How to finish Durance's and Grieving Mother's quests?

Everyone is level 12, except for Grieving Mother and I've completed all, but the main quest. When can I complete "Travel with Durance" quests and Grieving Mother's "Dream" quests? I have talked and traveled with them throughout the game, but I can't yet complete them. I have NOT been to the Burial Island yet... Is that where I can complete those quests?

I know that it's possible to complete GM's quest relatively early in Act 3.  The key to advancing it appears to be camping.  Sleep outside of an inn or Caed Nua for a night or three and you should get a dream/vision/whatever that advances the questline. 

Or, it's possible that a script didn't fire correctly. 

I know that it's possible to complete GM's quest relatively early in Act 3.  The key to advancing it appears to be camping.  Sleep outside of an inn or Caed Nua for a night or three and you should get a dream/vision/whatever that advances the questline. 

I have slept near him many times and the quests did advance far, but not far enough to finish them entirely...

I know that it's possible to complete GM's quest relatively early in Act 3. The key to advancing it appears to be camping. Sleep outside of an inn or Caed Nua for a night or three and you should get a dream/vision/whatever that advances the questline.

I have slept near him many times and the quests did advance far, but not far enough to finish them entirely...
Durance's quest progresses when you return to Teir Evron after doing the quests that you get there... It's part of the main quest... I think you get two dreams from traveling/resting with him before that. Edited by JCPhoenix

I can't say whether there's a contingency if you keep him out of your party temporarily, but Durance's quest has two triggers that are parts of other quests. The first one is the Cinders of Faith quest; the quest item you're sent to retrieve will trigger a dialogue with Durance and open up additional conversation options with him which is needed for the second vision. For the second out-of-conversation trigger, you need to clear The Old Queen and The New King quest, then pray to Galawain while Durance is in your party. Durance will have an interjection when Magran speaks and then want a conversation with you afterwards.

The Grieving Mother has no out-of-conversation triggers that I'm aware of, but each time you have a vision of her, you need to describe that vision correctly to her to make her recognize the memory, then go through the new topics with her. Whenever a new vision is ready to trigger you'll get a note on the quest to the effect of 'maybe she'll have more to say later'.

In general though, clearing both of these quests is more an art than a science to me, so I'd recommend going through the topics for both. If you're not a Cipher (or a character with very high Perception) you also need to go through the Grieving Mother's dialogue options properly. If you don't know the right things about her, you do run the risk of permanently losing her from your party after the final vision.