No one wanted horse armour, no one needed horse armour, and yet it was hugely influential as everyone could see that you could nonetheless sell sh*t no one wanted or needed for actual money. So beware of romances. You'll never know what you're about to start. :D

;)

You know what they say, don't you? The Mythbusters proved that you can polish it and if it's served on a silver platter it might rake in some cash. The horse armor may be a legendary example, but the more brazen ones are microtransactions for online games.

You know, I'm perfectly fine without romances, but you all have some awfully unconvincing reasons for their exclusion. 

In principle I have nothing against romance options in games. But most of the times they're just tagged on without offering a convincing reason for the player romancing NPC X or Y. A rather nice example would be NWN2 where my chaotic/evil female wizard romanced the Paladin for spite. Because it was possible and because it was good for a laugh.

If there's a good backstory involved, I have nothing against it. And before anyone tires me out with another ramble about Bioware's gay agenda, I have no problem with same sex romances either, as long as the character's backstory supports them.

Edited by abaris

Hell, I don't know where to go for this BUUUUUUUUUUTTTT

Puuuullleeeeeeeaassee pullleeeaaaaasee someone make romance dlc packs?

I just got the convo with aloth being all concerned over me and I'M FREAKING IN LOVE.

So, a suggestion, 

Make dlc packs and sell them for like $10 each person and $35 for all of them. .. that IS if I get enough people on BOARD this thing.

And that way, the people that want to keep to their story CAN and the people that romance the ears off of a certain elf (cough) CAN. 

...plus.

YOU GUYS DENIED ME MY SAND ROMANCE DAMMIT D8 

(cough)

RESUME.

So reply if you'd be up for it!

Programming doesn't work like that.

You can't just "plug in" some new data into a pre-existing piece of software and viola. This is why things like Jarrik in ME3 and Sebastian in DA2 being billed as DLC were such a big controversy (Shale is a different story, as that was cut content put back in due to the delay). I know it seems trivial, but you are asking them to essentially re-do the entire game.

Edited by Bryy

Normally I don't mind that people are wanting their romances in RPGs, but I have to agree with Rosveen on the big facepalm. I find romances in games are generally contrived, awkward, often juvenile, and don't particularly add anything to the story or my gameplay experience. I'd far prefer that any time spent on DLCs were spent on something (anything) other than romances.

I would buy the pooping DLC someone mentioned earlier in the thread.  Especially if it involved poop talents and possibly special attacks/finishing moves.  Maybe I would bother with food in the game if it played into the pooping quests.  I'd like to poop on the altars of some of the gods that I disagree with and any defeated enemy that particularly annoys me - right before finishing them off.  Perhaps a watcher could even poop on their soul and leave it stained for eternity.

That aside, romance would have been cool but I see no need to add it to the current game.  Perhaps budget will allow for it in a sequel.

Hmmm, I could see a pretty interesting talent chain for that pooping DLC:

Cow Flop: sets a trap that slows down opponents as well as has the possibility of nauseating them for 10s (Fort save).

Road Apples: gives the character 5 ranged attacks, much like grenades, that can be thrown for poison damage on a successful hit.

Montezuma's Revenge: player sickens opponent with debilitating craps, causing them to double over and void bowels for 10s. No other actions possible for opponents if attack is successful.

Coiler: a small AoE trap that causes prone and sickened status (Will)

Air Biscuit: a large AoE gas attack that causes sickened status for 15s (Fort).

Hmmm, I could see a pretty interesting talent chain for that pooping DLC:

Cow Flop: sets a trap that slows down opponents as well as has the possibility of nauseating them for 10s (Fort save).

Road Apples: gives the character 5 ranged attacks, much like grenades, that can be thrown for poison damage on a successful hit.

Montezuma's Revenge: player sickens opponent with debilitating craps, causing them to double over and void bowels for 10s. No other actions possible for opponents if attack is successful.

Coiler: a small AoE trap that causes prone and sickened status (Will)

Air Biscuit: a large AoE gas attack that causes sickened status for 15s (Fort).

Don't forget Chocolate Dragon: Summons a corn studded serpent that breaths toxic gas and blinds targets with its claws if they fail a reflex check.

Can't we have an RPG without romance requests? They're imaginary people.

Go outside and get a real gf. 

I really hate these replies.  It's called a ROLE PLAYING game.  Meaning, you make believe stuff.  Like, for instance, that you are some hero that fights dragons and undead.  Or, maybe you pretend you're a gambler that is willing to risk it all, when you've never played a game of cards in your life.  So, personally, I don't understand why there AREN'T romance options.  If you want to hit on that hot paladin chick with feathers, why shouldn't you be allowed to do that?  What if, as crazy as it sounds, you actually ARE attracted to her, based on how she is written, or is voice-acted, or, however you would like to frame it.  Maybe, for instance, you are playing as a similar paladin character, and you really dig "how she takes care of business". 

The fact that they decided not to include romances, baffles me like their decision to not allow one to be a thief (meaning, to pickpocket, or at least try to pickpocket, whoever you would like, or to sneak into people's homes at night, or when they aren't there, to steal from them).  It limits and reduces your role-play abilities and opportunities.  And, it runs contrary to every single game that they referenced in their "inspired by, spiritual successor of" in the Kickstarter.  Every one of those games featured thievery and romance options. 

• Like 2

"1 is 1"

I really don't need a romance in RPG games.

Political intrigues, a real system of choices and consequences (like the one from Alpha Protocol, where things bite you in the rear when you expected less), interesting factions, less black and white and more grey and neutrality, those are some of the things that i'd love to see in an RPG game. The first Witcher, Alpha Protocol, Fallout 1+2+NV offered that. Morrowind had some nice politics, despite using the classic save the world. 

If you think that the lack of romance is reducing the RP, please try a real game of D&D and see how many will agree to include a romance with their character. And if you have strong feelings towards an animated character that has basically zero personality (and most companions in POE are like that), i have no comments.

I'd rather see a better story, more interesting NPC, better gameplay mechanics. 

I do agree with the thievery part. 

• Like 1

No one wanted horse armour, no one needed horse armour, and yet it was hugely influential as everyone could see that you could nonetheless sell sh*t no one wanted or needed for actual money. So beware of romances. You'll never know what you're about to start. :D

;)

You know what they say, don't you? The Mythbusters proved that you can polish it and if it's served on a silver platter it might rake in some cash. The horse armor may be a legendary example, but the more brazen ones are microtransactions for online games.

Even though TES IV: Oblivion's horse armor is always the example that people go with when they want to diss DLCs, I find it to be quite interesting how cosmetic DLC/in-game purchases are currently most acceptable form of DLC/in-game purchases that there are. Like how people praise Valve on how they only sell cosmetic stuff for Dota 2 and TF 2, and how companies that sell DLC/in-game purchase items that actually have non-cosmetic effects are vilified for supporting pay-to-win methodology. As Oblivion had several item DLCs, but only the Horse armor was such that only changed cosmetics of the game.

Pickpocketing has always been pretty lame.  Mainly because it's so easy to just reload and try again.  I'm fine without that being in the game.  Similar thing with the whole random encounter when resting system that the older games had - if things go south, just reload.

Just get an eharmony account

I'm too afraid to look this up... What is that?

It is a dating website. Nothing freaky, I used it myself a bit back when I was single.

I guess the implication is that promancers are all single, pining to be in a relationship. I can neither confirm nor deny this accusation.

• Like 1

Every one of those games featured thievery and romance options.

I'm having trouble recalling the romance options in IWD and IWD2...

Well it depends on how you roleplayed your party. Mine had seven orgies before they even got to Kuldahar.

• Like 1

Every one of those games featured thievery and romance options. 

I'm having trouble recalling the romance options in IWD and IWD2...

I really hate these replies.

Yep. No need to go all ad-hom and make it personal.

Considering IWD was nothing but a dungeon crawl, essentially, yes, I forgot about that.  Personally, I don't really consider it an RPG, given it really only allows you to fight, has no recruitable NPCs, and features very little role-playing opportunities.  I can personally say I never could finish either IWD or IWD2.

I didn't ad-hom anyone- I said I hated those replies.  And, those replies, are, by nature, ad hom attacks.  Let me quote for you, "Go to a dating website", "

Go outside and get a real gf."  Those all make assumptions about every single person that says they want romance options.  Which is utterly idiotic.  So, if I am happily married, I can't want romance options in a RPg?  If, hypothetically, I am straight, but want to play a female character that gets to romance a dude, that isn't a valid possibility?  Because, that, for instance, would be truly role-playing, since it is pretty unlikely I actually desire to go get a sex change and start trolling Navy SEAL bars, hoping to land some hot dude.  

• Like 8

"1 is 1"

Obsidian should not waste their time on romance DLC. Give me the expansion and the sequel and the sequel's expansion and we can talk about crappy dlc's. I'd almost be willing to pay Obsidian to NOT make the romance DLC. 

• Like 2

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

So, if I am happily married, I can't want romance options in a RPg?  If, hypothetically, I am straight, but want to play a female character that gets to romance a dude, that isn't a valid possibility?  Because, that, for instance, would be truly role-playing, since it is pretty unlikely I actually desire to go get a sex change and start trolling Navy SEAL bars, hoping to land some hot dude.  

To be fair, I can see what you're saying, and I agree with it in principle. To an extent. Personally though, I find romances in games tend to either fall into the BioWare "Here, let me buy your affection with gifts and/or just being nice to you - oh, now you want to jump in the sack with me? Cool" category. Or they're incredibly juvenile, awkward, or stilted. I can't offhand recall any that didn't make me roll my eyes at least a little bit or just plain make me laugh out loud (and I really liked some of the characters in those games). I'd far rather have Obsidian pour any resources allocated to DLCs go to many other things before romance.

• Like 1

Go outside and get a real gf. 

ew no.

not a lessy romance.

I dont swing that way

Ahem. I'm gone to work for a week and have seen this blown up, well, now...

If you would see HERE

its OPTIONAL

meaning, if you don't want it, DON'T GET IT.

its dlc, its a happy medium..

for those who want it would be ECSTATIC, getting to rp and all that junk for their happy mental ending.

And obsidian makes money on the side

And for those who don't want that to "corrupt" their story can leave it as is.

Which.. I say romance more adds a more personal touch and depth to the story, because when I romance its not about if I'm licking ****, it about what happens between my dude and my chick. I don't like the sleeping part in anything anyhow. I tend to say "nooooooooooo" to that option.

...Plus... from what I'm seeing from my playthrough from PoE..

they would make a KILLER  dlc.

good lord.. Obsidian's writing on this KILL'S bioware's fan fiction writing.

make more games like this obsidian please D:

Obsidian should not waste their time on romance DLC. Give me the expansion and the sequel and the sequel's expansion and we can talk about crappy dlc's. I'd almost be willing to pay Obsidian to NOT make the romance DLC. 

:p why not both?

where the expansion INCLUDES the romance sidelines?

looololo

partially trolling xD

So, if I am happily married, I can't want romance options in a RPg?  If, hypothetically, I am straight, but want to play a female character that gets to romance a dude, that isn't a valid possibility?  Because, that, for instance, would be truly role-playing, since it is pretty unlikely I actually desire to go get a sex change and start trolling Navy SEAL bars, hoping to land some hot dude.  

To be fair, I can see what you're saying, and I agree with it in principle. To an extent. Personally though, I find romances in games tend to either fall into the BioWare "Here, let me buy your affection with gifts and/or just being nice to you - oh, now you want to jump in the sack with me? Cool" category. Or they're incredibly juvenile, awkward, or stilted. I can't offhand recall any that didn't make me roll my eyes at least a little bit or just plain make me laugh out loud (and I really liked some of the characters in those games). I'd far rather have Obsidian pour any resources allocated to DLCs go to many other things before romance.

Well, to be fair,

that's BIOWARE romance.

<_< They.. ah... make me go "8D... wtf" to it too.

I'm sure obsidian would do x100 more better job if they DID do it, because their writing doesn't wreek of fan fiction like style.

bioware thinks that they're the crap at writing and especially writing romances. But here I am reading from baldurs gate 2 as I play PoE alongside of it, and honestly even their little gem stinks up to high heaven.

..I partially wanted to see obsidian do romances as to see how they would handle it.

please, no more bioware romance. where its like you say, tts awkward and stinks.

If obsidian, I'm pretty sure it would be done right and beautifully.

Edited by GadgetSun

Aloth  :wub:  

...It should be illegal to be that fine. 8) or adorkable ♥

Yes, the problem lies in how they're implemented. In principle, a role playing game should offer as much roleplaying options as possible. For me, combat comes second to the opportunity to flesh out my player characters. So romances do add a nice touch for the character being more than just a bot. But I would be hard pressed to find even one game where it was done in a credible way.

I would love to have romance DLC. In fact that is the only thing I don't like about PoE...the lack of romance.

For me that is important in RPGs, and to make it optional content, keeps both camps happy. Please do this! Would buy!

To me, it isn't that hard for them to do it in convincing, compelling way.  It's simple.  Set a disposition for every joinable NPC.  Make it so that if your protagonist really adheres to doing things that are consistent with that disposition (rescuing kittens, kicking puppies into traffic, always avoiding confrontation), then you start to gain "romance options".  Meaning, dialogue that isn't solely related to their NPC quest, or for flavor.  Dialogue where they state they really like what you are doing....

Kinda like how it works in the real world.  Are you going to impress some hot vegetarian chick by taking her to a hotdog eating competition?  Obviously not.  People come to like you because they recognize similarities or you do things you both like. 

So, you do more and more of these things which "work" with their core disposition, and romance options become available.  For some characters, maybe that involves long periods of courtship.  For others, maybe they're just like, "Let's do it!".  Every NPC has romance options, some more, some less.  Maybe some like guys and girls.  Maybe some are exclusive.  Maybe some will only romance "fighter types", others, "mages/scholars". 

THAT would make it fun and interesting, and add tons of replay value. 

Maybe you could even add "forced romance options".  Not talking about rape.  I mean, let's say your actions AREN'T consistent with their disposition.  Maybe if they are significantly different, you gain the ability to try to "convince" them to like you.  Opposites attract and all that.  I still pine for the use of beauty and charisma, like in Arcanum.  If you were really beautiful and charismatic, you could romance whomever you wanted to.  Tell me that isn't pretty much the case in reality.  If the world's most interesting man started hitting on some dude, he might be so flattered as to say, "You know what?  Maybe I just COULD go gay, just for him..." :p

• Like 2

"1 is 1"

I didn't ad-hom anyone- I said I hated those replies.  And, those replies, are, by nature, ad hom attacks.  Let me quote for you, "Go to a dating website", "

Go outside and get a real gf."  Those all make assumptions about every single person that says they want romance options.  Which is utterly idiotic.  So, if I am happily married, I can't want romance options in a RPg?  If, hypothetically, I am straight, but want to play a female character that gets to romance a dude, that isn't a valid possibility?  Because, that, for instance, would be truly role-playing, since it is pretty unlikely I actually desire to go get a sex change and start trolling Navy SEAL bars, hoping to land some hot dude.

Yes I know. I was agreeing with you. That is why I said 'yep'.

I am on your side.

• Like 1