3D models upscaled at level up

AndreaColombo

Question

Despite being real-time rendered 3D objects, character models are upscaled in the level-up screen if playing at resolutions higher than 1920x1080.

SAVED GAME: link

REPRO STEPS:

Load the attached saved game on a machine whose monitor runs natively at 2560x1440 or higher.

Observe that all characters have enough experience to level up.

Pick one of the characters and level them up.

Observe that when the level-up screen is brought up, the 3D model of the character is blurry as though it was being upscaled.

Being real-time rendered 3D objects, characters models should always be rendered at the resolution the game is set to, and never upscaled.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Hi,

polygon count doesn't really come into it :)

Textures are blurry as though the model was a raster-based asset being upscaled (an example of that is the game's UI, whose assets are rasterized and only exist up to 1920x1200; beyond that resolution, assets are upscaled and become increasingly blurry the farther away you get from 1920x1200); however, 3D character models are vectorial and can, by their very nature, be rendered "natively" at any resolution with no limits (quote from the Wikipedia link, "Vector graphics can be magnified infinitely without loss of quality, while pixel-based graphics cannot.")

Playing at 2560x1440, character models in-game are visibly sharper than character models at level up.

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Here is a comparison picture:

AU5iza4.png

As you can see, the 1080p version is much sharper than its blurry 1440p counterpart.

However, being a real-time 3D object, the character model should actually gain in sharpness and overall quality the higher the resolution.

Hi there, I've gone ahead and reported this issue you're experiencing to see if there is anything that can be done. However, I am running at 3840x2160 and do not see the blurriness you are talking about at either 4k or 1440p, so this issue could be isolated or nested in another problem.

Thanks for your feedback.

• Like 1

- Refer to this thread if you are having trouble finding any information I requested http://forums.obsidi...eport-an-issue/

Thank you, Derek.

Here's my dxdiag in case it helped.

Easiest way to reproduce is to start a new game. At the character creation screen, the model is upscaled.

running 2560x1440.

Also, this was fixed back in the beta (http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/68289-v278-ui-issues-when-running-resolutions-above-1080p/), but at some point it seems to  have been broken again.

Edited by kujeger
  • Like 1

Really need this fixed to stop playing 1080p windowed on my 1440p screen :(

This is something that was improved around the launch of the game. We have not received any reports of this being an issue besides one or two people. If I test the game on two different computer/OS's on high resolutions I see a noticeably crisp character model.

Do you two mind posting system specs (DxDiags or similar files for other OSs)? This may be something related to graphics card capabilities. If your card is not capable of creating textures higher than 2048x2048 then this may be why you see the issue.

• Like 1

Twitter: @robyatadero

Hi Roby,

here is my DxDiag: link

My graphics card is a GTX 970, so it should definitely be able to handle high-res textures. Once 2.0 hits, I will try again to play at 2560x1440 to see if the problem persists.

I'm running on linux. GFX is a GeForce GTX 780.

I'll try dual booting into windows, and see if the same happens there.

It does seem strange that texture resolution issues would cause the 3d model to be rendered at a low resolution and then upscaled -- and only in the levelup/new character view, though?

Same problem under windows.

Just for reference, how it looked when it was fixed in the beta (and in the released version, but I don't have screenshots from that, and I can't find a way of downloading the old versios..): Big PNG

And how it looks right now: Big PNG

(the new text is really, really nice!)

edit: have to say I liked the lighting in the old picture better as well

edit2: Also, all hardware is the exact same between the screenshots. Only difference is software, in updated drivers and OS patches.

Edited by kujeger
  • Like 1

I just tested the 1.04 version on my backer DVD. It also works fine.

So this was broken in a post-1.04 patch.

Is there a place I can grab the 1.05 patch? The DVD patch page only offers the 1.06 patch, which we already know has the problem. It would be nice to know if 1.05 or 1.06 is the guilty part.

I'm on GoG, so no betas for me.

kujeger, are you on 2.0 beta?

Roby, could you post a screenshot of what you see at CC or level-up at 2560x1440 to compare with what kujeger posted?

Edited by AndreaColombo
  • Like 1

A bit more testing with resolutions and stuff on my desktop, under Linux (presumably the same applies to Windows as well, at least from the other things I've tested there)..

As of version 1.05 and higher, the following seems to be the case:

Vertical resolution less than or equal to 1200 = correctly rendered.

Vertical resolution equal or greater than 1600 = correctly rendered.

Anything in between = incorrectly rendered (upscaled).

• Like 1

Hope Roby sees this...

Thanks, Roby! :)

2560x1440 is probably the most common resolution that fits the subset.

Roby, any chance you could look at this for 2.03?