I had just started a Barbarian build on Expert, Iron, Path of Damned but I read after 1.05 the Barbarian would not be able to do it. I plan on continuing until I hit a wall just to get a better idea of the difficulty of all the battles, but can anyone say if the Barbarian has been nerfed so badly they can no longer solo?

What about the other classes?

It seems like the Caed Nua compulsory phantom fight is the real bottleneck for build viability. I'm trying to solo it as a Rogue currently (PotD not Iron) but it's still a huge chore. I've heard fortitude of over 59 makes you not be stun-locked, so builds where that is do-able might be a good idea. Other than that you can get into situations where you can cheese a corner and only have one shadow engage you and pick off the phantoms with a fully upgraded ranged weapon (Spirit Slaying, Fine, Burning Lash - remembering as I didn't ranged weapons require twice the ingredients), requiring reasonable accuracy and health (Rymrgand's Mantle, which I've never not got by Caed Nua, should keep your endurance up). Either that or play a Chanter and use your summons, or play a Fire Godlike with any class and let Battle-Forged take them out (though you'll likely suffer for not having Moon Godlike later).

Really, they need to reduce the length of phantom stun - both so players don't get stun-locked (I can literally be stun-cloked for 5 minutes before dying currently) and the Chanter can't easily phantom stun-lock things either.

Edited by Jojobobo

Fighter, Paladin, Monk, Wizard, Druid, Chanter, should all be able to do it. 

Barbarian has lost the buggy ability & one relatively easy source of Retaliation, but a reworked build should still be able to do it. I can imagine Rogue is also possible.

Less sure about Ranger or Cipher as I've never tried to build them in any solo-able manner.

Tbh any class.

Imo as of 1.05:

Top tier: Wizard, Priest

Pro tier: Monk(top tier for act 1), Druid, Cipher, Chanter

Ok tier: Fighter, Paladin (goes up to pro tier late act 2- early act 3)

I'd better avoid difficult fights tier: Barb, Ranger, Rogue(pro tier for pacifist run)

Overall - vancian casters going nova naturally can manage more difficult fights overall. Druid is behind Wizard/Priest as he lacks defensive moves and CC versatility though, plus he has accuracy problems on top. Semi casters like monk/cipher/chanter also do pretty well. Ability to counter some forms of cc in some ways adds extra points (wizard, priest, monk, high level paladin are the best in this). Tanks follow next. Pure physical dps classes are the worst as they are squishy, can't nova and have no CC counters, but Rogue has shadowing beyond as a saving grace.

Edited by MadDemiurg
  • Like 2

All of the classes are perfectly capable of completing a solo run at the hardest settings. Some will just have an easier time about it, while others can be very unforgiving and a single mistake could end the run. I would generalize that classes with poor AoE or ability kits for soloing have stronger base stats, and vice versa, allowing both class types to solo. Using the Animat summon, any class can clear Caed Nua at level 4 latest, opening the world enough to pick and choose sufficiently easy quests, all the way to Act IV. Race is also insignificant enough to allow for freedom of choice, but the moon godlike is strong enough to make combinations with certain melee oriented classes trivial.

So I recommend choosing whichever class & race combination you feel like you might enjoy the most, as success will depend on the way you play and build your character rather than class selection. Your current barbarian should do perfectly fine and I wish you luck with the run.

IF Caed Nua is point where solo run breaks for some classes THEN the solution is to avoid the fight. It is not compulsory, I just tested with latest patch to be sure.

It can be "sneaked away/from" just like many other fights in game and nowhere it is written it cannot or should not be skipped. Actually, there is none sense in fighting them solo. There is no reward and there is little skill involved in the fight. Even after it was repeatedly posted on this board how to avoid the fight, the possibility to avoid it is still present in game which leads to essentially two options: a) dev dunno wtf is going on b) its intended. IF its a) well .. lol get some testers Obsidian and if its b) ... don't fight them. The purpose is not necessarily to kill everything but to progress in story to the final encounter.

btw in my experience Rogue is excellent for this purpose - to beat the game solo. Pacifist or not.

In my experience I have tried with Cipher, but I am not sure how well they will do with the reduced starting focus. I died vs Thaos, but that was fine becasue I had to rely on S/L exploit, if you miss with your ability 3 times in a row then you might find yourself in a bad spot. Also, one of their main benefits felt like it was the mind control abilities, and you can get a helmet to replicate that. 

Trying now with Wizard without S/L and I have restarted 3 times. Very very strong, but unforgiving for mistakes or rash choices. Also, it turns out that +50 deflection from Arcane Veil does not make you invulnerable even in act one :p But overall it feels a lot easier than Cipher so far. That Staff you can summon at level 1. So Strong!

I am also doing a solo pacifist run with Rogue, and it seems tempting for a TCS play except that some encounters are buggy since they wont end even if you are miles away from an enemy and wait an hour. Also enemies have to 'tag' you even if you go invisible, so you might end up fighting anyway, and without he option to load and try again, so you might end up fighting the mod you tried to sneak past :/   

Edited by Omnicron

6ej155.jpg

IF Caed Nua is point where solo run breaks for some classes THEN the solution is to avoid the fight. It is not compulsory, I just tested with latest patch to be sure.

It can be "sneaked away/from" just like many other fights in game and nowhere it is written it cannot or should not be skipped. 

You mean inside or out? I couldn't find a way to sneak past everything. I ended up having to fight the will o wisp with my Barbarian but couldn't get him down. I was only level3 though, so maybe too early? My alternative was slowly kill everything else and just avoid the wisps lol

Edited by kryadan

I mean both. Tested with Stealth 5, sneaking through "Dungeons" with spiders on 1 level  included, not sure about lower. 

Inside:

cLP6Mi.jpg
nQpRN6.jpg

Sneak close to door to activate dialogue and start combat, activate figurine and move away from combat.

---

edit: yeah Barbarian has it tough due to starting stats. Cipher can do it level 3 solo, Barb probably needs to do more running around to get to level 4. Then again, Barb should win the fights needed to get there. I have not played Barb, was waiting for OSA fix, may try it now though.

Edited by knownastherat
  • Like 2

I mean both. Tested with Stealth 5, sneaking through "Dungeons" with spiders on 1 level  included, not sure about lower. 

Inside:

cLP6Mi.jpg

nQpRN6.jpg

Sneak close to door to activate dialogue and start combat, activate figurine and move away from combat.

---

edit: yeah Barbarian has it tough due to starting stats. Cipher can do it level 3 solo, Barb probably needs to do more running around to get to level 4. Then again, Barb should win the fights needed to get there. I have not played Barb, was waiting for OSA fix, may try it now though.

Thank you SO MUCH. Just got here with my TCS Wizard and it totally worked :)

PS. Was totally impressed with the Wizard here. Forgot to rest to recharge my figurine and only realized after starting the fight. Ran out of the room with sugar and fast runner. And buffed like crazy: Hardened Veil, Spirit Shield, Infuse with Vital Essence, and Mirror Image (with Cape of Withdrawal) And I managed to pull the mobs, even got stuck in spider silk twice and survived just fine :)

Edited by Omnicron

6ej155.jpg