Why are the wizard and priest totally useless in this game

This game is hard to follow, I played BG 1 and 2 but in this game, when my priest or wizard cast spells, nothing happens, they just run into a fight using there weapons and get eliminated, this is really crap, totally pissing me off

The wizard and priest do require some care when you use them. Spells have ranges, and some of the spell ranges are quite short. If you tell a mage or priest to cast a spell with a 5-meter range on someone 10 meters away, the caster will run up until they are close enough to cast it. This can seriously mess things up if you weren't planning for that!

The way to prevent this is, when you go to cast the spell, look at the circular pointer you use to click where you want the spell to be. If it has a little icon of footprints on it, that means that spot is too far away from your spellcaster, and your caster will need to walk closer in order to cast the spell there. If you don't want your caster to do that, don't cast that spell on that spot. Or, if the pointer is red with a crossed-out eye on it, that means your caster doesn't have line-of-sight on that spot and will need to move bfeore casting. So if you don't want your spellcaster moving, you should only cast the spell if the pointer is the regular spell-casting pointer, and doesn't have footprints or an eye on it.

Once you get used to managing their spells, they are fairly powerful classes.

Alternately, do you accidentally have your casters set to use their melee weapons? You can switch between their two weapons; make sure they're set to be using their wand (or whatever their range weapon is) and not a sword or quarterstaff or something. The character's inventory page will show them holding the weapon they are currently using.

• Like 2

So they're obviously casting the wrong spells or you're simply playing them wrong.

How does it even happen that they run into the fight? Either you tell them to or you don't look at the spell icon showing you running feet, which means that they hve to close some distance to cast that particular spell.

I can't count the times when Durance kept my party alive and buffed or Aloth took care of a horde of enemies. You just have to know which spell to cast in which situation. They're everything but useless.

I agree with the above replies.  Priests and wizards are very useful but you have to manage them.  Spend some coin to have wizards learn a variety of spells, make sure they have good spells in their active grimoira.

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg

Priests aren't Clerics from BG1 or BG2 also. Plus in the IE games most times a fighter would be dual classed to a Cleric. And a cleric self buffs might them stronger then a fighter. Healing spells were probably higher level in BG2 as compared to PoE heals.

But Wizards can self buff an enter melee just like in Bg2 and IWD. You do have to read the Wizard spells. Some are AoE and soem are Foe AoE only.

Overall Bg2 was more about chess game between enemy and party arcane magic users. PoE isn't so much about buffs and debuffs on normal or even hard mode then it is crowd control and disables. Spellcasters are really good at disables in PoE.

Priests aren't Clerics from BG1 or BG2 also. Plus in the IE games most times a fighter would be dual classed to a Cleric. And a cleric self buffs might them stronger then a fighter. Healing spells were probably higher level in BG2 as compared to PoE heals.

Eh, Clerics are certainly not bad melee combatants either.  They can reach the base accuracy as higher fighters, rangers, and rogue with their specialization talents.  Priests of Skaen can also get minor sneak attacks when using their specialized weapons.

This game is hard to follow, I played BG 1 and 2 but in this game, when my priest or wizard cast spells, nothing happens, they just run into a fight using there weapons and get eliminated, this is really crap, totally pissing me off

Fan of flames. Use it.

• Like 1

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

Priest is alright if you wanna take it easy. I learned to use the buffs and they are FANTASTIC.

Wizard is good too but it requires rest rest rest rest which might be a bit annoying to you on higher difficulties. A cd or something else would have been better. Still after level 9 and 11 you get to have them on per encounter which is better. Wish those came earlier though.

No idea what you are talking about, unless you are giving them melee weapons and expecting Battle Mages.

Well, you can be a priest of Eothas with Hope Eternal and have +10 to accuracy with two melee weapon types. Not quite sure you should, though.

Pillars of Bugothas

A cd or something else would have been better. Still after level 9 and 11 you get to have them on per encounter which is better. Wish those came earlier though.

That would make it far to easy. There are quite a number of rings and talents in the game, granting additional spells per level. I found them more than sufficient, although I'm only using Aloth for wizard and never actually had a player character going down that road.

LOL.  I mean my wizards usually top my damage chart, even when they are rolling with Ciphers, Monks, Barbarians and Druids.  Priests have saved my party on more than one occasion and are useful for their variety of healing, buffs and offensive spells.

Sir I supsect you are a troll

Random thoughts:

Might affects everything, including healing and damage spells. 

intellect affects the duration of buffs and debuffs.

If your primary weapon is a sword, you will charge the enemy and try to cut on it.  If your primary weapon is a bow, or a gun or wand etc, you will stay in the back and shoot instead.  Shooting is much, much, much safer than running up to things.

Every character can use armor.   Putting plate mail on your casters is not only useful, but *extremely* useful in the early game before they gain some survivability.

Mage spells are about 85% debuffs and about 15% damage dealers.  FUBAR the enemy so your melee damage guys can kill them easier is generally more effective than trying to fireball a group to death.   That way, one spell can win a tough fight, whereas with damage spells, you may need all 4 casts to take out the group....

aloth is poorly rolled.   His stats are very bad.

This is not BG.  There is no automatic spell casting, you have to click on the character and cast any spells you want used.  

Read each spell description and figure out where your healing, buffs, and debuffs are.   Study what the debuffs DO  --- what does BLIND really do, what does paralysis do, what does stuck do?   The effects of magic usually have an effect on the target's ability to avoid damage, making it easier to hit them.  If they are easier to hit, they are ALSO eaiser to crit.   Reducing the target's deflection will cause a melee damage party to simply flat out destroy the enemy in short order.   Reducing their will or reflex will allow a caster damage heavy party (like druid, mage, cipher in the back)  to wipe out the enemy in short order.  

And while on the topic: ciphers can cast spells every fight without resting to regain them.  Early on, when your wizard has like 3 spells, the cipher is 100 times better.   Later, when your wizard has like 30 spells between rests, the wizard is more flexible and worth having.

Wizzards and Priests are extremely useful.

Currently I play on Path of the Damned and I love them both.

Wizard:

I Rerolled Aloth to 18/3/10/8/18/18 (only for PotD, on easy/normal/hard it would be 18/3/18/3/18/15) using IE Mod and he is great! If you dont want to use IE Mod just hire a Wizard you then lose all Aloth Dialogs...

He just casts the level 1 Ice Cloud and 2 Arcane Assaults every fight, then uses his ranged weapon till a mob attacks him, that makes him quickly switch to Hatchet+Shield and activate Arcane Veil, he now has more Deflection than my Tanks and can stay alive until the mob is dead.

The level 2 AOE Blind is also cool, all Mobs in the Area lose 25 Attack and Defence... what more do we want?

Priest:

He lacks the defensive abilities of a Wizard, but with Armor of Faith(1) and Blessing(1) your Group hits better an lives much longer, Iconic Projection(2) heals your complete Group and damages all enemies. 

On Difficulty Hard or lower both classes dish out a lot of AoE damage, but I hate Chars that are not optimized, after optimizing the game was way to easy and I had to start over on PotD :-)

I don't think that wizards are useless, they have a good mixture of buffs and damaging spells, though they do feel a bit infirior compared to druids.
Priests though... I agree that compared to other classes, they don't seem to be as good.

The priests, the mages and the archers always required extra care. Used properly they are what keeps your tanks alive and well:)

Try various builds, experiment to death, that's the way to get a good character. Might be frustrating, boring, but you will get something right in the end.

This thread, lol. Only thing that keeps you from having MORE casters is lazyness. In terms of power wizards and priests are awesome.

Oh stop with insulting bovine fecal matter.

You got issues. I wasn't insulting anyone. Now for you that's an entirely different story.

• Like 1