3 Factions question

Role playing considerations aside, which of the three factions do people think is the best for the player's party?  Which gives the best item?  Which gives the best special ability?  And so on.

I've sided with the Dozen and the Knights thus far with my first two parties, and I think that the Dozen's item, the cloudpiercer bow is an excellent item, if you like bows, of course.  I've seen what it's said the Domenals supposedly give you and it doesn't impress me as much (the Misery's Fang stiletto) as the Cloudpiercer warbow or the sword (the Shame or Glory sword, IIRC) that you get from the Knights.  Of course, I suppose that it could be very much a matter of taste regarding which faction's reward weapon one prefers.

While the Misery's Fang stiletto could be used by anyone, it really looks like it'd be best used a rogue, due to its Vicious effect (i.e. Vicious: x 1.2 Damage against Prone, Stunned or Flanked enemies).

Edited by Crucis

The true deciding factor for me is the talents you gain from the factions:

Second Skin

+ 2 DT

Training from the Knights of the Crucible allows you to  gain more protection from wearing armor.

The Merciless Hand

+ 0.3 to critical damage multiplier

Training from the Doemenels allows you to do  increased damage with Crits.

Mob Justice

+ 5 Accuracy when attacking same target as an ally

The Dozens know how to deal with enemies: gang up  on them with everyone you've got. Now you know, too.

If your main character is a fighter or general front line class member you will want to join the Crucible Knights, so that +2 DT can really come into use. Also, the Crucible Knights work great as either a lawful good faction or as a bastion of elitist strength depending on your character's role-play priorities.  

I don't really use characters skilled in stillettos or warbows, so I never see the point in siding with anyone other than the Knights. However, the Dozens have the bonus of allowing you access to one of the best spears in the game so there is that to consider.

Edited by Venatio
  • Like 1

One can do the first quest for any/all factions and gain access to that faction's merchant without officially siding with that faction, I think, though I'm only sure of that in the case of the Dozens merchant (I went Doemenel on my first run, and Crucible on my second.)

There's really not much consequence beyond your own RP satisfaction, difference in ending slides, and the talent bonuses above. You can do the initial quests and access merchants of all 3 factions, even after you have committed to one.

I think the Crucible Knights are especially picky about who sides with them, but if anyone can confirm that the first quest of each faction won't turn the other against you then that would be a good thing to know. The first Dozens quest is very Knight friendly if you choose the peaceful resolution. 

Second Skin

+ 2 DT

Training from the Knights of the Crucible allows you to gain more protection from wearing armor.

The Merciless Hand

Training from the Doemenels allows you to do increased damage with Crits.

Mob Justice

The Dozens know how to deal with enemies: gang up on them with everyone you've got. Now you know, too.

If your main character is a fighter or general front line class member you will want to join the Crucible Knights, so that +2 DT can really come into use. Also, the Crucible Knights work great as either a lawful good faction or as a bastion of elitist strength depending on your character's role-play priorities.

I don't really use characters skilled in stillettos or warbows, so I never see the point in siding with anyone other than the Knights. However, the Dozens have the bonus of allowing you access to one of the best spears in the game so there is that to consider.

Is there any particular reason why you're writing in a font invisible on the forum background?

Second Skin

+ 2 DT

Training from the Knights of the Crucible allows you to gain more protection from wearing armor.

The Merciless Hand

Mob Justice

The Dozens know how to deal with enemies: gang up on them with everyone you've got. Now you know, too.

What spear would that be? Keep in mind that you can (strangely) still use the vendors of anyone you didn't ally with, and you don't need to ally with anyone to use their vendors, provided you are willing to perform an unrelated quest for them.

And it's annoying that all of the talents are useful in general.. except the KotC one; it's only useful to armoured melee combatants. The others are at least useful for everyone to some degree, although the Doemenel one is arguably of questionable value to tanks, I guess.

Second Skin

+ 2 DT

The Merciless Hand

Mob Justice

Is there any particular reason why you're writing in a font invisible on the forum background?

I have no idea what forum you're on, but on this forum, it's quite readable. :lol:

It's a dark, dark grey background. :p

t50aJUd.jpg

I'm on the mobile version, Luckmann. Try reading light azure on white.

But that's not our fault! :p

Using the default font is common courtesy. I'm not angry about it, mind you. Now that I've seen it in the full version, it looks like an honest mistake (often happens when people copy-paste, for example). It'd just be nice if everyone remembered about proper formatting. :)

Using the default font is common courtesy. I'm not angry about it, mind you. Now that I've seen it in the full version, it looks like an honest mistake (often happens when people copy-paste, for example). It'd just be nice if everyone remembered about proper formatting. :)

Sorry about that, I had not realized that the font color was an issue. I thought the white colored letters stood out better.

I've done a little bit of experimenting, and from what I've found the factions aren't that prickly about interactions so long as you don't pick up heavy negative rep with them and don't accept any of the faction quests that lock your choice in .The one caveat I've found is that the doorman will stop you from getting into the Doemnel house (and to their merchant) if you have a negative rep with House Doemnel or sided with one of the other factions, but you can circumvent that by triggering the burglary quest and then going straight to the Doemnel mansion and telling the guard you're there to show them the note. If you enter with a valid reason once the doorman won't bother you about it again, even if you later pick up negative Doemnel rep, side with another faction, or clear the quest by warning the other noble of the plan. The merchant quests are open regardless of your choices (aside from the aforementioned thing with the Doemnels), and the faction quests don't seem to send you places you couldn't get anyway, so the talent is the only real difference gameplay-wise. A lot of people seem to think that the variable enchantment spear you pick up in that one ruin is tied to the Dozens quest, but I can confirm that that area becomes open to absolutely everybody at the end of act 2 so it's by no means exclusive.

• Like 2

Sorry about that, I had not realized that the font color was an issue. I thought the white colored letters stood out better.

It does on the normal forum, I actually wondered what Rosveen was going on about myself as I don't use the mobile version either and never even thought about it.  That's the issue nowadays with multiple platforms to view something on the internet, personally think websites should strive to ensure this sort of thing doesn't happen, such as using the same colour scheme by default but I don't know whether it's feasible with the software they use for the mobile version.

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

A lot of people seem to think that the variable enchantment spear you pick up in that one ruin is tied to the Dozens quest, but I can confirm that that area becomes open to absolutely everybody at the end of act 2 so it's by no means exclusive.

Oh, well that is good to know. Certainly takes a mark off the Dozens in my book anyhow. 

It does on the normal forum, I actually wondered what Rosveen was going on about myself as I don't use the mobile version either and never even thought about it.  That's the issue nowadays with multiple platforms to view something on the internet, personally think websites should strive to ensure this sort of thing doesn't happen, such as using the same colour scheme by default but I don't know whether it's feasible with the software they use for the mobile version.

There's also different forum styles. I use a style with black ink on white-ish background, because the other way around really is a PITA to read. Bright letters on a dark background is a crime against decent eyesight. :D

Therefore I have sailed the seas and come

To the holy city of Byzantium. -W.B. Yeats

Χριστός ἀνέστη!

There's also different forum styles. I use a style with black ink on white-ish background, because the other way around really is a PITA to read. Bright letters on a dark background is a crime against decent eyesight. :D

Funnily enough my niece has dyslexia and finds black on white background hard to read while white on black is fairly easy for her, which is quite common for people with dyslexia.  It's annoying that e-ink readers don't give the option to invert the ink on them (it can be done, kindles will actually display the page inverted initially for a second or two when you change pages).

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

A lot of people seem to think that the variable enchantment spear you pick up in that one ruin is tied to the Dozens quest, but I can confirm that that area becomes open to absolutely everybody at the end of act 2 so it's by no means exclusive.

That is 100% certain? Even so that most likely would mean that if people do it at the time you mentioned then you would miss out on cloudpiercer, right?

Edited by Fessels

That is 100% certain? Even so that most likely would mean that if people do it at the time you mentioned then you would miss out on cloudpiercer, right?

Lle a Rhemen is 100% confirmed. I'm currently playing a Monk and sided with Crucible Knights for extra armor, and the customized spear is part of my weapon set. After act 2, the key to opening the ruins is permanently inserted into its slot so it's wide open to everybody.

You're quite right about Cloudpiercer though (and Shame or Glory + Crucible Knights officer armor, if you don't side with the Knights). I completely blanked on the quest reward uniques since I usually go with the Knights and theirs are not terribly impressive but they're definitely a factor to consider.

Lle a Rhemen is 100% confirmed. I'm currently playing a Monk and sided with Crucible Knights for extra armor, and the customized spear is part of my weapon set. After act 2, the key to opening the ruins is permanently inserted into its slot so it's wide open to everybody.

You're quite right about Cloudpiercer though (and Shame or Glory + Crucible Knights officer armor, if you don't side with the Knights). I completely blanked on the quest reward uniques since I usually go with the Knights and theirs are not terribly impressive but they're definitely a factor to consider.

That is good to know for the future, thank you Aea.  :)

As for Cloudpiercer, well I want it for Sagani or Durance ... so I guess I will join the Dozens this time. ( And with a next character I will join the Knights. )

Edited by Fessels