Kana reference "Far From Home"

At the beginning of the "Far From Home" quest, the quest-giver explains his plight. If Kana is in your party he interjects with something to the effect of "...to retrieve a medallion to earn the favor of the gods so that you can return home. That reminds me of ... a story I heard somewhere." (paraphrased from memory)

This seems to be intended as a fourth-wall breaking moment, relying on the player to get the reference.  Unfortunately, I don't get the reference.  Is this the plot of a story from Greco-Roman mythology that I can't remember? Maybe something from Tolkien? I'm struggling to think of many contexts where a character is attempting to "earn the favor of the gods."

Can someone here explain it to me?

At the beginning of the "Far From Home" quest, the quest-giver explains his plight. If Kana is in your party he interjects with something to the effect of "...to retrieve a medallion to earn the favor of the gods so that you can return home. That reminds me of ... a story I heard somewhere." (paraphrased from memory)

This seems to be intended as a fourth-wall breaking moment, relying on the player to get the reference.  Unfortunately, I don't get the reference.  Is this the plot of a story from Greco-Roman mythology that I can't remember? Maybe something from Tolkien? I'm struggling to think of many contexts where a character is attempting to "earn the favor of the gods."

Can someone here explain it to me?

He isn't talking about his own personal quest?