to cast something lol) or even Aru Breker, I mean difficult fights require set up anyway and routine (say catacombs where I just walked and killed everything spores included for the first time ever ..) are fine with what the game offers without much meta.

If I could get decent Crit chance I'd probably be happiest and picked weapons/talents accordingly but with ~ 10% crits it does not seem too attractive.

Edited by knownastherat
  • Like 1

Idea:

Moon Godlike 

18/19/19/3/4/15

Have your Cipher learn Pain Block + Pain Link.

You would also need a Healer (Druid/Priest) and a second Tank once your Barbarian dies.

Tactic:

Send you Barbarian into the monsters cast Pain Link and heals on him, 1/4 of every damage he takes is applied on all the monsters in range. If you think he is near dead, cast Pain Block, heal him up and start over.

Result:

Lets assume he has 400 Endurance with buffs, you heal another 200 and there are 10 monsters... that would make him deal 1500 Damage through the link + whatever his Carnage does. 

I dont think there is another class or even combo that can deal 2000 damage that quickly^^

(Its all theory, I will test it but so far havent)

Even with this theory. You make your barb lose 600 health, so you can pull this off like 3/rest max. You make your cipher spend 45 focus on facilitating the combo. 1 amplified wave would do 500+ total damage to said 10 mobs as well as CC them and leave you with 10 spare focus. Tbh I'd rather use that combo on ranger's pet as it has decent endurance and a lot of heath you can bring into play with heals, which would be fully restored after encounter. Don't think it's a great idea.

As for getting hit, random fight in Heritage Hill just to show

f30XzJ.jpg

Consecrated Ground heals me for 9.5 Gaun's 3-6 and as you can see I've done nothing. Not even positioned myself well. Maybe I will lose the fight, if I don't use anything else like pot or figurine but maybe not.

Not but needed to reposition.

05frDr.jpg

The fail is fine with shocking lash. Granted this was not the most difficult fight for my level, so while I do get hit, and interrupted, it does not seem to matter all that much.

Edited by knownastherat