Xaurip may be one of the races in POE2?

I came in here expecting some information.

I'm sorry, it's just a question.

I wasn't angry, I just expected you to have some information on the subject you posted about. As for it being a question, it was a statement. What did you mean to ask?

I think it would be interesting to have any one of the new races (because let's be honest here, there most likely will be in a sequel along with new classes) be a pre-existing race. I mean, it both would build hype (how many people lost their **** when BW announced Qunari in DA3?) as well as cut back on the time/resources involved in making an entirely new race.

Edited by Bryy

I would like to see an Xaurip encounter area based on the first Hobbit movie's goblin lair scenes.

The PCs are in large cavern of rope bridges and winding passages where they are pursued by a large army of Xaurips (and wandering Xaurips). In this cavern system they cannot rest. The use of potions, food and stealth is key to their survival. Athletics skill will open up opportunities for "individual" PC characters to climb to upper or lower paths, swing on ropes across chasms and start a large boulder rolling or collapse a bridge.

Think of it as a single level encounter area, that is four times the size of an average dungeon level. Winding paths lead to upper and lower levels on the same map, in a maze of passages.

Edited by EdwinP

Evolution can change them. The story in the sequel can happen hundreds of years later.

...ignoring the fact that evolution takes place over much longer timespans.

That aside, I really hope we don't see this. I personally really dislike it when monster races suddenly turn up as playable characters. Yes, it's just my opinion, nut my vote would be an emphatic 'NO' on this one.

• Like 4

Evolution can change them. The story in the sequel can happen hundreds of years later.

I personally really dislike it when monster races suddenly turn up as playable characters.

They are not just monsters, they can produce weapons, clothes and building houses.

There will be a Xaurip companion in POE2 that is a homage to Deekin is a homage to Jar Jar Binks.

It will speak like a Saturday Cartoon moron for most of the game, but it will then demonstrate that it can pronounce all the crazy Glanfathan words. It will then call your PC an inelegant buffoon.

• Like 2

Confirmed: xaurip companion in PoE2 will be Tana from Anslog's Compass. 

Browsing globals.2da, it seems that Tana will join your party as a Level 3 Sorcerer if you collected the spores for Ranga, a Level 4 Executioner if you opted not to wipe out the other xaurips when asked, or a Level 6 Prostitute if Ranga allowed you to sleep in her camp after completing the other two side quests.

Edited by Achilles

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

Xaurips are savage and while not mute as someone said in the thread, are incapable of civilized lingo. And no, "evolution" won't change that, certainly not in any timespan we can expect to see between PoE and any other games in the series. And certainly not on a global scale.

You're more likely to see Vithracks, and that's not likely at all. Like. At all.

t50aJUd.jpg

Am I the only one who doesn't want a new race for the first TotSC-style addon?

I'd rather have NPC reactions to godlike PCs fleshed out properly...

I completely agree. I've said it before, and I'm saying it again; revisit, revise and expand upon existing content.

t50aJUd.jpg

Considering the fact that I wanted to play a kobold before I even knew about Deekin (who isn't how I would play him but I still like him), I would love to be able to play a Xaurip!  Not sure if it should be in an expansion, but in a potential sequel down the line maybe...

• Like 1

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

Ogres would make more sense, they are tolerated in Twin Elms. They would be hard to balance, though.

Xaurips are routinely slaughtered by adventurers en-massage. If you suddenly start treating them as fully worthy races (for the lack of a better word), moral implications are huge. There is one xaurip you can be friendly to in the first ruin, and in Raga's encampment.

Both xaurips and ogres belong to the 'wilder' group. I think this suggests they're barely civilized. Either way, peaceful contact with them is very hard. Ogres can easily attack and kill other races, and xaurips the opposite - they're too easily victimized.

But I would like ogres or xaurips as a faction you can be friendly to if you like.

On the subject of xaurips, the expansion should have a side quest where you create a robot dragon with animancy, and then trick a xaurip tribe into worshipping it, so that they end up following whatever commands you input. You know, for irony.

It could, but I don't think it will.

I don't think the devs would have put so much attention and lavish detail into how present-day Dyrwood works just to turn around and say, "Now, centuries later, here's a completely new state of the world with whole new countries, cultures, socio-ecnomic societies, interracial relationships, etc." Everyone has their own interpretation, but it seems to me that PoE mostly focuses on establishing the setting (with a serviceable story), and will use it as a springboard for creating more in-depth stories and challenging themes for future expansions and sequels. (At least, based on their track-record, that seems to be how the folks of Black Isles -> Obsidian tend to do things. From what I've heard, BG1 was a decent game, BG2 got a much richer story. Fallout 1 was solid, Fallout 2 was much more engaging story-wise. NWN2 was rather generic but fun, NWN: MotB had a much richer story and atmosphere.)

As others have said, I can see a Xaurip companion, or at least encounters with Xaurips that challenge established stereotypes or question how arbitrarily the "kith vs creature" lines are drawn, but I don't think the protagonist will be playing a Xaurip. As it is, we have six kith races (aumaua, human, elf, dwarf, orlan, godlike) with their own subraces and subcultures to explore (we've barely scratched the surface for most of them in PoE) without adding new playable races on top of that.

Edited by Faerunner
  • Like 1

"Not I, though. Not I," said the hanging dwarf.