Has Obsidian stated how much kickstarter they need for POE 2 yet?

The DAO engine was great, but that's when Bioware used to have heart and soul.  If you take the DAO engine, triple the polycount, add more shaders, man there is a lot of great things you can do.  DAO should've made modding even easier. The best way to do this is just leave it all OPEN. Leave all your files open and exposed.  SHARE, SHARE, SHARE.

Still, Skyrim is on top in regards to modding and design.  There are so many things you can do to Skyrim, it baffles the mind. Skyrim has reached a point where nearly every single one of it's assets can be made from scratch using the same software the professionals used to make the game in the first place.

*CENSORED COMMENT*

Albeit comparing Skyrim to DAI is like comparing crap to diarhea

• Like 1

"There once was a loon that twitter

Before he went down the ****ter

In its demise he wasn't missed

Because there were bugs to be fixed."

~ Kaine

The DAO engine was great, but that's when Bioware used to have heart and soul.  If you take the DAO engine, triple the polycount, add more shaders, man there is a lot of great things you can do.  DAO should've made modding even easier. The best way to do this is just leave it all OPEN. Leave all your files open and exposed.  SHARE, SHARE, SHARE.

Still, Skyrim is on top in regards to modding and design.  There are so many things you can do to Skyrim, it baffles the mind. Skyrim has reached a point where nearly every single one of it's assets can be made from scratch using the same software the professionals used to make the game in the first place.

*CENSORED COMMENT*

Albeit comparing Skyrim to DAI is like comparing crap to diarhea

You didn't like Skyrim?

Having trouble with the games combat on POTD, Trial of Iron?

- Hurtin bomb droppin MONK - [MONK BUILD] - [CLICK HERE]

- Think Rangers suck? You're wrong - [RANGER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

- Fighter Heavy Tank - [FIGHTER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

Despite what I may post, I'm a huge fan of Pillars of Eternity, it's one of my favorite RPG's.

Anita Sarkeesian keeps Bioware's balls in a jar on her shelf.

Skyrim is alright with 239481048120 mods. Vanilla was a disaster in every sense

~ Kaine

Im telling you passionate people in modest condition make better games than AAA developers.

But I think this concept might be a little too much for your blockbuster-loving brain to grasp. It's unfortunate that you have such low standards for video games but, oh well

If passionate people with modest budgets make better games than AAA developers, how about passionate people with big budgets? Can that work, or is that self-contradictory to you?

• Like 1

If passionate people with modest budgets make better games than AAA developers, how about passionate people with big budgets? Can that work, or is that self-contradictory to you?

There is nothing wrong with it in principle, but large budgets tend to come with strings attached which tend to limit the options of developers no matter how passionate they are.

Assuming, just for a moment, that Luj1 is interested in an actual discussion: 20k is not that hard to come by.

Why don't we see lots of really good RPGs come out of the garages of this world?

• Like 2

Therefore I have sailed the seas and come

To the holy city of Byzantium. -W.B. Yeats

Χριστός ἀνέστη!

There is nothing wrong with it in principle, but large budgets tend to come with strings attached which tend to limit the options of developers no matter how passionate they are.

Kickstarter funds don't have any strings...

Im telling you passionate people in modest condition make better games than AAA developers.

If passionate people with modest budgets make better games than AAA developers, how about passionate people with big budgets?

Good question. Generally it doesn't work that way (wherever there is huge money involved there is a deficit of passion and love) but there is one exception I know of called CD Projekt Red.

Edited by Luj1

~ Kaine

Nor do they generate big budgets. The largest video game Kickstarters (PoE, Torment: Numenera, Might No. 9., etc). have all made on the order of $4M which is much less than the budget of a modern AAA game. The one example of a crowdfunded game with an AAA budget that I can think of is Star Citizen, but its model is relatively unique and not easily replicated by other games.

I assume they will upgrade to unity 5 for the sequel which would help modding tremendously. Also they would need less funding to make the sequel since they have already built the world and foundation for the game as well as having made a ton of assets that can be used for the sequel. Combine that with having actual experience with the engine that equates to needing less funding.

As far as voice acting goes I would say they would do better with having less of it compared to the first game.

Also since the game is reasonably profitable plus they will likely make a little money from the expansion I do not see them trying to crowd fund the entire game.

If the first game cost them around 4.5 to 5 million. (I'm assuming they went over budget based on delays) they would probably be able to make the sequel with 4 million and the game would likely be substantially superior to the first.

If they can raise the same amount of money they probably can improve on the amount of voice acting without any loss of features due to the engine already being developed. This would be ideal.

No, no more voiceacting... Less is More!

the more money they raise, the more shallow it'll be

if they put the Obsidian B team behind the sequel , expect another small RPG

Why the heck are you even still here... also DO point me at another 'small' RPG which lasts 90 hours.

Go on, I'm waiting... still waiting... oh you're full of **** like usual right?

Also I really prefer if they make PoE2 it doesn't Kickstart. Too many people with entitlement issues. Too much crap to reach stretch-goals. Just... no... never again.

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

I dare you to give me a good alternative then... a "long expansive" game.

Also I'll shoot you if you say Legends of Grimrock again.

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

No, no more voiceacting... Less is More!

All it really needs is sufficient VO to provide some emotional feel for the characters you're dealing with. Personally I'd like to see more animated ambiance; cities and towns with more people moving about and doing things. PoE felt almost deserted.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Assuming, just for a moment, that Luj1 is interested in an actual discussion: 20k is not that hard to come by.

Why don't we see lots of really good RPGs come out of the garages of this world?

Should have voted for Romney.

But I think this concept might be a little too much for your blockbuster-loving brain to grasp. It's unfortunate that you have such low standards for video games but, oh well

I don't know why I expected an actual answer from you.

Edited by Bryy

Nor do they generate big budgets. The largest video game Kickstarters (PoE, Torment: Numenera, Might No. 9., etc). have all made on the order of $4M which is much less than the budget of a modern AAA game. The one example of a crowdfunded game with an AAA budget that I can think of is Star Citizen, but its model is relatively unique and not easily replicated by other games.

To put those $4 Million into perspective:

SW:TOR took 200 Million dollars to make. GTA V took 137 Million dollars. And this is developement cost, not total cost (as a rule of thumb: marketing cost is usually as high as developement cost).

As seen here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_expensive_video_games_to_develop

Interesting fact: World of Warcraft (it's hard to find detailed numbers on that), only accumulated roughly 50 Million dollars total cost to this day. Considering this game is literally a money printing machine since 2004, one can only imagine the insane profits it generated for Blizzard.

Edited by Zwiebelchen
  • Like 1