Mad Max: Fury Road: 99% Fresh with 190 Critic Reviews

ktchong

Sure there are.  There are enough craziness for feminists and masculinists to go around. That's why I'm an equalist. Screw both those pyscho nazi evil groups. I don't care if a character is male or female as long as they entertain me. I don't rate movies based how many males or females they have or what type of role they're in. That's stupid and asanine. And, nazish. And, I am an anti nazi bigot.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I remember the great femme fatales of the Noir movement, fantastic characters, strong, intelligent and self motivated yet also flawed and believable. In some ways I agree with you Mr Volourn, in the last thirty or so years womens roles in cinema have slipped a little downhill. However that's probably the subject for another thread, let's share Mel Gibson jokes instead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTPSYbeNaa8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4-_L0IOaGM

Edited by Nonek

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

What's also funny is that the Mad Max series has had strong capable women characters too.  Mad Max 3 had thwe always awesome Tina Turner 9thoguh I know some dislike MM3; I'm not one of them).

You can have strong capable women ala Alien. But, don't make it a politica agenda. It's just crass and demeans the character. Let the character survive on its own merits. Now,  for me, Theron's character has been tainted by SJWs . Too bad too.

P.S. I heard a rumour that they are making the next Mad Max and it'll be focused on her character even more. LMAO

\

Jennifer Lawrence  + Mel Gibson > Tom Hardy + Charlize Theron any day any time anywhere

Edited by Volourn

It was a tour de force! Fantastic. Best action movie since I don't know when!

I watched Mad Max 2 in the cinema back in the day, and was blown away. This.... this is Mad Max taken to a new level. Salvador Dali and Hieronymius Bosch on drugs! Totally surreal. And totally worth the hype!

Was it almost as good as The Road Warrior?

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

P.S. I heard a rumour that they are making the next Mad Max and it'll be focused on her character even more. LMAO

The next film is titled, "Mad Max: Furiosa", so yeah.  It was reported to be shot back-to-back with Fury Road, so it should come out soon.

I've seen Fury Road.  It is the best Mad Max movie IMO.  The story is  streamlined and cohesive throughout the entire film - unlike the earlier three movies that have stories that fell apart or contrived at one point or another.

The weakest part of the movie is actually Tom Hardy.  His performance as Mad Max was underwhelming.  Tom Hardy tried to channel Mel Gibson, he tried to duplicate Gibson's Max; he even tried to copy Gibson's speech pattern and accent. He held back so he could be more like Gibson's Max.  Which IMO was a mistake.  Hardy should have given his own take on Max - i.e., a whole new different version of Mad Max.   So Hardy brought nothing new to the film.  Fortunately for the film, Mad Max is actually just a supporting character.  The main character is Furiosa.

Edited by ktchong

Was it almost as good as The Road Warrior?

That's hard to answer.

The Road Warrior, or Mad Max 2, as it was called here in Denmark, was a mind blowing experience in 1981.

Fury Road is a mind blowing experience right now.

Will is stand the test of time as well Mad Max 2 has? Only time can tell.

• Like 1

The Road Warrior is a landmark movie. It's a film that has forever altered the general population's view of what the apocalypse looks like, it's brimming with iconic imagery that has inspired countless movies, video-games (most notable being Fallout and before that Wasteland) and works of art.

Fury Road may be a brilliant movie, and I'm going to be seeing it this Sunday, but it too is something derived from The Road Warrior. It just won't have the same impact on popular culture that the original had.

The Road Warrior broke new ground. Fury Road treading a path already made for it.

• Like 3

When in doubt, blame the elves.

I have always hated the word "censorship", I prefer seeing it as just removing content that isn't suitable or is considered offensive

In addition to the guitar guy, there was another bad guy  - i.e., one of Immortan Joe's lieutenant - whose teeth are bullets.  When he needed to reload his gun, he pulled out his bullet-tooth and put it into his gun.  The movie certainly has a lot of colorful villains and henchmen.

Edited by ktchong
  • Like 1

\Anyways, I think this is one of those movies that looks like it can be fun and could be enjoyable but 3 things have turned me off to rushing to watch it:

3.  Theron's character looks legitly awesome and fun but  the SJWs and feminists ruined that by proclaiming that IF YOU HATE THIS MOVIE YOU ARE SEXIST AND HATE WOMEN.  lmao

The main plot is about the wives of Immortan Joe - or "breeders" as they are called in the movie - who tries to escape enslavement. In addition to his breeders-wives, Immortan Joe enslaved dozens of women, kept them impregnated at all time, and hooked up the pregnant slaves to milking machines - so the female "cows" would continuously produce milk to feed his army. So much for the feminism in the movie.

IMO, if the movie did not insert a strong female heroine to counterbalance all those helpless female slaves and breeders and cows and properties, it would have turned out to be very misogynistic. Imagine a movie with all those poor helpless women, who are relegated to demeaning roles as sex slaves and cows and breeders and properties; and their only hope is to rely on the Great White Man (i.e., Mad Max) to be their savior. That would have been a very sexist movie. Charlize Theron's Furiosa as the women's actual savior brings a much-needed balance to the extremely demeaning roles of other women in the movie.

• Like 1

I love the MRA outrage over this film so hard.

The tears sustain my lifeforce.

P.S. Also, the diea that men are so sexist that they hate strong female characters is ludicrous when  you remember the popularity of Alien amongst men.  LMAO And, that movie is DECADES old before the stupidity and evil of SJWs existed.

.... so are you saying MRAs don't exist or are you saying MRA Outrage is an "Ebil EsJayDoubleYew" conspiracy?

Just out of curiousity, how would you feel about an Alien 'continuation' in which Ripley was relegated to an underwhelming role by an underwhelimng actor with whatever popular male badass was currently in vogue and the second movie focused even more upon said character. Had they removed Mad Max entirely or had him only be involved in a cameo to show the continuity of the universe, it would be different. That's not the road they took however.

Edited by ravenshrike
  • Like 1

"You know, there's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it"

"If that's what you think, you're DOING IT WRONG."

"The main plot is about the wives of Immortan Joe - or "breeders" as they are called in the movie - who tries to escape enslavement. In addition to his breeders-wives, Immortan Joe enslaved dozens of women, kept them impregnated at all time, and hooked up the pregnant slaves to milking machines - so the female "cows" would continuously produce milk to feed his army. So much for the feminism in the movie.

IMO, if the movie did not insert a strong female heroine to counterbalance all those helpless female slaves and breeders and cows and properties, it would have turned out to be very misogynistic. Imagine a movie with all those poor helpless women, who are relegated to demeaning roles as sex slaves and cows and breeders and properties; and their only hope is to rely on the Great White Man (i.e., Mad Max) to be their savior. That would have been a very sexist movie. Charlize Theron's Furiosa as the women's actual savior brings a much-needed balance to the extremely demeaning roles of other women in the movie."

My problem isn't with the character. My problem is the push to make it about real life politics and sjwing. Instead of just an interesting action movie with interesting characters. Like I saio before, I read na article that made it clear that if you hate this movie you are a sexist piece of crap who hate women. Which is stupid since, again,  the Mad Max trilogy has had strong female characters. In fact, Tina Turner was a big part of Mad max3's advertisement and success (despite some people who label it 'weak') and even  gave her a (another) hit song. Not to mention Ripley of Alien series is a damn icon  while being a strong female characterand that series si beloved by males. The character stood on her own two feet without need of sjwing or fake pimping.

ravenshrike is 100%. the double standard is ludicrous.

I will refrain from judging the movie's actual quality til I watch it but the sjwing for it is EVIL (but that's expected. I expect a damn entertaining action movie. If I get that I'll be happy. :)

I would have no problem with a new Alien movie with a male lead.  But part of the formula of that movie is the strong female scientist who ends up kicking some butt.  Oddly enough they have the Predator movies set in the same universe, which tend to revolve around a strong male character.  

I think people spend too much time worrying about this stuff, while the majority of the world goes about their business just hoping the movie is entertaining.   :blink:  

• Like 1

I would have no problem with a new Alien movie with a male lead.  But part of the formula of that movie is the strong female scientist who ends up kicking some butt.  Oddly enough they have the Predator movies set in the same universe, which tend to revolve around a strong male character.  

I think people spend too much time worrying about this stuff, while the majority of the world goes about their business just hoping the movie is entertaining.   :blink:  

You're dodging the question. Would you accept an Alien movie with Ripley assigned to a lesser role and played by a much weaker actress than the main male lead? Hardy is nowhere near the same weight class as Theron.

"You know, there's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it"

You're dodging the question. Would you accept an Alien movie with Ripley assigned to a lesser role and played by a much weaker actress than the main male lead? Hardy is nowhere near the same weight class as Theron.

How am I dodging the question?  I said yes, I would have no issue with a strong male lead in an Alien film.  I will judge it by its individual merit.  

You can already argue that the guy that played the android was a much stronger lead than the female in the newest Alien movie.  Although, once again, Charlize Theron was there dominating. (if only she knew how to run sideways!)   :p

The crazy thing is Sigourney Weaver can still play a kick butt character, while Mel Gibson is pretty much past that.  It's all about the strength of the actor, I don't care what their gender is.  Why do you guys make such a big deal of it?

Edited by Hurlshot
  • Like 2

How am I dodging the question?  I said yes, I would have no issue with a strong male lead in an Alien film.  I will judge it by its individual merit.  

You can already argue that the guy that played the android was a much stronger lead than the female in the newest Alien movie.  Although, once again, Charlize Theron was there dominating. (if only she knew how to run sideways!)   :p

The crazy thing is Sigourney Weaver can still play a kick butt character, while Mel Gibson is pretty much past that.  It's all about the strength of the actor, I don't care what their gender is.  Why do you guys make such a big deal of it?

Except, once again, you're dodging the question. Prometheus was not an Alien movie. It was an Alternate Universe take on the xenomorphs. There was no Ellen Ripley. So, would you accept an Alien movie in which the script has a perfectly healthy Ellen Ripley relegated to the side stage but present for the majority of the movie and played by a much weaker actress than the actor playing the lead as a proper Alien movie?

In case it's unclear, I'd call bull**** on that one too, and be much more upset about it since the Alien movies resonate a lot more with me than the MM movies.

Tom Hardy will forever be "the clone of Captain Picard" to me. tongue.png

...the trailer for this movie makes me want to see it in the theater for the visual vista stuff alone (definitely some kewl looking bits in that trailer). But I'm not a huge Mad Max fan (seen them all, don't dislike but don't love either, find them often dull), so I'll probably skip it. The one critic I tend to at least like these days (James Berardinelli - he's not given to hyperbole, usually) gave it 3 out of 4 stars and had good to say about it. (edit - make that 3.5 stars. His new page layout is giving me eye fits).

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Except, once again, you're dodging the question. Prometheus was not an Alien movie. It was an Alternate Universe take on the xenomorphs. There was no Ellen Ripley. So, would you accept an Alien movie in which the script has a perfectly healthy Ellen Ripley relegated to the side stage but present for the majority of the movie and played by a much weaker actress than the actor playing the lead as a proper Alien movie?

In case it's unclear, I'd call bull**** on that one too, and be much more upset about it since the Alien movies resonate a lot more with me than the MM movies.

Gee, I'm sorry if you feel I was dodging your incredibly convoluted question.   :rolleyes:

You are clearly digging for something.  Let's just assume you found it and we can all move on with our lives.   :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I'd say that context matters, almost as much as the script. All I see from you is you going "I personally thought Mad Max wasn't the main character". And that isn't a good argument at all.

Edited by Bryy

If the story is consistent and isn't fourth wall breaking preachy I don't really care if they are trying for a feminist message. It's the guy who made the franchise so in my eye he can do what he wants with it.

As for "MRAs" hating the movie. This seems to be a masturbatory invention of sjw minds who made a huge self-congratulating deal about some site called Return of Kings (who don't even identify as MRA from what I gather) being butthurt. They of course went right on ahead and smeared that onto everyone "MRA" which is to say anyone who doesn't agree with them. And that snowballed into another spat.

Edited by Fighter
  • Like 1

Sorry to derail, but the whole Ripley / Alien conversation sort of shoots and misses the point. By a mile.

Alien has strong themes that are particularly relevant to women - pregnancy, rape, violation, motherhood and the strength required to manage (and finally triumph over) them all.

Ripley has to be female. Aliens 2 (the best of the series) wouldn't make any sense if she wasn't. It's only because in 1979 the idea of a powerful female lead was so revolutionary that this is at all controversial (which is why Alien is so important, and why cinema / popular culture will be forever in debt to Ridley Scott).

Please return to Mad Max, I haven't seen it yet. I'm hardly SJW of the year, but Alien is the best type of proto-feminist cinema. Sisters are doin' it for themselves without having to bash, traduce or make facile points about men.

• Like 3

sonsofgygax.JPG

This movie is rad. Seen it twice since Friday, and I don't often go to the cinema. I hadn't much followed any of the production or promotion, actually, even though I've always liked Max. Really all the PC bull is distracting from what's actually going on. Which is an action movie that actually delivers and has a sense for framing images and even pacing, which is an odd thing to say considering that it's 120 minutes on full-speed non-stop. Almost a pity that this isn't released as an alternate PG13 as well, as all those fluff directors couldn't excuse themselves that they were intentionally making movies for 14 year old boys -- those 14 year olds would demand better after watching this. It's interesting that it needed to a take 70 years old called babe to get out of family movie retirement, a cinematographer who was already enjoying life after Hollywood as well to do that. Hell of a ride -- and considering that there's so few talking, there's some emotional punches as well. As this too is partly a revenge story of kinds, it isn't as huge as it was in the original Max though. An equal to the infamous hunt pack mowing down Max' family is not to be found here.

Prior to my second viewing, the trailer for the new Terminator reboot was screening. And considering that trailers are running their respective movies in crunch-time, picking most of the punches and editing them into one shortie, it looked hopelessly out of sync in comparison. Don't know where Miller and crew would go from here though if they'd do another one. Trying to amp the action even more seems kind of pointless, as is trying to squeeze even more car crashes into another movie. If they do another, hopefully it will be as surprising as this one.

Edited by Sven_
  • Like 1

This movie is rad. Seen it twice since Friday, and I don't often go to the cinema. I hadn't followed any of the production or promotion, actually, even though I've always liked Max. Really all the PC bull is distracting from what's actually going on. Which is an action movie that actually delivers and has a sense for framing images and even pacing, which is an odd thing to say considering that it's 120 minutes on full-speed non-stop. Almost a pity that this isn't released as an alternate PG13 as well, as all those fluff directors couldn't excuse themselves that they were intentionally making movies for 14 year old boys -- those 14 year olds would deserve better after. It's interesting that it needed to a take 70 years old called babe to get out of family movie retirement, a cinematographer who was already enjoying life after Hollywood as well to do that. Hell of a ride -- and considering that there's so few talking, there's some emotional punches as well

The old-skool geezers wipe the floor with the Wheedon / Bay generation. I like it.

sonsofgygax.JPG