Help! Think I've saved myself into a corner.

Ok so I'm playing on hard mode and never quicksave as i feel it's "cheating"

So I'm exploring Raedric's keep and opened a door from behind which turned out to be the front door!

I was ambushed by a load of goons. I've tried running but there's tons more down teh steps!

I've only that autosave so it looks like I'm goosed.

Any way I can get out of this? 

screenshot:
3HMSC56.jpg

First rule of any RPG: Save often.

Second rule: Save more often.

If you don't like Quicksaves for whatever reason, do hard saves.

Third rule: Save.

:p

No idea how to move out of that situation. Maybe the console can help.

• Like 5

Therefore I have sailed the seas and come

To the holy city of Byzantium. -W.B. Yeats

Χριστός ἀνέστη!

Pretty sure you don't want to go this route, given your rather... strict view on cheating, but: you could always go god mode with the console just so you can flee the area. Don't fight, just run. Nnot sure if you'd be able to run far enough to have combat end though).

Would turning the difficulty down to easy and then restarting, reload the encounter in easy mode? Otherwise just keep reloading until you get lucky with the rolls (try to hit everyone with a blind and move into the corner, or end the game if you want to stick with your philosophy.

I'll save the petty moralizing for other posters.  

What classes do you have?  

Do any have abilities that let them break engagement?  If so, use the break engagement ones and then run away.

Do you have summon tokens?  If so, use the summon token and then run away.

Edited by anameforobsidian

You can't get out of this because that would be cheating. ;) Stick to your philosophy, die valiantly and start a new game. Maybe next time rethink that plan of no saving?

^This.

The OP seriously needs to rethink is no quicksaves policy.  There's nothing "cheating" about quicksaves.  Quick saves are just a way to save yourself the hassle of doing a hard save.

And the point of using a lot of save files or quicksaves is to give yourself an out in a situation just like this.  So if he's unwilling to bend on this no quicksaves policy, then why isn't he playing in Trial of Iron mode, for crying out loud???

Thanks for the help guys.

I opened the console and enable God mode, killed that mob, then disabled God mode and went back inside. 

I would have started the game again but the beginning of RPGs almost always sucks so I'm just gonna keep going. 

I'm still not going to hard/quick save either. I was really enjoying getting my ass kicked, then reloading from the last auto-save and changing my tactics, avoiding that encounter/whatever.

I'm playing on GOG so I've no achievements to lose anyway.

Thanks! 

Also great "screen" shot

Any need for that? 

You can't just press print screen so seeing as I had my cheap camera beside me I thought I might just sue that.

Why be so cynical it's not a good way to go through and it won't endear you to too many people. 

Would turning the difficulty down to easy and then restarting, reload the encounter in easy mode?

No. Autosaves are created in the new area, while changing the difficulty only affects areas (or probably encounters) not yet visited in that game. (The area state gets saved into the game, and areas probably are set up when you first visit them.)

Therefore I have sailed the seas and come

To the holy city of Byzantium. -W.B. Yeats

Χριστός ἀνέστη!

That's the second toughest fight in Raedric's hold. I seriously doubt you can escape that unfortunate situation. Sorry =/

Yeah, you're probably right about this.  Entering the castle's courtyard from the keep's front door puts you in a terrible defensive position, as you can see in the OP's posted pic.  You're surrounded on 3 sides with no choke point to use defensively.

Also great "screen" shot

Any need for that? 

You can't just press print screen so seeing as I had my cheap camera beside me I thought I might just sue that.

Why be so cynical it's not a good way to go through and it won't endear you to too many people.

Print screen works, but it stores the image in the copy-paste memory instead of an image file. After using it you need to fire up the old paint program and use the paste button and then save the image.

Should have listened to Kolsc he does tell you that a frontal assault is a mistake.

Depends on your gear and level, once you get to 5+ the fight should be easy.

Edited by srlapo

Thanks for the help guys.

I opened the console and enable God mode, killed that mob, then disabled God mode and went back inside. 

I would have started the game again but the beginning of RPGs almost always sucks so I'm just gonna keep going. 

I'm still not going to hard/quick save either. I was really enjoying getting my ass kicked, then reloading from the last auto-save and changing my tactics, avoiding that encounter/whatever.

I'm playing on GOG so I've no achievements to lose anyway.

Thanks! 

So what if this happens again in another area or dungeon? Enable God mode again rather than restarting or saving because the saving is more of a cheat than God mode?

6ej155.jpg