Why doesn't Durance react to Fire Godlikes?

If there's one character that does not care about whether your birth as anything was your choice or not, it's Dur-motherf***ing-ance.

Dude, I hate to be a grammer nazi but, in English, when you use an expletive infix, it goes ahead of the stressed syllable.

E.g. Fan-mother****in-tastic would be correct. Fantas-mother****in-tic would be incorrect.

So, really, "Durance" can't take an expletive infix because the stress is on the first syllable. 

Again, sorry, it just bothers me when I see grammar mistakes in English.  :-

:cat: Internet forums must be very difficult for you.  The usage of incorrect grammar being so rampant.

Durance is a very interesting character but you need to ignore the vision at first and ask him about other things.  For someone who does not want to answer questions he will on at length about Ashfall. 

• Like 1

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg

If there's one character that does not care about whether your birth as anything was your choice or not, it's Dur-motherf***ing-ance.

Dude, I hate to be a grammer nazi but, in English, when you use an expletive infix, it goes ahead of the stressed syllable.

E.g. Fan-mother****in-tastic would be correct. Fantas-mother****in-tic would be incorrect.

So, really, "Durance" can't take an expletive infix because the stress is on the first syllable. 

Again, sorry, it just bothers me when I see grammar mistakes in English.  :-

:cat: Internet forums must be very difficult for you.  The usage of incorrect grammar being so rampant.

Abso-****in-lutely.

You are expecting too much from this game. I once created a paladin who is from Old Vailia and expected Pallegina to react somehow. How naive of me  :dancing:

Why would she? Old Vailia != Vailian Republics. If you're Italian and go to, say, Mexico, do you expect the people there to go "HI, FELLOW COUNTRYMAN?"

Have a very nice day.

-fgalkin

You're using a pretty bad example with Pallegina, though, simply because her implementation is equally terrible in this regard, as pointed out in the third post of this thread. She doesn't recognize you as a godlike at all, either, firelike or otherwise, and you can talk to her about her being a godlike as if it's something you've never seen before... as a godlike yourself.

It's jarring.

It's one of the bigger issues I have with the roleplaying aspects of the game and that's not confined to the godlike characters. The world doesn't react to your choice of god either when you're playing a priest. There are a few rare instances when Paladins get their order specific lines in conversations. It's a general issue that makes me refrain from playing any of these classes, since you simply can't roleplay them according to their mission.

• Like 1

Again, sorry, it just bothers me when I see grammar mistakes in English.  whistling.gif

I doubt that there's hard rules for inserting -motherf***ing- into things, but I knew that it didn't fit on the structure alone. Like you say, Durance can't take an "expletive infix". I just didn't care.

deal_with_it_glasses_by_stewartisme-d5tu

You are expecting too much from this game. I once created a paladin who is from Old Vailia and expected Pallegina to react somehow. How naive of me dancing.gif

Why would she? Old Vailia != Vailian Republics. If you're Italian and go to, say, Mexico, do you expect the people there to go "HI, FELLOW COUNTRYMAN?"

Have a very nice day.

-fgalkin

This largely comes down to when Old Valia and the Vailian Republics split apart. It we're talking Mexico, we're talking New Spain, so if you're making a comparison, we should compare it to Spain, not Italy.

And today, yeah, fair point. But let's say Mexico 1820's-1830's, maybe even a bit later? Yeah, I'd expect there to be some talk between the two.

It's hard to really say, though, but I get the feeling that there's a lot more tying Old Valia together with the Vailian Republics than such a comparison would allow for. After all, Mexico today cannot in good conscience be called a child of Spain. But Vailians in both Old Vailia and the Vailian Republics seem to refer to themselves as Vailians, and share overall ethnicity, as well most social conventions and assumptions.

It's hard to tell for sure, but whether they have a strong shared cultural and national origin or are largely antagonistic towards eachother, either would merit conversation.

Edited by Luckmann

t50aJUd.jpg

Durance might not believe that fire godlike have anything to do with Magran. It's a common belief in the Dyrwood, but IIRC it's not stated to be religious orthodoxy, and Durance is a pretty heterodox follower anyways.

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

The timeline states that the Vailian Republics became independent when the Grand Empire collapsed. In 2648, so 175 years before the events of PoE

Have a very nice day.

-fgalkin

So, relatively speaking, yesterday.

Durance might not believe that fire godlike have anything to do with Magran. It's a common belief in the Dyrwood, but IIRC it's not stated to be religious orthodoxy, and Durance is a pretty heterodox follower anyways.

I mean, it's possible, but.. I find it a bit far-fetched. The belief that Godlikes have been touched by the gods, blessed or cursed, seems to be near-universal. Even if Durance wouldn't believe in it, it would be downright bizarre to contemplate that he doesn't know about it, for which reason I think that if this was true, he should at least comment and say that he doesn't.

As in, if he believes in Firelikes being blessed or cursed by Magran, he should say something. If he doesn't believe it, he knows that it's a widely acknowledged fact, and should point out that he will not treat you differently, because he doesn't care.

• Like 1

t50aJUd.jpg

Sadly, the more plausible explanation is that it's an oversight. Or the budget didn't provide for the NPC world reacting to player race and/or rerligious choices. It may be that one person doesn't react (it wouldn't be a Magran fanatic such as Durance though), but the whole world fails to react, even if you're playing a priest of Skaen or a Bleak Walker. There's one single Skaen line in the whole game, as far as I can tell and there's only a handfull of other religious references.

As I said above. It makes it less interesting playing such a character, since you don't get the feeling of really experiencing your choices. That's one of the major reasons why I steer clear of Paladin or priest or godlike. There are no roleplaying elements to these classes. You pick your god and your choice becomes pretty much inconsequential.

• Like 1

I think  abaris has a point about time and budget entering into the lack of comments.  We have eight races and 11 classes  which would mean a lot of work to have the companions commenting much less other NPCs.

If we are honest if they included a few comments say of Durance reacting to the fire godlike there would be players complaining because their particular build wasn't represented.

(I still think my godlike should be able to make a smart/clever remark to that stupid magistrate.)  :grin:

Edited by Nakia

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg