I managed to find three pairs in endless path:

lv 12 lower right, on 13th of any month

lv 13 hidden room, on 14th of any month

lv 14 hidden stash, on 16th of any month

Is there any other?

Edit: I found a fourth pair in Lle a Rhemen lower level secret room, on 20th day of a month.

A fifth pair in Blood Sands secret room on 11th day of a month.

A six pair in Elmshore cave on 13th day of a month.

Edited by adaxe

Random loot. Found a few pairs on various corpses leading up the the finale once.

In other words: potentially lots. Or none.

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

Random loot. Found a few pairs on various corpses leading up the the finale once.

The "random loot" in PoE is not that random. For example, open the hidden stash on endless path lv 12 on 13th of any month, you will always get a pair of boots of speed.

The "random loot" in PoE is not that random. For example, open the hidden stash on endless path lv 12 on 13th of any month, you will always get a pair of boots of speed.

Just not true.

• Like 1

Just not true.

Tested in game. And confirmed by multiple persons. 

You know, it occurs to me that if a thing is in the same place every time, then it probably can't be referred to as "random"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

Doesnt make sense to have unique items as random loot **** this design .

Were boots of speed recategorized as unique in 1.05? I haven't found any this playthrough so I don't know

I wouldn't consider them really unique. Malina's boots have +speed (less). There are also bracers with +speed (also less than BoS). The game just loves to throw those useless bracers at me while never giving me something actually useful.

You consider boots that make the poor sod wearing them run into any encounter before the party can catch up, as unique? They're a nuisance at the best of times, since they break up what's left of your formation, even while in stealth.

Yeah, fair point, since there's also the Dissapointer. A rather unique item on the same lines.

Edited by abaris

Well , do you see any more boots with +speed in game , if no they are unique ( even if you can get like 3 if you run good RNG )

if you can get more than one of them, then they are (by definition) not unique.
  • Like 2

lol just got boots of speed on solo rogue run in Dyrford Temple , first time since release in like 5 different playtroughs great now gona vendor them because shod on faith shall never be unequiped , lol ****ed up design as i said , also getting +2mechanics gloves is close to impossible now this is just extra annoying when on release version they always been in chest in raedrics bedroom

Edited by Exoduss

The game loves to repeat it's trash items. At one point I was flooded with boots of speed, another time it was some belts featuring some smallish slash reduction.

This is my experience also. It seems possible to get into "waves" where you progress in the game and keep finding the same trash over and over and over again. It's actually pretty frustrating.

You consider boots that make the poor sod wearing them run into any encounter before the party can catch up, as unique? They're a nuisance at the best of times, since they break up what's left of your formation, even while in stealth.

Yeah, fair point, since there's also the Dissapointer. A rather unique item on the same lines.

Honestly though, having it on your tank is a godsend. After running out of important Talents to grab for Edér, I took Fast Runner and gave him Boots of Speed. It's wonderful when it comes to sneaking into groups of enemies to pull aggro.

The only annoying thing is that he tends to move faster than Durance and tend to trigger traps that we haven't seen yet, but it's not that common.

Having +Speed on Aloth was.. a worse idea.

Edited by Luckmann

t50aJUd.jpg

Honestly though, having it on your tank is a godsend. After running out of important Talents to grab for Edér, I took Fast Runner and gave him Boots of Speed. It's wonderful when it comes to sneaking into groups of enemies to pull aggro.

The only annoying thing is that he tends to move faster than Durance and tend to trigger traps that we haven't seen yet, but it's not that common.

Well, there's that certain armor you can loot when doing the first crucible mission. I never can quite remember the name, since it's something nordic, but it looks like a pimp outfit, complete with red and gold variations. It gives Eder the speed needed for the instances you mentioned.

Boots of speed, no way. If I happen to pick them up again, they go right into the resell chain.

Well, there's that certain armor you can loot when doing the first crucible mission. I never can quite remember the name, since it's something nordic, but it looks like a pimp outfit, complete with red and gold variations. It gives Eder the speed needed for the instances you mentioned.

Boots of speed, no way. If I happen to pick them up again, they go right into the resell chain.

You're probably thinking of Äru-Brekr, a red Brigandine armour from the Built To Last quest, but.. it doesn't actually give any speed mod.

t50aJUd.jpg

It never happened to me that Boots of Speed break my formation. Everyone in my team stay at the same speed outside combat(maybe due to ie mod).

Actually I consider Boots of Speed to be one of the best random loots.

It never happened to me that Boots of Speed break my formation. Everyone in my team stay at the same speed outside combat(maybe due to ie mod).

if they get stuck behind someone slow they stay in formation, if not they zoom, and I mean zoom, ahead.  The pathing in POE is pretty terrible so it can happen a lot.

As far as "random" is concerned there is no such thing in computers.  There are algorithm for computing pseudo-randomness and many of those require a "seed" which will cause certain computations to reliably return the same numbers even of the spread of possible numbers is "ranom-ish".

It appears that Obsidian chose to seed their loot generation algorithm (which may not even be pseudo-random) with the day of the month.  This was probably a conscious design decision and all things considered not a terrible way to go.   This gives variance without creating the slot machine by save scumming behavior that is extremely prevalent in the "new loot each tiem you open" phenomenon.  This game is not an ARPG with huge lists of prefixes and suffixes that you can infinitely grind until yoy get what you want.  Certain items are very important to get and can make or break your capability (+2 mechanics gloves are huge and can affect 10-20 things in Od Nua alone).  Being able to have reliable, even if rather hidden, way of obtaining such things is actually good IMO.  Although really the mechanics gloves should just be able to be gotten is a less fiddly manner.

However I would also say that a game that winds up with a large number of people save scumming for loot is probably designed with some flaws anyway.  Generally people save scum to achieve some build goal.  RPGs are generally very deep when it comes to how characters can be made.  Its a fundamental of the genre.  Undermining this by putting in mechanics to randomly give you interesting items is IMO a design flaw.  Rather what should happen is things that have interesting/unique/best in class properties should be placed behind interesting challenges and be non-random.

Yes random loot gives variance in player power and therefore variance in gameplay.  So its a way to make a playthrough feel more unqiue and less predictable.  However a game like PoE has static content and the more intesting thing to do is to playthrough the game with different builds that use different tactics or story mechanics/choices.  Not make each build randomly be  mediocre or close to optimal.  In a static game like POE you should essentially be able to make a close to optimal build and the main challenge should be knowing how to get the stuff you would need and knowing enough about the game and how it works to come up with a build that will work tactically for what you want to do.

Randomness on a number of minor things is fine and may add some spice (although personally I don't really think it does).  But if you are building a tank and miss out on say 10-15 extra in defenses due to missing out on an item or two then you have actually lost a lot of effectiveness due to the expenential growth of defenses as you get towards the high end.  

That last extra bit of 15 deflection is ideally a matter of tradeoffs and not randomness.  Similarly this true for boots of speed, they are a very large speed increase and therefore a very large impact on a kiting tactic.  Personally I have not run any build that use serious kiting tactics but kiting can be an incredibly strong tactic and these are obviously a key factor.  Suppose I want to run a party with 3 rangers who kite using boots of speed (I doubt this is an amazing strong party but the Benny Hill nature of it would be pretty funny you gotta admit and it might even work well).  Fortunately since this game uses seeded loot this is actually possible even if it is unecessary wonky.  But if things were actually random, this build idea would actually require stupid amounts of save scumming. 

I managed to find three pairs in endless path:

lv 12 lower right, on 13th of any month

lv 13 hidden room, on 14th of any month

lv 14 hidden stash, on 16th of any month

Is there any other?

Edit: I found a fourth pair in Lle a Rhemen lower level secret room, on 20th day of a month.

A fifth pair in Blood Sands secret room on 11th day of a month.

A six pair in Elmshore cave on 13th day of a month.

I found one on Burial Isle. Right of the last staircase up to the pit, on the corpse next to the broken/obstructed passageway. 

6ej155.jpg

I found one on Burial Isle. Right of the last staircase up to the pit, on the corpse next to the broken/obstructed passageway. 

And the next time round there will be another redundant item.

It's totally random and that's fine with me. The only suggestion I would have is that item value mirror the difficulty getting it. So hard to find hidden spots should hold more valuable random items than everyday looting places. Hard to defeat enemies should drop items according to their difficulty.

Random loot is fine because as has been mentioned, they add to replayability.

if they get stuck behind someone slow they stay in formation, if not they zoom, and I mean zoom, ahead.  The pathing in POE is pretty terrible so it can happen a lot.

According to my observation, the members with boots of speed just walk rather than run, thus keep exactly the same speed as their slower teammates.