D&D 5 dropped the flawed 4th edition approach. It's much closer to D&D 3/3.5

So if you hated 4Ed, give 5th a chance.

Also some people seem to mistake game mechanics with settings.

For example Dark Sun and Ravenloft - both of which use the same DnD rules as Forgotten Realms - can't be further from other in terms of lore.

So I see no real problem in translating PoE setting onto D&D system. 

Actually, In my opinion, it's a sign of a good (read thought-out and detailed) setting that it can be used with any rule mechanics.

I didn't hate 3.5 mechanics but neither was I fond of it.  I like how PoE has done things and they are continuing to improve.  Plus why should they spend money for a license  for D&D.

Think of it this way.  :grin:  OE is the Dungeon Master, the DM has the right to modify the rules., create the world and the events in the world.

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg

I wonder, now that PoE has been a success and we are starting to learn the world a bit more, could it be adapted to be a D&D game system?  I love the game and it does feel like Baldur's Gate 2015 at it's core.  What is missing for me is the Forgotten Realms lore and systems.  

The reason I continue to go back and play IWD and BG is largely due to the D&D lore, combat,  and character systems.  

What do you guys think?

It... wouldn't be PoE. It would be a D&D Forgotten Realms game. Besides, I think the licensing alone would cost Obs a fortune, and they'd have a third party breathing down their necks approving/rejecting much of what they do, so wouldn't be worth it in the least.

Yeah, the entire point of PoE is so Obsidians owns an IP.

It's interesting, the first time I read a 4E sourcebook I said to myself "These look like game rules practically written with a computer/video game in mind!" 

Which is why I find it odd no game has ever been based on those rules - except, AFAIK, the Neverwinter MMO. (Dungeons & Dragons Online I think is still on 3.5E.)

Sword Coast Legends will be using 5E. 

Of course, D & D licensing from Atari/WotC was a clusterf*k for a long while, and I think that had something to do with it. 

Which is why I find it odd no game has ever been based on those rules - except, AFAIK, the Neverwinter MMO. (Dungeons & Dragons Online I think is still on 3.5E.)

Sure Neverwinter's set in Faerûn, generally follows D&D's (Forgotten Realms) lore and implements the usual races and classes but the actual ruleset is more of a loose adaptation. Very loose. They kept some names and descriptions and had an action point system and... I think that was about it. Not sure how it is now I played it while it was in Beta and then never really looked back. The gameplay is also very DA2-ish just without any of the flash and style, animations were terrible and made the game feel somewhat unresponsive.

The game is okayish to decent and it's free assuming you don't let it trick you into using the in-game market so if you're ever bored and have nothing else to do it might be worth checking out. I'm sure it has much more user created content now than it had back then and there's bound to be a decent module or two to find. The most awesome one I checked out was simply a chain of 50 rooms where each contained a single ogre, purely designed for maximum XP gain to grind away. It rocked the most played lists for a while.

Yeah. I'm not kidding. :)

Edited by majestic

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

I hope I didn't confuse what I wanted of PoE in my OP.  I agree that PoE is a solid game on its own, but the question I ask is will I come back and replay the original in a few years?  I don't think so.  The big draw each time I return to the IE games is the D&D license for me.  I suppose I could be alone in that sentiment.  PoE's class system feels flat to me, perhaps I just have to spend more time with it.

I agree totally,

D&D 3.5 was the best, and made for the best PC games of the time too (NWN/NWN2)

Give Pathfinder a go then.

Its mostly optimized, debugged 3.5 with FAR fewer exploits.

@ OP: Then I`d suggest going Legends of the Sword Coast.

I don't see how the lore/backstory/setting of Forgotten Realms is better than PoE, in fact I think its worse.  Sure FR has a lot of breadth going for it but it also has a lot of pulp shlock in it too.

Now if you wanted some 5th ed. mechanics maybe I could see that; I think PoEs mechanics are mostly OK but they clearly have to some real flaws.  The attributes really need another iteration.  Some of the idea about defensive/affliction counters need another iteration.