Game won't start after patch 1.05

AJE

Question

Steam recently automatically updated the game to version 1.05 (not in any of the beta patches or anything) and now pillars won't even start at all for me.  It just stays on a black screen for several minutes then quits out.  I verified the game's local cache integrity and tried again with the same result.

I'm on Mac OS 10.10.3.  If there's anything else I can provide please let me know! I'm assuming this is the right place to post this.

7 answers to this question

I just saw a post on the steam site that said the patch changes the name of a directory the game needs.  let me see if I can find that for you.

basically, you just need to change the name of the directory back, and the game should work again.

edit:

here's the info:

I just renamed the EmptySteamDepot folder to PillarsofEternity_Data

so, open the folder where the program is installed, look for the folder named " EmptySteamDepot"

and rename that folder to:  "PillarsofEternity_Data"

that seems to be the problem most people who updated to 1.05 are having.

hope that works for you.

fwiw, it looks like the patch installer is failing to remove the temporary files and then properly rename the folders.

Edited by Ichthyic

Hmm, I tried doing that and no look.  It appears that I had both the PillarsofEternity_Data and EmptySteamDepot folders already (possibly because I tried to verify the steam install cache). Strangely enough, both folders are actually empty.  Weird.

I guess I'll try uninstalling and reinstalling since the folder rename didn't work for me. Both folders already existed and there was nothing in either of them!

Where do save files reside though? I'm about 12-15 hours into the game and really don't want to lose my saves.

I guess I'll try uninstalling and reinstalling since the folder rename didn't work for me. Both folders already existed and there was nothing in either of them!

Where do save files reside though? I'm about 12-15 hours into the game and really don't want to lose my saves.

By default, Mac saves should be located ~/Library/Application Support/Pillars of Eternity/Saved Games .

Got a bug :cat:?? Help us squish it!

• In your report Include your *save file* (C:\Users\YourNameHere\Saved Games\Pillars of Eternity) and ...
  • PC: *output_log.txt* (In your PillarsOfEternity_Data folder)
  • Mac/Linux: *Player.log* (In your Unity folder)

• Thank you for your help!

Okay, so I tried uninstalling (I confirmed all the files were deleted) then reinstalling.

Tried starting Pillars of Eternity and I have the same issue -  just a black screen.  I went to check the files that I had and it was:

Cookbook

Docs

Documentary

Links

PillarsOfEternity (14.42 GB)

EmptySteamDepot

The EmptySteamDepot folder was -empty-

Even after I renamed it to PillarsofEternity_Data I got the same issue where the screen just goes black. No error message or anything else.

Is there anything else I can or should do, or another place I should bug report this?

Stuck in the same boat you are AJE.   I found and checked the Pillars folders, Seen that I had both a "EmptySteamDepot" and "PillarsofEternity_Data"  folder.   The Depot folder was empty, the Data folder had a ton of files.  I deleted the Depot folder and still can't load the game. 

I don't know if this makes any difference but my Steam stuff is all on my removable hard drive.  Set as Drive "L".  

I guess I should mention that I'm running the game on a Windows not a Mac.

Edited by Grom56

One additional note, if you DO have a folder called PillarsOfEternity_Data (so the error message seems wrong), check inside it. If it only contains one item, copy everything from the EmptySteamDepot folder into the PillarsOfEternity_Data folder. That's what worked for me anyway.