How do you deal with Charm, Domination, Paralysis effects on solo playthrough?

Hey guys,

I'm doing solo wizard playthrough (normal difficulty) and everything was going pretty well until some enemies with nasty status alignments started to appear.

First it was during Undead Raedric fight when I found myself unable to do anything, being constantly charmed by his Fampyre fellows I couldn't cast a single spell once they got onto me. My only hope was to make them fight each other (lvl 4 spell) then get some summons and pray that with couple more spells I can make them kill each other. Unfortunately, too many fortunate rng rolls would have to happen for this to work.

Another time it was during Vithrack invastion when I realized that I cannot let them hit me even once or I will be perma stunned/paralyzed forever. So again same strategy: make them fight each other, summons etc...

But frankly gameplay became extremely tedious at some point with no hard counters to such effects. In good old BG2 we got tons of items granting immunity to certain effects, but here there is none. The best we got are +10 to save rolls talents, which don't do much at all. Yes, I know, game is not balanced for soloing it but still...no real counters to such effects...

After many tries I even had to lower the difficulty to easy for a fight with Undead Raedric, so he came without his summons, because their charm spam was too much to handle. I wanted to beat them so much being interrupted 24/7 was getting ridiculous. So, how do you deal with this all?

If you're doing ironman, yes, I'd avoid any of these. If not, they are all perfectly doable with many classes.

I tend to believe that as do not have experience with all classes. The part of save & reload which enables me to try different approaches, to what I perceive as puzzle, is the part I probably like most. The game offer lots of tools and as it seems the community has discovered probably all of them by now. 

It depends. It does not have to be ironman. Depends on reward for winning such fights, time to yield ratio, or alternative non-violent solution in case of quests. Choice and consequence. Solo necessarily revolves around summons, own or figurines. Unless for Chuck Norris character. Apart from items and de/buffs, summons can probably deal with some of the troubling effects.

Arcane reflection .. I wonder how widely used it is ;)

If you're doing ironman, yes, I'd avoid any of these. If not, they are all perfectly doable with many classes.

I tend to believe that as do not have experience with all classes. The part of save & reload which enables me to try different approaches, to what I perceive as puzzle, is the part I probably like most. The game offer lots of tools and as it seems the community has discovered probably all of them by now. 

It depends. It does not have to be ironman. Depends on reward for winning such fights, time to yield ratio, or alternative non-violent solution in case of quests. Choice and consequence. Solo necessarily revolves around summons, own or figurines. Unless for Chuck Norris character. Apart from items and de/buffs, summons can probably deal with some of the troubling effects.

Arcane reflection .. I wonder how widely used it is ;)

(minor) arcane reflection - I'm trying to do a legit TC solo wiz now (no savescum that is, act 3 atm) and I wouldn't risk entering any fight with a spellcaster that has CC spells without it :). Even fetid caress can screw you up real bad.

Edited by MadDemiurg