The Hermit of Hadret House (bug?)

Cr33g

Question

Hey everyone.

I bought Pillars of Eternity from Steam about a month ago and I'm almost fifty hours into the game. I'm loving it, however I've come across what I think is a bug that has hindered my progress. :(

In the quest "The Hermit of Hadret House", I've been asked by Lady Webb to join one of the three factions of Defiance Bay as a representative to go to that animancy hearing. I only did one quest for the Dozens, I did nothing for those other guys (forget their names) and I did all the quests for the Crucible Knights and became an honorary member of that faction. I spoke to the leader and he said that I could go to the hearing on the Crucible Knights' behalf and my journal entry has stated the same thing.

Unfortunately when I return to Lady Webb to give her an update on the situation, the only dialogue option I get is that I've burned all the bridges to the three factions and cannot get any of their help. Lady Webb can still help me but... it's the least ideal situation as I would prefer to do this through the Knights.

I've heard others are experiencing similar issues. The recent big patch doesn't seem to rectify this. Is there a fix or any way to resolve this? Sadly, I can't explore any more of the game until I go through with this mission (I read some spoilers online that in order to further progress my travels, I have to finish this quest).

Thoughts? 

• Like 1

Same here and this is my number 1 issue with the game. This quest is central to the plot and I've picked my side as part of the role-playing experience. In order to move on I have to choose "I've burned all bridges" event though I can go to my faction (Crucible Knights) and request to be part of the hearing with their faction.

I'm also running patch 1.05.   

• Like 1

Aye. I'm also running the latest patch, 1.05. 

In all honesty, I'm tempted to make a new save game and select the "burned all my bridges" option. However, I don't want to just give up like that and I would very much rather go with the Crucible Knights. After all, if I take the easy and only option, it makes my work with the Crucible Knights seem so pointless.

Hoping a resolution is made to this as soon as possible. I can't go any further in game until I do this quest. 

never mind, i suck

Edited by omgFIREBALLS

My Deadfire mods
Out With The Good: The mod for tidying up your Deadfire combat tooltip.
Waukeen's Berth: Make all your basic purchases at Queen's Berth.
Carrying Voice: Wider chanter invocations.
Nemnok's Congregation: Lets all priests express their true faith.

Deadfire skill check catalogue right here!

Hic. Wait, what? I don't even know how to confirm that anymore, I just haven't seen anything saying it's been released and bugs like this one make it still feel like beta. :|

My Deadfire mods

It was in beta until the 7th of May. It went live for everyone when they changed some stuff with Steam depots. Make peace with the fact that a complex game such as PoE will never be bug-free.

Edited by Insolentius
  • Like 2

Thank you for enlightening me. Not sure about making peace with some of these bugs getting through though, but that's a different discussion.

My Deadfire mods

I caved in and I made a separate save file, choosing the "burned all bridges" option unfortunately. I guess I'm impatient, as I didn't want to wait for a possible fix that may never come along, or at least might take a while until it comes along. I kinda regret doing it and I wish I didn't have to but at the end of the day, it's better than waiting and it's in a separate save file at the very least. 

Same problem. I've uploaded a save, standing in front of Lady Webb. Maybe that helps. The journal says I've gotten the approval of the Crucible Knights and need to talk to her.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41251916/120353e4fe9344fa9d841dfcc1a70ab2%2014207697%20HadretHouse.savegame

Also, I'd noticed that Webb allowed me to select the "burned bridges" option even before I talked to the Clyver about the hearings. I didn't think much of it at the time, figuring it was just a shortcut for people who didn't want to go to all that trouble. Never selected that line and instead went directly to Clyver. Now, after looking through other threads about Bugs with this quest, I guess it should only be available after you really mess up your relationship with all three factions, like attacking their members. My standing with the Crucible Knights is "Champion" but I remember that I accidentally attacked two justiciars with AOE spells during that whole Forge Knight riot. They went red and I had to kill them. Just those two generic knights and nobody else ever commented on that. Maybe that has something to do with why the game assumes I've got no other chance to get into the hearing.

Also, I'd noticed that Webb allowed me to select the "burned bridges" option even before I talked to the Clyver about the hearings. I didn't think much of it at the time, figuring it was just a shortcut for people who didn't want to go to all that trouble. Never selected that line and instead went directly to Clyver. Now, after looking through other threads about Bugs with this quest, I guess it should only be available after you really mess up your relationship with all three factions, like attacking their members. My standing with the Crucible Knights is "Champion" but I remember that I accidentally attacked two justiciars with AOE spells during that whole Forge Knight riot. They went red and I had to kill them. Just those two generic knights and nobody else ever commented on that. Maybe that has something to do with why the game assumes I've got no other chance to get into the hearing.

I wonder if this has to do with if you attacked the knights in the Forge Knight Riot.  I remember attacking some of the knights that were getting attacked, but completed the quest no problem.  Wonder if it considers you "aggroing" the knights and then doesn't let you get their invite to the trial.

I wonder if this has to do with if you attacked the knights in the Forge Knight Riot.  I remember attacking some of the knights that were getting attacked, but completed the quest no problem.  Wonder if it considers you "aggroing" the knights and then doesn't let you get their invite to the trial.

Yeah, I accidentally aggroed some of the knights too during that quest and I have this problem.  The leader of the Crucible Knights gave me permission to attend the hearings but there is no option to tell this to Lady Webb.  Also, the burned bridges option was there before and after talking to the Crucible Knights leader.

The upcoming patch should fix Lady Webb's dialogue options retro-actively as long as you load a save from before you chose the dialogue option that you "burned all bridges".

Nice. I've been waiting for that. Didn't want to go the reddit way for fear that it may lead to some unexpected problems down the road.