Having to micro manage everything is just ridiculous, i just cant play it, i cant seriously, is tedious and boring to PAUSE, PAUSE,PAUSE,PAUSE, i laugh at people that say turn based breaks immersion NAH, this BS does breaks immersion, having to pause like crazy to issue orsers to every character is annoying, THERE IS TOO MUCH ****ING STUFF HAPPENING AT THE SAME ****ING TIME!!!! i cant take it, seriously it gaves me headache, then also not being able to rotate your camera to see stuff that is happeining behind a wall or a door?????????, REALLY????, your combat is a mess.

Are you ever going to fix your mess or going to keep inisiting trash mechanics are now a "FEATURE"?

I do hope they will add AI to NPCs in the future, but I don't think the combat, even without it, is all that bad.

Personally, I find little satisfaction in spastically smashing & mashing buttons to spam attacks and twitching like a epileptic having a fit to move my character around.  :w00t: i.e. so-called "action-rpg" combat. 

BG2 had rudimentary AI, but it only really worked with mod-based scripts. 

Edited by CybAnt1
  • Like 1

I like that immediately when someone points out factual evidence of a bad combat design in this game fanboys always jump to the conclution that is because the person in question plays CoD or likes Action RPG'S, even if that were truth that dosent serve as an argument or anything.

An improvement to enemy AI would be fine. As far as party AI goes, I'm rather glad they do nothing, other than seeking out the next opponent when their original one goes down. I like to choose my spells and abilities depending on the situation.

The only thing I may be comfortable with, is the approach DA:O took, where you could script certain basic behaviors in the strategy window. So, for example, telling your priest to cast restoration if one of your party members falls below a certain endurance value.

• Like 1

I like that immediately when someone points out factual evidence of a bad combat design in this game fanboys always jump to the conclution that is because the person in question plays CoD or likes Action RPG'S, even if that were truth that dosent serve as an argument or anything.

Hmm nice ad hominem there dude.  Maybe they are not fanboys but are just pointing out that it's not bad design just because you suck at the game?

• Like 3

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

I like choices. Probably for most encounters, I will be micro-managing all 6 party members.

For trash mobs, I like the choice of micro-managing 1-4, and maybe letting the rest do their own thing. 

The game would never be playing itself, because the Watcher would always be under player control. 

Personally, I think it's just silly that intelligent entities won't even defend themselves under attack, if the player gets up to get a snack and didn't notice a mushroom beast was sneaking up on his party before s/he got up. 

If party AI's on a toggle (maybe globally as well as individually) - and it should be - the coolest thing is people who never want to use it, can never do so. Win/win, as they say. 

Most people don't quite realize that there are multiple hidden quality of life features in PoE:

You can map F-keys to your spells and abilities freely, by hovering your mouse over the button and then hitting the key you want to assign it to. This will also show a new quickbar on top of the command card of the character containing all hotkey abilities.

You can also shift-click aim your spells to build an order list.

So, for example, I mapped Minolettas Minor Missile to F1 on my mage, Arcane Assault to F2 and the accuracy buff to F3. I want this mage to use the accuracy buff, then use Arcane Assault twice, then use Minoletta's on the enemies:

I hold shift, then press F3, press F2, click enemy, press F2, click enemy, press F3 and click enemy. Then I release shift.

--> Mage will use all those spells in order

--> Takes only a couple of seconds to do

--> Absolute no second pausing involved until everyone used up it's entire order queue

Especially when first and second level spells become per-encounter, mapping spells to hotkeys and using the order queue prevents a lot of headache.

• Like 1

I like choices. Probably for most encounters, I will be micro-managing all 6 party members.

For trash mobs, I like the choice of micro-managing 1-4, and maybe letting the rest do their own thing. 

The game would never be playing itself, because the Watcher would always be under player control. 

Personally, I think it's just silly that intelligent entities won't even defend themselves under attack, if the player gets up to get a snack and didn't notice a mushroom beast was sneaking up on his party before s/he got up. 

If party AI's on a toggle (maybe globally as well as individually) - and it should be - the coolest thing is people who never want to use it, can never do so. Win/win, as they say. 

Yeah I got up to get a snack the other day and the game finished itself before I got back - then it uninstalled itself - then it went online and found a new game and finished that one too - by the gods I love playing these games... ;)

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...

I am waiting for real time Romance AI in the game ....I'm still waiting  :cat:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

When I played the BG games I always turned the party AI off.  In IWD I found the scripts didn't always work the way described.  My Halfling rogue did her own thing if I didn't watch her.  

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg

Most people don't quite realize that there are multiple hidden quality of life features in PoE:

You can map F-keys to your spells and abilities freely, by hovering your mouse over the button and then hitting the key you want to assign it to. This will also show a new quickbar on top of the command card of the character containing all hotkey abilities.

Yes, I know. It's not my playing style however, since I'm rather into micromanaging step by step. I never was a big fan of hotkeys, which doesn't say anything about the system, just about my own preferences.

The only thing I may be comfortable with, is the approach DA:O took, where you could script certain basic behaviors in the strategy window. So, for example, telling your priest to cast restoration if one of your party members falls below a certain endurance value.

Yes that should help smooth the combat.

Hmm nice ad hominem there dude.  Maybe they are not fanboys but are just pointing out that it's not bad design just because you suck at the game?

Yeah i suck at a game with garbage combat mechanics.

Yeah I got up to get a snack the other day and the game finished itself before I got back - then it uninstalled itself - then it went online and found a new game and finished that one too - by the gods I love playing these games... ;)

Hahaha, you are so lame.

Better enemy AI is definitely more important at the moment, the weak AI undermines a lot of the combat for more experienced players.

I think making the queuing of actions more intuitive and obvious would help as well, as is I think a lot of players probably don't even know it's possible.

If you're worried about your character sitting around doing nothing after an action, the action complete auto-pause is one of the better auto-pause options.

Edited by MunoValente
  • Like 1

Better enemy AI is definitely more important at the moment, the weak AI undermines a lot of the combat for more experienced players.

Enemy AI is impossible in a game with such bad combat mechanics as PoE. All the AI has to do is aim straight for the squishies and they are dead with no tanks in the game there is no way to prevent this to happen other than abuse the AI and make one squishie play the lure, running around in circles. I thought this "tactic" was a thing of the past, apparently not.

Plus companions dont autoattack. which i guess is the lesser evil compared to them making suicide charges, but still annoying when Aloth casts a spell and then does nothing for the remainder of the encounter if forgotten.

Or, you know, they disagree with you, and your 'truths' are actually not gospel. Shocking, I know. Let's take an example in this very thread, albeit from a different poster:

Enemy AI is impossible in a game with such bad combat mechanics as PoE. All the AI has to do is aim straight for the squishies and they are dead with no tanks in the game there is no way to prevent this to happen other than abuse the AI and make one squishie play the lure, running around in circles.

Given that one of the most common complaints about POE combat is that "tanks" are too prominent and it is too easy to "tank and spank", one can clearly see that roller12's working off a pretty wildly different experience. 

Of course, that doesn't make him wrong. But if he were to then call everybody else fanboys, it would be pretty silly.

• Like 1

There are no tanks in this game, a tank is a class with specific talents which are not present in PoE. (maybe knockdown) There are however characters with high armor who are difficult to kill and it only works because the AI attacks them, and the only reason it does attack them is because its stupid. So see you cant make the ai smarter, it would simply ignore them. original.gif (As do human players in player controlled matches in other games). Whoever says "Tank and spank" in this game likely refers to extreme class polarization, as there is no damn reason to put armor on dps, due to resulting dps penalty. (another bad design choice).

Edited by roller12

Sorry. I don't speak MMO so I actually may be using it all wrong. I thought it was a broader designation.

Now that I do know, my response would be that almost every class has clear ways to make themselves more durable - though of course not to the extent of the tank. I'd welcome enemy AI that tries to bypass Fighters and hit the 'squishies' more - even if nothing else in the game changed, it would be an improvement. You'd be able to use disengagement against enemies, you'd have a reason to take abilities like Grimoire Slam or Rogue Escape abilities, and Hard difficulty would actually have a semblance of a challenge. 

• Like 4

Tigranes

It would simply lead to the squishiest squishy having to tank/lure, like Aloth does in every shadow encounter. I feel like it is more of a failure of the engagement system it simply doesnt do.. anything significant? I dont think enemies even care, 'cause not even my squishies do. Tanks in MMOs are all about control(by far the most difficult character to play) and here without control not sure how anything can be done to AI because the player has very limited ways to react(other than to kill them all first, (or run))