So yes, I know you have to upgrade the Main Keep for Azzuro to crop up, but what specifically makes him appear? Does Prestige/Security have any affect? Does he only arrive on a new Stronghold "turn" (which I'm lead to believe pass when quest states change enough) or can he appear if you rest enough?

I'm playing a solo PotD Rogue and want Hiro's Mantle even with the Retaliation nerf as the DR is nice and Deep Wounds should make Retaliation quite a bit nicer. However there seem to be very few details on what needs to be done to get him to appear and sell stuff.

According the strategy guide, he unlocks when the merchant stalls are built (Main Keep). For what it's worth, I'm about to hit the 400 hour mark, and I've seen him 3 times (twice in 1 game, once in another, not at all for the rest). Don't plan builds around any of his gear because odds are you'll never see it.

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

Well that sucks - so it's really a case of Vengiatta Rugia (which is by no means an early game item), Sura's Supper Plate (which seems crap) and getting lucking on Hiro's Mantle for a chance at getting a Retaliation item? I guess I'll build the Merchant Stalls early and hope for the best, making sure not to fast travel too great a distance in one (I've missed out on some items that way on previous characters).

I don't think Merchant Stalls are actually necessary for Azzuro to appear. I haven't successfully managed to get Azzuro to appear in my keep yet, but in my current playthrough he tried to visit but was repulsed by bandits even though I haven't built the stalls yet. As long as you have the Main Keep, along with sufficiently high Prestige to draw him and sufficiently high Security to keep him from being attacked on the way, I think his arrival is a possibility.

It kind of sucks that he appears so sporadically, especially when you consider that not all items he sells may be palatable for your current play through.

He appeared three times in my first play through and I was fairly disappointed at not being able to acquire all his items.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

What's particularly annoying is that his stay is too short.  I've missed him on a few occasions when I'm making a relatively long trip from place to place and he's arrived and left before I had a chance to buy what he was selling.

• Like 1

From p39:

"Rare Items

When the Merchant Stalls upgrade has been made, it's possible to buy goods at the stonghold. Some are more valuable than others and there are even some unique items to buy. Here are all the unique items (see the Armor section of this guide for details) sold by Azzuro, the Rare Items Merchant:"

*pic of rare items*

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

Also, if you do manage to have him show up over the course of overland travel, you can reload before you traveled to get the exact item you want. Then again, if you're willing to do that, you might as well console yourself the item.

I guess that I wish that Azzuro would just set up shop in the Stronghold, or sell his items to the local Stronghold weapons merchant as they become available.  Frankly, I'm not overly fond of random drops of unique items.  Random drops of generic items, no big deal.  But random drops of unique items, particularly good ones, is annoying.

• Like 1

Like I said, I haven't successfully managed to get Azzuro to the Stronghold so I can buy something from him yet, so I could be wrong. But I'm inclined to take anything the strategy guide says with a grain of salt.

As am I, since stats, etc change frequently while they balance the game. However 1) this wouldn't be a balance change and 2) there a difference between "grain of salt" and "ignoring a blatant statement without solid disconfirming evidence".

Just realised that I can use Coat of Ill Payment instead for retaliation, but I'd wager to say (judging from earlier bounties I have done) it's a pain to get. Argwes Adra + Hiro's Mantle would really be the superior option, particularly now 1.05 allows for Second Chance when you're the only person in your party left standing (i.e. all of solo play).

Just realised that I can use Coat of Ill Payment instead for retaliation, but I'd wager to say (judging from earlier bounties I have done) it's a pain to get. Argwes Adra + Hiro's Mantle would really be the superior option, particularly now 1.05 allows for Second Chance when you're the only person in your party left standing (i.e. all of solo play).

You'll have to admit that it would look more than a little sub par, however—a green armor with a red cloak, ugh :p

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Like I said, I haven't successfully managed to get Azzuro to the Stronghold so I can buy something from him yet, so I could be wrong. But I'm inclined to take anything the strategy guide says with a grain of salt.

As am I, since stats, etc change frequently while they balance the game. However 1) this wouldn't be a balance change and 2) there a difference between "grain of salt" and "ignoring a blatant statement without solid disconfirming evidence".

Here, since my report about Azzuro trying to visit without a Merchant Stalls wasn't "solid" enough for you, I used IE Mod's AdvanceTimeByHours command to generate this:

SfwRfxq.jpg

• Like 2

Yes, people are much more inclined to believe you when you support the things you say with evidence. Sorry that I had to be the one to break that to you.

Yes, people are much more inclined to believe you when you support the things you say with evidence. Sorry that I had to be the one to break that to you.

Well, we don't all have the luxury of being able to appeal to the authority of the strategy guide.

Also @Jojobobo, since I don't think anyone has specifically answered this part of your question: Stronghold guests, including Azzuro, work on game time rather than turns, so theoretically you could get him to spawn by traveling around or resting a bunch. Since he only offers one item at a time and it's random, though, I wouldn't recommend trying that if you're looking for a specific item.

• Like 1

Well, we don't all have the luxury of being able to appeal to the authority of the strategy guide.

Also @Jojobobo, since I don't think anyone has specifically answered this part of your question: Stronghold guests, including Azzuro, work on game time rather than turns, so theoretically you could get him to spawn by traveling around or resting a bunch. Since he only offers one item at a time and it's random, though, I wouldn't recommend trying that if you're looking for a specific item.

Thanks, that was exactly what I was looking for (wasn't sure if it was done on the turns basis like other things are). I might give chain resting a go if I'm feeling masochistic enough.

You don't need the stalls and you don't need 400 hours playtime, lol.

He seems to start appearing from . 30 prestige up. I got Hiros on my solo pala run as about the fifth item Azurro sold, my prestige was 56 by then. I also bought every item he offered to make sure he doesn't offer another one twice.

• Like 1

I don't think that was ever the intention. Azzuro always offers you a unique item pulled at random from a pool of uniques that may only be purchased from him.

• 1 month later...