I don't think I understood you since I didn't say they should give me anything for free. What I said and meant was that I would like them to keep doing expansions and / or sequels for the game. You even quoted me saying that they already charged for the expansion.

We're on the same page, since this game has so much potential to expand on. What I don't get is the two parts bit, since it puts us, who didn't back the development - I didn't even know about POE before steam recommended it to me - in a kind of awkward situation. We more or less have to play an unfinished adventure or we have to wait for the second part to be released to the general public. Which is pretty much what I will be doing, since I can't imagine embarking on another playthrough, knowing full well that I won't get the full experience until several months later.

I don't think I understood you since I didn't say they should give me anything for free. What I said and meant was that I would like them to keep doing expansions and / or sequels for the game. You even quoted me saying that they already charged for the expansion.

We're on the same page, since this game has so much potential to expand on. What I don't get is the two parts bit, since it puts us, who didn't back the development - I didn't even know about POE before steam recommended it to me - in a kind of awkward situation. We more or less have to play an unfinished adventure or we have to wait for the second part to be released to the general public. Which is pretty much what I will be doing, since I can't imagine embarking on another playthrough, knowing full well that I won't get the full experience until several months later.

On top of that there's all those balancing and bug fixing we all know about so well now.

Let us not forget that they already charged for the expansion. So it's not free and I expect at least 15 hours out of it.

Honestly? Stating they'd not only make an expansion but give it to you as a reward tier was a friggin' risky (and really stupid) move.

Well, they didn't charge for the expansion, which was my point. They have always made it clear that the run-off funds and profit from pre-orders would go towards funding the expansion.

As for you thinking I was attacking you or whatnot, I did not mean for it to come off as that. I was merely expanding upon your thought. That 'honestly?' was not meant to be hostile.

They sold it as $25 add on to people that didn't got it as part of their reward or who wanted multiple copies of it. Which one could argue to mean that they charged already for expansion, even though they don't use that money to fund actual development of the expansion.

Edited by Elerond
  • Like 2

Its one expansion in two parts.

You keep saying that, but I still haven't seen that source I asked for.

http://www.shacknews.com/article/89004/obsidian-ceo-discusses-pillars-of-eternity-its-early-success-and-its-first-expansion

Not only that, but everyone who contributed to the Kickstarter will get both parts (which means assumedly you bought the ExPack as well).

• Like 1

I paid $20 for the expansion as an extra. If its now free can I get that back, or pay for the next one?

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Still, what I don't get is a company is releasing one expansion at two different times and expect their audience to stay tuned. That's not a syndicated tv show to end in a cliff hanger. That's a game and by not being able to finish it in one go, I don't see much of an incentive to buy one part before the final part is released. Doesn't seem to be a smart business decision, since players are bound to lose interest.

I get it that the backers are entitled to and deserve some privileges, but this approach doesn't seem to be a promising avenue. Now if they said, the backers got the whole thing at an earlier point and the general public at some not too distant future, but also the whole thing, that I would understand.

Edited by abaris

As an aside:

I remember Heart of Winter for IWD. Also helmed by Sawyer. It was so short that they put of Trials of the Luremaster (an expansion for the expansion) for free.

Edited by Shevek

Still, what I don't get is a company is releasing one expansion at two different times and expect their audience to stay tuned. That's not a syndicated tv show to end in a cliff hanger. That's a game and by not being able to finish it in one go, I don't see much of an incentive to buy one part before the final part is released. Doesn't seem to be a smart business decision, since players are bound to lose interest.

I get it that the backers are entitled to and deserve some privileges, but this approach doesn't seem to be a promising avenue. Now if they said, the backers got the whole thing at an earlier point and the general public at some not too distant future, but also the whole thing, that I would understand.

Actually releasing game in episodes actually is shown to be very good strategy that keeps players to come back and it gets much more press and bush radio time which brings more players for the game. Which is reason why so many adventure games have gone with episodic route and why publishers bring release DLC in timed internals for their games. 

I paid $20 for the expansion as an extra. If its now free can I get that back, or pay for the next one?

Its not free.

Its one expansion in two parts.

You keep saying that, but I still haven't seen that source I asked for.

http://www.shacknews.com/article/89004/obsidian-ceo-discusses-pillars-of-eternity-its-early-success-and-its-first-expansion

Not only that, but everyone who contributed to the Kickstarter will get both parts (which means assumedly you bought the ExPack as well).

If they said they would give the expansion for those who already contributed in the kickstarter what are they charging those $20 for?

As an aside:

I remember Heart of Winter for IWD. Also helmed by Sawyer. It was so short that they put of Trials of the Luremaster (an expansion for the expansion) for free.

Trials of the Luremaster was a truly excellent side adventure and dungeon crawl.

• Like 1

I'm concerned about this 2 part expansion.

According to howlongtobeat.com

TotSC had almost 20 hours (completionist)

ToB had almost 40 hours (completionist)

PoE expansions better be 20-40 hours per part!

Its one xpack in two parts. I'm expecting 6 to 10 hours per part.

Source? Because if that would be true, that'd be really goddamn sad. I would absolutely expect 20-40 hours per expansion pack.

40 sounds a bit much, yes, but I'm referencing it as thresholds. Minimum 20, maximum 40. Anything less than 20 would be unacceptable for a real expansion pack, and anything above 40 would just be ridiculously unreasonable to expect.

I'm hoping for 100 hours. Aim for the stars!

Those are just freaking ridiculous expectations. It took them 2.5 years to make 40-60 hour game and now you expect them to make 20-40 hours expansions in few months. Prepare to be disappointed I guess.

• Like 2

Those are just freaking ridiculous expectations. It took them 2.5 years to make 40-60 hour game and now you expect them to make 20-40 hours expansions in few months. Prepare to be disappointed I guess.

Of course, these aren't realistic assumptions. But it's not as if they're just starting out. They already worked on it during the main production. Otherwise it wouldn't be possible to release them within this year. It's also what I read in some online interviews.

Of course, these aren't realistic assumptions. But it's not as if they're just starting out. They already worked on it during the main production. Otherwise it wouldn't be possible to release them within this year. It's also what I read in some online interviews.

Of course what you say is true, but those numbers are still way too high. As you say the only way they are able to release anything this year is thanks to having well oiled production lines in place already.

I do wonder if each part is gonna be sold separately though. If it's basically 1 expansion but in 2 parts, I wonder if we buy the part that comes out if we have to buy the next part as well or if it will automatically download when the next part is ready? I don't really care that's up to obsidian. The dlcs from fonv were basically I think either somewhere between 10 and 20 dollars, I forget been so long and imho they were worth every penny. Especially dead money.

Also I heard the expansion was gonna be as big as the expansion for baldurs gate, but I'm wondering also if both parts combined are that big or is the first part gonna be that big?

I do wonder if each part is gonna be sold separately though. If it's basically 1 expansion but in 2 parts, I wonder if we buy the part that comes out if we have to buy the next part as well or if it will automatically download when the next part is ready?

I have a hard time believing Obsidian would require people to pay for each part separately, when they explicitly said they were making a "real" expansion pack. I have a feeling that it would leave people with a sour taste in peoples mouths if a old-school throwback like PoE tried something that just seemed similar to current DLC practices.

I do wonder if each part is gonna be sold separately though. If it's basically 1 expansion but in 2 parts, I wonder if we buy the part that comes out if we have to buy the next part as well or if it will automatically download when the next part is ready?

I have a hard time believing Obsidian would require people to pay for each part separately, when they explicitly said they were making a "real" expansion pack. I have a feeling that it would leave people with a sour taste in peoples mouths if a old-school throwback like PoE tried something that just seemed similar to current DLC practices.

If each part of the expansion can stand on its own (a big "if"), why shouldn't they be sold separately?  As long as it's for a reasonable price....

• Like 1

If each part of the expansion can stand on its own (a big "if"), why shouldn't they be sold separately?  As long as it's for a reasonable price....

A lot of ifs for something we don't know the first thing about. Not what it is, not when it is to be.

I'm concerned about this 2 part expansion.

According to howlongtobeat.com

TotSC had almost 20 hours (completionist)

ToB had almost 40 hours (completionist)

PoE expansions better be 20-40 hours per part!

Its one xpack in two parts. I'm expecting 6 to 10 hours per part.

Source? Because if that would be true, that'd be really goddamn sad. I would absolutely expect 20-40 hours per expansion pack.

40 sounds a bit much, yes, but I'm referencing it as thresholds. Minimum 20, maximum 40. Anything less than 20 would be unacceptable for a real expansion pack, and anything above 40 would just be ridiculously unreasonable to expect.

I'm hoping for 100 hours. Aim for the stars!

The problem with that is some people race through a game and expect length and then whine when it's short. Others take their time, get double the play time, and are fine. Can't make everyone happy. If you're counting the hours, you probably won't be happy.

A lot of ifs for something we don't know the first thing about. Not what it is, not when it is to be.

And most of the ifs are bs from the community.

DLC releases come a lot quicker than expansions.

From my perspective, Obsidian could release a new DLC package that enhanced the current game with new quests, new monsters, new spells, carefully designed battles using existing assets and a few new maps. Example: What if pirates or sea lizard army land at Defiance Bay, a carefully designed battle where invaders are constantly moving around the map would be most interesting, especially if the gates leaving Odra's Gift were closed and the PC's could not leave nor rest. A running battle, where the PCs had to use potions and food to keep up their strength. A true tactical puzzle. Example: Frost Giants attack one of the existing villages and PCs follow the trail through a maze of narrow Cliffside passages to the giant's lair in the snow capped mountains.

Edited by EdwinP

WoW first expansion came 3 years after release

Second expansion 4

Third 6 years

Fourth 8 years and so on

Half Life

First expansion came 1 year after release

2 came 3 years

Everquest 

First expansion came one year after release....and they kept releasing 2 expansions per year for a long time

Destiny's first expansion came only 3 months after release.

Skyrim released expansions for consoles every 6 months and every year for PC

So I wouldn't hold my breath before 6 months.

Two of those, and the worst offenders, are MMOs.  Different kettle of fish.  The others were big budget AAA games, which would need expensive new assets made for them.  Not saying 6 months is unlikely, just that I don't think it's easy to compare.

• Like 1

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams