So I've been playing a dps fighter with the Sanguine armor for a good while now (on hard). I don't think I've seen Frenzy trigger yet. Is it 100% certain that it will trigger when I get hit by a crit? (that is the trigger for Spell Holding, right?), or is it a lower % chance?

I really wish Frenzy would trigger when I scored a crit. That would make it vastly more usefull. Now I will switch to a lower -% attack speed item since it never seems to trigger anyway. Useless awesome looking armor...  :banghead:

Maybe you just never get crit / dont tank enough with your fighter to get crit often ?

I play solo with rogue, sanguine plate + Shod in Faith boots and this combo triggers every single fight.

I assume in a party of 6 you probably are too strong to get crit that often .

Edited by Exoduss

Where do you get this Sanguine Plate and what is it (well, obviously it's plates armor from its name)?  I don't recall seeing it in my first two run-throughs, though I could be wrong.

Edited by Crucis

Where do you get this Sanguine Plate and what is it? I don't recall seeing it in my first two run-throughs, though I could be wrong.

You get the quest for it after you pick up Pellegina, talk to the ambassador and he will give you the quest The Forgotten or somesuch.

I have a question.

Let's say I put the new Sanguine Plate on a Barbarian who has high INT and took Greater Frenzy. If it procs, does Sanguine Plate's Frenzy have its duration affected by INT? Does the Barbarian's Greater Frenzy applies to it as well?

Can someone test this one? Thanks :)

Two run throughs and I still haven't done all the quests.  Nice.  :biggrin:

...and you missed out on the best-looking plate in the game to boot! ;)

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Two run throughs and I still haven't done all the quests.  Nice.  :biggrin:

...and you missed out on the best-looking plate in the game to boot! ;)

Really?

I thought that that green plate looked pretty good.  Don't remember the name of it, nor where I got it.  (I want to say that I probably got it either in the lower levels of the Endless Paths or somewhere around Twin Elms.  I just don't remember.)  Come to think of it, there's a really good looking suit of green tinted chain mail that's quite nice as well.

Yeh, the adra plate looks good. The Autumn Something Something chainmail is also good (it's golden/reddish). But Sanguine Plate, imho, bests them all :)

Edited by AndreaColombo

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

OK, I just loaded up an old Save game from fairly late for my last party, and did the mission that gets you the Sanguine Plate.  I'm not so sure that I think that it's the best looking armor in the game, though I suspect that that Frenzy ability can be quite useful.  The Sanguine Plate visually reminds me of the Bathed in Blood plate from IWD1.

I actually can think of a number of other armors that I personally think are better looking.

1. Argwes Ardra plate.  It's a green Fine plate armor with a Second Chance enchantment and +2 Lore.  And very nice looking.

2. Elardh Dwr (or Steel Swan) Exceptional breastplate.  Pure white breast plate armor.

3. Lost Meadow Mail:  Green and silver, exceptional chain mail armor with +1 regeneration.  Very, very nice looking.

4. Vengiatta Rugia:  Superb red and yellow padded armor, with retaliation and extra flanking damage effects.  Very nice looking armor for the stylish rogue in your party.  Looks even better when you wear the Dandy Hat of the Diseased Yak, which is a very stylish, wide brimmed hat that gives +2 Resolve, but -1 INT.   Very stylish indeed.  :thumbsup:

Edited by Crucis
  • Like 2

I like all of those, but on my female human or elven fighter nothing looks rad like Sanguine Plate. A matter of personal taste, I suppose :)

The Autumn Somthing Something chainmail I mentioned in my other post looks great on Edér, in my opinion. You get it from killing the dragon slayer near the Galawain's altar in one of the wilderness areas north of Defiance Bay (the one the adra dragon wants you to betray.) She also wields the best pollaxe in the game.

I like all of those, but on my female human or elven fighter nothing looks rad like Sanguine Plate. A matter of personal taste, I suppose :)

The Autumn Somthing Something chainmail I mentioned in my other post looks great on Edér, in my opinion. You get it from killing the dragon slayer near the Galawain's altar in one of the wilderness areas north of Defiance Bay (the one the adra dragon wants you to betray.) She also wields the best pollaxe in the game.

Ahhh.   In my first two parties, I wussed out and didn't kill the Ardra dragon and betrayed the dragon slayer (named Falenroed, or something like that), so haven't had access to her items.  Maybe in my next party, I'll take the time to kill the dragon.

This thread inspired me to go through my stash on one of my endgame saves and take a good look at what some armors look like. In addition to those named, I like the looks of The Coat of Ill Repute, Aru-Brekr, and He Carries Many Scars. Hand and Key and the Sun-Touched Mail have interesting designs too (though it's a shame about the lackluster enchantments on the mail). Aloth's Leather Armor doesn't look half bad if you pair it with the right colors. I might try throwing it on a Barbarian to see if it gives me a bigger Carnage AoE.

Random question: Has anyone picked up Rebel's Call (sold by Azzuro) since 1.05 hit to know what the new Wary quality does?

I wish that the devs would shift the recovery times for all armors below plate down by 5% each.  It sort of bothers me that Brigantine armor has the same recovery time as Plate, so there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of reason to wear it.  Also it kinda bugs me to see Leather classified as "medium" armor.  Leather seems like it should be the toughest of the "light" armors to me.

Hey, I just noticed that in patch 1.05, the devs fixed some of the item avatars (? or whatever you call them in the inventory).  The Dandy Hat of the Diseased Yak used to use the acorn helmet avatar, but now it's a proper avatar that looks like the duelist's hat.  Also, that "hat" that was actually a monocle now shows up AS a monocle in its inventory avatar.  And I assume that there are other examples of this that I haven't noticed yet.  Excellent stuff.

I know that some people are miffed that Sanguine Plate doesn't have retaliation anymore, but I like it with frenzy.  Really good for Monks and Barbarians.  Put them in Shod in Faith or whatever it is called and you will proc Frenzy and Consecrated ground at the same time.  At the moment I have my Aumaua Might 21 (23), Dex 16 (18) Barb using it wielding an Estoc and I regret that I called him Kull the Conqueror, I should have named him Wrecking Ball.   When the Frenzy cools down I can use Frenzy again.  Great on Potd where my lvl 6 Deflection 38 Barb gets critted all the time.

What's your Deflection and defences? It's entirely possible you're simply not getting critted. My Pallegina is an off-tank using a greatsword and she only gets critted once in a blue moon, triggering her boots to cast Consecration. I imagine that a better-built Fighter could have an even bigger problem getting critted.

t50aJUd.jpg

What's your Deflection and defences? It's entirely possible you're simply not getting critted. My Pallegina is an off-tank using a greatsword and she only gets critted once in a blue moon, triggering her boots to cast Consecration. I imagine that a better-built Fighter could have an even bigger problem getting critted.

It seems like this armor really isn't meant for high DEFL warriors, if you intend to get the most out of the Frenzy ability.  A character like a barbarian might be better suited to using it, since IIRC don't most barbs have lower DEFLs?  OTOH, you end up putting such a character in slow recovery plate armor, which seems contraindicated for low DEFL, high offense characters. And if Pallegina using a greatsword (i.e. no shield to boost DEFL) only gets critted rarely, it can only be worse for a real tanky fighter.

It seems to me like this armor wasn't well thought out, synergistically speaking.  It seems like an ability that'd be better suited to being on something like Hide armor. 

Edited by Crucis
  • Like 1

That's why Sanguine Plate and other items that trigger on crit are best used on characters with low deflection. Sanguine Plate would be wasted on my Paladin as he has deflection around 100.

That's why Sanguine Plate and other items that trigger on crit are best used on characters with low deflection. Sanguine Plate would be wasted on my Paladin as he has deflection around 100.

Absolutely, but if you have low Deflection, you're (hopefully) not going to be dumb enough to wear Plate to begin with - why would you? It's not going to save you when you're getting critted repeatedly. Crit-for-Effect items are incredibly counter-intuitive, because those that could easily get critted shouldn't be in situations where they are getting critted to begin with, and this goes double for heavy armours.

t50aJUd.jpg

Absolutely, but if you have low Deflection, you're (hopefully) not going to be dumb enough to wear Plate to begin with - why would you? It's not going to save you when you're getting critted repeatedly. Crit-for-Effect items are incredibly counter-intuitive, because those that could easily get critted shouldn't be in situations where they are getting critted to begin with, and this goes double for heavy armours.

I beg to differ. This Potd run is proving to be the easiest one yet. Barbarian in Sanguine Plate and Shod in Faith. When he gets critted he proccs frenzy and healing at the same time. Pair him up with a Paladin with zealous endurance and a moon godlike monk and my meele fighters are kicking butt.

Probably the playthrough where I've had minimal resting