Massive bug issue upon starting game

PGD_FC

Question

I have recently purchased the game on steam but the problems I have came across have made the game quite difficult to play.

Description: 

There is actually multiple problems that occur upon starting the very first part of the game.

1. There seems to be frames missing for the characters. Sometimes the other party member will become invisible. When moving my character he seems to stop in some sort of running position. When enemies die, there is no dying animation. Instead they just stand still. 

2. When attempting to pick something up the character will instead run to the middle of the map. If the item is meant to progress the story it will eventually activate however it takes a while

3. In combat there are multiple problems. In mid-combat the characters just kind of freeze and nothing happens (When it's unpaused of course.) When combat ends one of the characters sometimes refuses to move. 

This is all within the first 10 minutes of playing the game. I have already validated the game files through steam and reinstalled it once. I got a sinking feeling about what happens if I play any further. 

Steps to Reproduce the Issue:

I am not quite sure what there is to say about this as these all started immediately as I started playing the game. 

Important Files:

My specs are as follows : 

OS X Yosemite Version 10.10.1

Model: Macbook Air (Mid 2012)

Processor: 1.8 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4000 1024 MB

I have attached my player log which upon a cursory glance shows the errors.

Thank you in advance for helping me solve this issue. 

Player.log.zip

7 answers to this question

Welcome to the forums PGD_FC,

There seem to be issues with OpenGL on your system. Try checking for OpenGL system updates and also try updating the Intel HD4000 driver.

Be aware that the HD4000 is, like other Intel graphics chips, a very poor performer compared to AMD/Nvidia and therefore you will see sluggish performance with PoE (though not the problems you describe).

Edited by AstralWanderer

Hi AstralWanderer thank you for your help. Unfortunately after updating the problems seem to be persisting. OpenGL updates along with the mac os however So I can't say with absolute certainty that it was properly updated.

Hmm, by chance would the error look something like this? I'm not really fluent when it comes to looking through these logs

May 18 14:03:40 REDACTED-Air.home WindowServer[168]: Display 0x4273c00 released by conn 0x1091f
May 18 14:03:45 REDACTED-Air kernel[0]: Sandbox: steam_osx(459) System Policy: deny file-write-unlink /Users/REDACTED/Library/Saved Application State/com.valvesoftware.steam.savedState/restorecount.plist
May 18 14:03:47 REDACTED-Air.home Console[496]: Failed to connect (_consoleX) outlet from (NSApplication) to (ConsoleX): missing setter or instance variable
May 18 14:03:48 REDACTED-Air com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.imfoundation.IMRemoteURLConnectionAgent): The _DirtyJetsamMemoryLimit key is not available on this platform.
May 18 14:03:49 REDACTED-Air.home coreaudiod[225]: 2015-05-18 02:03:49.832512 PM [AsyncConnection] ### Connect 1 to 192.168.1.5:5000 failed: 64/0x40 EHOSTDOWN
May 18 14:04:41 REDACTED-Air.home ntpd[176]: time set +1.019708 s

I redacted my name.

Don't use OSX so can't be sure on the exact meaning of the error messages but an online search brought up the following possibilities:

• Disable the Steam overlay if active;
  • Check your fonts for any problems (duplicates, etc) using Fontbook or a similar tool and remove any that apply (see this thread for more details);
  • Try creating a new account in Yosemite and running PoE with that.

Hi PGD_FC,

I am sorry your having these issues. I created a bug report and copy the link here. Hopefully, we can get a solution for your issues.

Got a bug :cat:?? Help us squish it!

• In your report Include your *save file* (C:\Users\YourNameHere\Saved Games\Pillars of Eternity) and ...
  • PC: *output_log.txt* (In your PillarsOfEternity_Data folder)
  • Mac/Linux: *Player.log* (In your Unity folder)

• Thank you for your help!