Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

A good balanced Melee Rogue build without min maxing?

Balanced Melee Rogue Build

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

Psychevore

Psychevore

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 253 posts
  • Steam:Psychevore

Dumping int is a bad idea with rogues, it kills the damage from deep wounds as the duration is modified by it.

Deep Wounds is overwritten when you hit again regardless of duration, so if you're a melee rogue that's probably a non-issue

What this guy/gal says. You can and will apply deep wounds over and over and over and over and over. Even with 3 int you'll never see it expire.

(unless you're screwing up really badly :p)
  • Fessels likes this

Veynn

Veynn

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 178 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Since Con is a percentage effect, it has a lower impact the smaller your class's health pool is. A max level Rogue only gets about 5 endurance per point of Con, so the difference between 10 Con and 8 Con on a Rogue is the difference between 180 endurance and 170. This is why people find it so easy to dump Con when they're min-maxing. More power to you if you want to leave it average because it bothers you to have dump stats, though.

I dont know why I can't make myself min-max. In my 3000 hours of Infinity Engine games, I never got myself to min-max. 

Veynn

Veynn

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 178 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Dumping int is a bad idea with rogues, it kills the damage from deep wounds as the duration is modified by it.

Deep Wounds is overwritten when you hit again regardless of duration, so if you're a melee rogue that's probably a non-issue

What this guy/gal says. You can and will apply deep wounds over and over and over and over and over. Even with 3 int you'll never see it expire.

(unless you're screwing up really badly :p)

Well, unless there's going to be a future Rogue skill that needs long durations and wider range to be awesome, I guess 3 INT works for now.

• Fessels likes this

Psychevore

Psychevore

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 253 posts

Well, unless there's going to be a future Rogue skill that needs long durations and wider range to be awesome, I guess 3 INT works for now.

I don't think there ever will be. You kill so fast with a properly built rogue that duration just isn't even a part of the equation anymore. It just doesn't matter.

lastpawn

lastpawn

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

As others have said, min-maxing doesn't make that much of a difference in this game.

For example, Might. There simply isn't that much of a difference between 14 Might and 18 Might. Sure that extra 4 Might would give you 1.12 more damage, which is nice, but as a melee Rogue you already have Sneak + Reckless, far better than maxing Might.

What this means is that you shouldn't feel pressured to dump any stat to pump any other stat--especially on Normal--unless you want to. 

I beat the game with a Rogue with 12 Might and high Perception/Resolve because I wanted those (for deflection and RP purposes). At no point whatsoever did I think, "Oh boy, if only I had pumped 20 Might."

Edited by lastpawn, 12 May 2015 - 11:22 AM.

Psychevore

Psychevore

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 253 posts
But... min maxing is life :p

Spoiler

Sure, there's no need for min maxing, but I just wanted a ruthless band of killers ;)
And you attack a lot in the game. Like, all the time. Over the course of the game that difference in might is gonna add up.

but I'll stop derailing this thread now
  • Fessels likes this

Fessels

Fessels

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 65 posts

Since Con is a percentage effect, it has a lower impact the smaller your class's health pool is. A max level Rogue only gets about 5 endurance per point of Con, so the difference between 10 Con and 8 Con on a Rogue is the difference between 180 endurance and 170. This is why people find it so easy to dump Con when they're min-maxing. More power to you if you want to leave it average because it bothers you to have dump stats, though.

Well it is not that I do not lower one or two stats on other character types, I have a Barbarian with below default Per and also a Fighter with low Int. But I decided that I will act on that tip of Crucis and hire a mercenary Melee Rogue with a main character I like. That way I can experiment with less worries. :)

As others have said, min-maxing doesn't make that much of a difference in this game.

For example, Might. There simply isn't that much of a difference between 14 Might and 18 Might. Sure that extra 4 Might would give you 1.12 more damage, which is nice, but as a melee Rogue you already have Sneak + Reckless, far better than maxing Might.

What this means is that you shouldn't feel pressured to dump any stat to pump any other stat--especially on Normal--unless you want to. 

I beat the game with a Rogue with 12 Might and high Perception/Resolve because I wanted those (for deflection and RP purposes). At no point whatsoever did I think, "Oh boy, if only I had pumped 20 Might."

And at the moment I do not want a main Melee Rogue char that has stats below 10. But as I mention at the beginning of this post I will hire a Melee Rogue mercenary, that way I do not have to worry so much since he/she is just hired and not my main character. I could even use some of the advice given in this thread. It will be the first time that I will hire a Mercenary/Adventurer so I have no idea what I can get, but that will become clear once I do.

Edited by Fessels, 12 May 2015 - 01:51 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Balanced, Melee, Rogue, Build

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users