Has Obsidian stated how much kickstarter they need for POE 2 yet?

Obsidian just let us know how much kickstarter you need for POE 2 once you have it all figured it out, even if you need kickstarter for POE expanasion just share the idea with us, TALK TO US :)

Ideally:

A) Goal - $5,000,000 - Allows POE 2 do add a lot of voice acting, modding tools and features x,y,z

B) Goal - $3,000,000 - Allows POE 2 to add features x, y, z

C) Goal - $1,000,000 - Allows POE 2 to add core/essential features ... etc

Modding is the most important, it's what keeps Skyrim selling so good to this day, eye candy ftw if you catch my drift, sex sells. I can share more details about this in a PM, since I want to avoid explicit/vulgar discussion.

Edited by luzarius
  • Like 1

Having trouble with the games combat on POTD, Trial of Iron?

- Hurtin bomb droppin MONK - [MONK BUILD] - [CLICK HERE]

- Think Rangers suck? You're wrong - [RANGER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

- Fighter Heavy Tank - [FIGHTER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

Despite what I may post, I'm a huge fan of Pillars of Eternity, it's one of my favorite RPG's.

Anita Sarkeesian keeps Bioware's balls in a jar on her shelf.

I assume they will upgrade to unity 5 for the sequel which would help modding tremendously. Also they would need less funding to make the sequel since they have already built the world and foundation for the game as well as having made a ton of assets that can be used for the sequel. Combine that with having actual experience with the engine that equates to needing less funding.

As far as voice acting goes I would say they would do better with having less of it compared to the first game.

Also since the game is reasonably profitable plus they will likely make a little money from the expansion I do not see them trying to crowd fund the entire game.

If the first game cost them around 4.5 to 5 million. (I'm assuming they went over budget based on delays) they would probably be able to make the sequel with 4 million and the game would likely be substantially superior to the first.

• Like 2

I assume they will upgrade to unity 5 for the sequel which would help modding tremendously. Also they would need less funding to make the sequel since they have already built the world and foundation for the game as well as having made a ton of assets that can be used for the sequel. Combine that with having actual experience with the engine that equates to needing less funding.

As far as voice acting goes I would say they would do better with having less of it compared to the first game.

Also since the game is reasonably profitable plus they will likely make a little money from the expansion I do not see them trying to crowd fund the entire game.

If the first game cost them around 4.5 to 5 million. (I'm assuming they went over budget based on delays) they would probably be able to make the sequel with 4 million and the game would likely be substantially superior to the first.

Do you happen to know what advantage unity 5 gives in regards to modding?

- Think Rangers suck? You're wrong - [RANGER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

Despite what I may post, I'm a huge fan of Pillars of Eternity, it's one of my favorite RPG's.

"As far as voice acting goes I would say they would do better with having less of it compared to the first game. "

Or an option to turn it off. Would rather read than listen to any voices at all. 

I know a lot of people don't like the voice acting, so I hope they at least design POE 2 in a way where the users can add voice acting themselves with extreme ease. 

Something like this:

1. Every NPC dialogue response has unique ID.

2. Choosing dialogue automatically attempts to play a wav file with the unique id as a filename if present (fileexists).

3. Modders can then turn on a flag in the console menu that shows a dialogue's unique id at the end of each response sentence, so modders know what to name the voice file for that response.

This will allow modders to add custom voice acting and those who want it can download it. 

Edited by luzarius

Essentially unity 5 is free for all until whatever you make earns a certain dollar amount. So for modders you get virtually the whole of unity 5 for free since it is unlikely a modder will earn the minimum amount of money.

Right now pillars uses unity 4.6 I believe which you have to pay for monthly if you want to use it. This makes it more challenging for modders.

There are other advantages to it but I believe those are the most important.

"As far as voice acting goes I would say they would do better with having less of it compared to the first game. "

Or an option to turn it off. Would rather read than listen to any voices at all.

I know a lot of people don't like the voice acting, so I hope they at least design POE 2 in a way where the users can add voice acting themselves with extreme ease.

Something like this:

1. Every NPC dialogue response has unique ID.

2. Choosing dialogue automatically attempts to play a wav file with the unique id as a filename if present (fileexists).

3. Modders can then turn on a flag in the console menu that shows a dialogue's unique id at the end of each response sentence, so modders know what to name the voice file for that response.

This will allow modders to add custom voice acting and those who want it can download it.

The problem with this is that if will still cost Obsidian a substantial amount of money to voice those things, money that could and should be used elsewhere in the game. Edited by danielkx
  • Like 2

I prefer having at least some voice acting instead silent "shells" of the game like Shadowrun Returns, which totally kills immersion.

Please lets not go that way, even BG and Fallout series had decent amount of voice overs.

Edited by player1

Spell Fixes compilation for Neverwinter Nights 2, as well as my other submissions for this great game.

Given that the main game already exceeded it's selling predictions and a possible expansion is likely to be selling well, I don't see a reason why they would bring a sequel to kickstarter again.

And also, after seeing PoE, I trust the developers that they will deliver a good sequel without the need for the community to be involved in the process again. It's more trouble than it's worth.

I think Obsidian should focus more on the main game and expansions first. This is their first IP and they should polish it more gameplay-wise and story-wise.

Unlike the IE games where there's already a basis when it comes to rulesets and lore, the PoE should make a strong foundation first. 

Don't think of updating the engine just yet. They can do that after everything is going great. Besides, they made a great, brand new, 10-year old game, and succeeded.

• Like 1

Given that the main game already exceeded it's selling predictions and a possible expansion is likely to be selling well, I don't see a reason why they would bring a sequel to kickstarter again.

And also, after seeing PoE, I trust the developers that they will deliver a good sequel without the need for the community to be involved in the process again. It's more trouble than it's worth.

Shadowrun Returns developers turned to Kickstarter once again for the sequel, despite the first two games in the series selling well at a glance. When you're self-funding a sequel in an unpopular genre, it helps to have an extra million+ dollars that imposes no legal obligations on you, unlike a private investor or bank loan.

(It's worth noting that Shadowrun Returns is incredibly well-made, and SR: Dragonfall was easily one of the best games of 2014)

Edited by Concordance
  • Like 4

Shadowrun Returns developers turned to Kickstarter once again for the sequel, despite the first two games in the series selling well at a glance. When you're self-funding a sequel in an unpopular genre, it helps to have an extra million+ dollars that imposes no legal obligations on you, unlike a private investor or bank loan.

(It's worth noting that Shadowrun Returns is incredibly well-made, and SR: Dragonfall was easily one of the best games of 2014)

On the other hand Larian Studios (D:OS) refused to do Kickstarter once again, since they felt that Kickstarter should be limited to projects that really need the money, and due to the success of their game, they do not "need" Kickstarter to make another great game.

Edited by player1
  • Like 1

Spell Fixes compilation for Neverwinter Nights 2, as well as my other submissions for this great game.

This should not be.   If POE 1 is successful and profitable, then a portion of the profits should fund the creation of POE2 which would presumably also produce a profitable game.  If POE 1 is not successful enough to fund this, the project is not worth doing.

I would not mind either an expansion to POE or a more NWN2 setup where players could add adventures and content...  It would make my day to have an open world from this game...

This should not be.   If POE 1 is successful and profitable, then a portion of the profits should fund the creation of POE2 which would presumably also produce a profitable game.  If POE 1 is not successful enough to fund this, the project is not worth doing.

I would not mind either an expansion to POE or a more NWN2 setup where players could add adventures and content...  It would make my day to have an open world from this game...

I wouldn't mind some kind of blend where they invest some of their profits in creating a sequel, paired with additional funds from a kickstarter though.

xosmi.gif

I would hope they move to the DAO engine, as I cant really get into my character from 100 feet up.

No thanks!

• Like 3

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

I would hope they move to the DAO engine, as I cant really get into my character from 100 feet up.

plz no

• Like 2

"There once was a loon that twitter

Before he went down the ****ter

In its demise he wasn't missed

Because there were bugs to be fixed."

~ Kaine

the more money they raise, the more shallow it'll be

if they put the Obsidian B team behind the sequel , expect another small RPG

~ Kaine

Stated twice already, but for the love of all that's good and right in the world let the Eclipse engine rest in whatever hell it has been banished to. I have no idea why but all Bioware developed 3D engines somehow only seemed to be able to handle four colours: brown, mud brown, dark sienna and black. There's a reason Hawke says "Kirkwall isn't brown enough for me" in jest at some point during Dragon Age 2 (yeah technically it's the same engine with some added bells and whistles but Kirkwall sure is a bit more vibrant than Ferelden).

• Like 3

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Pray tell, what is the "right amount"?

four people in a basement with 20k = better game than PoE

~ Kaine

Pray tell, what is the "right amount"?

four people in a basement with 20k = better game than PoE

.... that's completely contradictory to what you just said.

PoE was made for $6m. You said any more would get sloppy. Now you're telling me that $20k makes a better game?

• Like 1

The DAO engine was great, but that's when Bioware used to have heart and soul.  If you take the DAO engine, triple the polycount, add more shaders, man there is a lot of great things you can do.  DAO should've made modding even easier. The best way to do this is just leave it all OPEN. Leave all your files open and exposed.  SHARE, SHARE, SHARE.

Still, Skyrim is on top in regards to modding and design.  There are so many things you can do to Skyrim, it baffles the mind. Skyrim has reached a point where nearly every single one of it's assets can be made from scratch using the same software the professionals used to make the game in the first place.

*CENSORED COMMENT*

Edited by luzarius
  • Like 1