Dual Wielding "Stiletto" Rogue

aka. "Sneak Attack" Rogue, "Crit Monster" Rogue, "Death by a Thousand Cuts" Rogue, "Glass Cannon"

Game Difficulty: HARD

Class: Rogue

Race: Meadow Folk (Additional Accuracy and Damage when below 50% Endurance) - Human (+1 Might, +1 Resolve) (Hearth Orlan is also a good choice for the additional "hit to crit")

Background: The Living Lands (+ 1 MIGHT) Drifter (+1 Stealth, +1 Survival) For RP Purposes for my character, I chose Drifter. Choose Laborer, Merchant, or Scientist if you want to start with Mechanics.

This Rogue is a Dual Stiletto-wielding Rogue. This build is all about the CRITS, FAST ATTACKS, and DR bypass. You are a Glass Cannon, the main single-target, damage dealer. You rely on Sneak Attack critical damage from your auto-attacks. It is important to keep up Sneak Attack conditions on your enemies for maximum damage, so you need a little help from Wizard's or Cipher's AoE debuffs. Micromanagement is needed if you want this build to be effective.

Why STILETTO? Why not Daggers?

Stilettos have +3 DR bypass. Daggers have +5 Accuracy. 

Accuracy is very easy to get using buffs from your NPC companions. Debuffing Deflection is also easy. So Dagger's +5 Accuracy is a little meh.

You can get Unique Stilettos very early in the game (Azurieth's Stiletto from Gilded Vale and Oidhreacht from Level 1 Endless Paths).

There are only 2 Unique Daggers in the game. You get 4 for Stiletto.

Stilettos also benefit from the talent Vulnerable Attack. (3 DR bypass + 5 DR bypass = 8 DR Bypass [11 for Bleak Fang])

Starting Attributes:

I've seen builds that are dump stat-ed to death. I didn't want that for my character. I still want to retain a little RP, if you know what I mean.

MIG - 20 - I wanted to max this stat for max damage.

CON - 8 - I would've dumped this like other people, but I don't want my character to be a complete wuss.

DEX - 18 - For fast attacks.

PER - 14 - For reasonable Interrupt, Deflection, and Reflex

INT - 10 - You really don't need this stat for the Rogue, but I don't want my character to be dumb either.

RES - 8 - I really don't need Concentration. 

For conversation stat checks (INT/RES), wear items and consume food with stats. Also use resting bonus.

Abilities 

Blinding Strike - Debuff for Sneak Attack (Full Attack)

Crippling Strike - Debuff for Sneak Attack (Full Attack)

Deathblows - x2 Damage on top of Sneak Attack damage.

Deep Wounds - Raw Damage over time.

Dirty Fighting - For Crits

Reckless Assault - For Melee Accuracy and Damage

Talents 

Two Weapon Style - +20% Melee Attack Speed (this balances out the negative from Vulnerable Attack)

Vulnerable Attack - +5 DR bypass, -20% Melee Attack Speed

Vicious Fighting - For Crits

Savage Attack - For Damage

Bloody Slaughter - For Crits

Weapon Focus: Ruffian - +6 Accuracy

Quest-acquired Talents

The Merciless Hand - +30% Crit multiplier

Gift from the Machine - +1 Might, x1.05 Max Endurance

Dungeon Delver - +10% Crit multiplier

Song of the Heavens - +1 Perception, +2 DR Shock

Blooded Hunter - +1 DR Slash/Pierce, +1 Stealth

Galawain's Boon - +1 Might, +1 Athletics

Gear (please refer to PoE Wiki for item locations)

Weapons

Early game Unique Stiletto

Azureith's Stiletto - Spell Striking: Jolting Touch: Grants Jolting Touch 

Oidhreacht - Draining: 20% of Damage restored as Endurance

End game Unique Stiletto

Bleak Fang - Upgraded to Superb Enchantment, Spell Striking: Touch of Rot, Rending 3 DR Bypass

Misery's End - Upgraded to Superb Enchantment, Burning Lash +25% Damage, Vicious +20% Damage against Prone/Stunned/Flanked, Slaying: Vessel

Ranged Weapon - for alpha strike

Forgiveness - early game

Dulcanale -  end game

Endgame Armor and Accessories 

Azaalin's Helmet - +10% Crit multiplier

Lilith's Shawl (Neck)- +3 Perception, +1 Stealth

Gauntlet's of Puissant Melee - +10% Melee Damage

Pensiavi mes Rei (Ring) - +3 Might

Ring of Thorns - +3 Dex, +5 Reflex, +20 Defense while Stunned/Prone

Vengiatta Rugia (Light Armor) - Retaliate, +10% Damage to Flanked, Enchanted +2 to Intellect (Just to increase range of Watcher abilities and debuff durations)

Boots of Speed +3 - Move fast, kill fast. Nuff said. Good for scouting too!

Belt - You can either use Blunting Belt (+5 Slash/Pierce DR), Belt of Eotun Constitution (+3 CON), or Broad Belt of Power (+2 Might, +2 Resolve). 

Endgame Attributes

Level: 12

Mig: 25 (26, if you choose to sacrifice Eder on the Blood Pool. lel)

Con: 8 (11, if I use the +3 CON Belt)

Dex: 21

Per: 18

Int: 12

Res: 8 (10, if I use Broad Belt of Power)

Endgame Skills

Stealth: 8 (2 points are from item and talent)

Athletics: 5

Lore: 0

Mechanics: 10 (12, if you have Gloves of Manipulation)

Survival: 5

End game character stats:

Health 632/632

Endurance 166/158

Damage

Primary: 22-31 Pierce

Secondary: 22-31 Pierce

Accuracy

Primary: 84 (90, if with Paladin's Zealous Focus)

Secondary: 84 (90, if with Paladin's Zealous Focus)

Interrupt 24

Concentration 69

Deflection 46, Fortitude 79, Reflex 96, Will 53

Damage Reduction 10

Slash 16, Crush 13, Pierce 19, Burn 8, Shock 12, Corrode 8 

My Character's End Game Personal Record (Click links for party NPC comparisons)

---

Please feel to comment or criticize. Thanks!

Edited by Veynn
  • Like 1

I'm partial to ruffian weapon group ..  Dual sabre and even club + sabre starting from act 3..

Blesca's Labor is superb (buy at start of act III) + coordinating, draining and obscene accuracy .. ( Me playing full melee parties exclusively I have to treasure accuracy more since there's less buffs and debuffs to go around) .. Gives dual damage type flexibility (for enemies hardened vs slash for example)

It combos pretty well with hard hitting sabre (Purgatory - extra damage on crit & drain) in off-hand.. Accurate Club will apply the debilitating condition on first hit (blind, hobble, weak, etc ..) and the sabre hits like a truck afterwards .. 

Edited by peddroelm

WPNTVf7.jpg

What's to criticize?  Looks like you had a fun run with this rogue!  :ninja:

Thanks! 

Every time I see a post asking for a melee rogue build, I'd just link to this.  Solid, OP.

I probably would have gone Hearth Orlan & Deadfire background but frankly that's just nitpicking.  This build certainly melts faces.

Thanks! Hearth Orlan was my first choice when creating this. Hit to Crit bonus is always good.

I'm partial to ruffian weapon group ..  Dual sabre and even club + sabre starting from act 3..

Blesca's Labor is superb (buy at start of act III) + coordinating, draining and obscene accuracy .. ( Me playing full melee parties exclusively I have to treasure accuracy more since there's less buffs and debuffs to go around) .. Gives dual damage type flexibility (for enemies hardened vs slash for example)

It combos pretty well with hard hitting sabre (Purgatory - extra damage on crit & drain) in off-hand.. Accurate Club will apply the debilitating condition on first hit (blind, hobble, weak, etc ..) and the sabre hits like a truck afterwards .. 

Purgatory+Resolution is a good combo. Dual Annihilation is a monster. I might create a new character with this build soon.

Nice post! (Just thought I'd get that in there before I start making suggestions ;) ) Very close to my potd build. Now the comments:

Bloody Slaughter activates when the enemy is below 10% health. TEN! That's as good as never IMO, and a waste of a talent. I would much rather have Shadowing Beyond, as it can save my day and ruin someone elses a lot more often than a little extra damage on the occasional crit when a mob happens to be a few frames away from dead. You know that extra crit damage you get with the talent? Yeah - that is only for crits that are activated due to this specific talent. Not all crits.

Ps. I know it says "Stilettos" in the topic, so I guess that's not open for debate, but dual scimitars deals a truckload of more damage. Oh... I also used a superbly enchanted, crush resistant, clothing item for end game instead of armor. Who needs armor when your enemies can't see you for all of their innards being out in the open?

PPs. I see a lot of people taking deep wounds, but I don't know why. Does it add damage to every attack? Because a little dot seems pointless when you kill something in less than 2 seconds. Does it scale with +dmg and +crit? I hit "some boss" (can't remember) with a crit for >180 dmg I think with Finishing Blow. THAT was fun. I would miss finishing blow.

Edited by Slapstick87

i never take deep wounds because of this topic.. it just seem so awful

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/78400-deep-wounds-tested-damage-over-time-ticks-timedmg-int-value-influence-and-how-toolip-is-wrong/?hl=%2Bdeep+%2Bwounds

and u dont need to rebuild your rogue for sabre since its the same weapon group. this same build works with sabres

also u can kill the guard upstairs of salty mast for 2 free exceptional stilettos at the start of act 2. Enchant them with lash and slayer and u got a pair of good mid game weapons.

Nice post! (Just thought I'd get that in there before I start making suggestions ;) ) Very close to my potd build. Now the comments:

Bloody Slaughter activates when the enemy is below 10% health. TEN! That's as good as never IMO, and a waste of a talent. I would much rather have Shadowing Beyond, as it can save my day and ruin someone elses a lot more often than a little extra damage on the occasional crit when a mob happens to be a few frames away from dead. You know that extra crit damage you get with the talent? Yeah - that is only for crits that are activated due to this specific talent. Not all crits.

Ps. I know it says "Stilettos" in the topic, so I guess that's not open for debate, but dual scimitars deals a truckload of more damage. Oh... I also used a superbly enchanted, crush resistant, clothing item for end game instead of armor. Who needs armor when your enemies can't see you for all of their innards being out in the open?

PPs. I see a lot of people taking deep wounds, but I don't know why. Does it add damage to every attack? Because a little dot seems pointless when you kill something in less than 2 seconds. Does it scale with +dmg and +crit? I hit "some boss" (can't remember) with a crit for >180 dmg I think with Finishing Blow. THAT was fun. I would miss finishing blow.

Yeah, I know Bloody Slaughter kinda sucks right now. I'm hoping the devs would bump it up to at least 30%-40% in future patches. The reason I took the talent is just for future-proofing reasons. If we get to fight high endurance monsters in the future expansions/sequels, it might come useful even at 10%. 

Dual Scimitars are awesome, I've tried it. But the Stiletto build is just for people who prefer typical "dagger" type Rogues, which is not really that bad.

I would wear a no-armor clothing, but in my playthrough, I chose to spare the Adra Dragon (for RP reasons). So no Superb enchatment. :p

As for Deep Wounds, I just chose it for the extra damage. I got a feeling that this ability was made for the Ranged Rogue. And with Retaliate armor, Deep Wounds seem to apply to those who attack you.

Edited by Veynn

• 2 weeks later...