What are you playing now?

I'm still playing Invisible Inc.  I've reached what is supposedly the "final mission" as before the last mission I did I was told to choose carefully as this would be my last chance to get gear before the final showdown.  Of course, there is the very real possibility that there's a swerve heading my way.  I also just finished another playthrough of Metro Last Light (really great shooter) and I'm playing Spec Ops: The Line (really mediocre cover shooter).

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Spec Ops: The Line is one of the few pure shooters I've ever finished.  I agree that is is a mediocre cover shooter, but the story and the setting were worth going through.  Try and stick it out.

I must be really unlucky, none of the 10+ sidequests I've done so far in TW3 have been anything special.

TW3 is fairly impressive, but I'll put CDPR below Reality Pump Ubisoft  BioWare Bethseda until they show me what they can do with a unique setting & characters.

I'm not really sure what you'd consider "anything special", then.  What more do you want from sidequests than what W3 offers?

The companies you mention (Ubisoft, BioWare, Bethesda) don't do any more with their sidequests than what's in the Witcher 3.  In fact, they often do much less.  Straight forward "talk to person to get quest -- kill bad guys who stole ring -- return to quest giver" routine, with very little actual story behind each.  DA:I was littered with quests where you literally click on a person with a bubble over their head, they give you a short description of what they need and how they lost it, and you go fetch it, which consists of maybe fighting a group of bandits, picking up the item, then bringing it back for reward.

IMO, it's the extra detail, extra bit of story/lore that have impressed me.  Obviously if you skin them down to their bare bones, all sidequests (all quests, even) are "fetch quests".  It's how they're presented, the detail they're given, that make them interesting.  So I'm really not sure how someone can play through the ones in the Witcher 3 and think they're not anything special compared to what we usually get from your typical RPG game.

Each sidequest feels almost like its own self-contained story attached to it.  Typically, you don't see that from other RPGs with regards to their sidequests nowadays.  Main quests, sure.  But sidequests, rarely.

Missions not connected to main story feel very much like a mix of AssCreed and Arkham City to me. What with the heavy use of cutscenes and "detective" mode.

What I really like about the game are the more unpredictable random encounters. Like talking to the idol of a god and being led to a fat sylvan. And nice pieces of environmental storytelling.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Spec Ops: The Line is one of the few pure shooters I've ever finished.  I agree that is is a mediocre cover shooter, but the story and the setting were worth going through.  Try and stick it out.

Yeah I enjoyed that game, I just found parts of the story confusing so I had to research it at the end 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I've played and finished Resident Evil Revelations 2.

It's a damn good game I must say. The interdependent mechanics of the protagonists are clever (tho I'm not sure how some of them are supposed to work in co-op without voice chat) and the whole game is very atmospheric. I got shivers every time I started sneaking with Natalia, despite the point of her is that she can sense every nearby enemy.

Raid mode is loads of fun too, at least for now.

So I'm in Novigrad and doing one of the main story quests (about the stolen treasure).  I felt like a complete jerk just sitting there listening as

Triss got her finger nails pulled out one by one

, so I kept telling myself it was for the greater good.  I needed the information, damn it!

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I finished Invisible Inc. over the long weekend.  I loved every minute of it and will almost certainly play it some more.  It's not a particularly long game, you can beat the campaign is some 3-5 hours if you don't get your team wiped and need to start over, but it has a lot of replayability with procedurally generated levels and loot and character and program unlocks.  I really like how there is nothing left to chance in the game, beyond, obviously, the procedurally generated nature of the levels and gear.  There is no hit percentage, evasion percentage, or anything like that.  Everything either works or doesn't work every time, depending on the circumstances.  If something doesn't go your way it's because you made a mistake, not because of a roll of the dice.  That final mission was freakin' tense; so much heavy security.  Time to try playing on Ironman Difficulty (no rewinds).

• Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Triss is managing to look younger with each new game.  She looked rather old (not old, old.  Just kind of nearing middle age) in TW1.  In TW2 she looked younger, and in TW3 she could pass for early 20s.

One thing that I'm not liking.  There's no marker on the map for where some of these characters are.  Triss, for example, told me to visit her some other time (after finishing a quest with her), but there's no indication on the map where she is.  The only time her place becomes visible is when I got a quest from her and the yellow quest arrow directed me right to her.

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Damn, finished Triss' quest already before tackling another quest.  I came across an item in that other quest that I need her for, but she's no longer available.

Took a break from The Witcher 3. Playing Wolfenstein: The Old Blood now. Feels and plays great for a standalone expansion that costs only 20 bucks.

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

Yennefer is such a bitch.  Why Geralt would ever choose her over Triss is beyond me.

I did end up romancing both of them, though.  I am a guy, after all.

I saw that Serpent in the Staglands has a demo, so I'm giving that a shot.  I don't know what to think yet.  I'm not a fan of the pixelated look; to be honest, I think it looks kinda crappy, but I can get over that.  I don't know how long the demo is, but hopefully I'll have enough of a taste to decide whether I want to play the full game or not by the time the demo ends.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

I saw that Serpent in the Staglands has a demo, so I'm giving that a shot.  I don't know what to think yet.  I'm not a fan of the pixelated look; to be honest, I think it looks kinda crappy, but I can get over that.  I don't know how long the demo is, but hopefully I'll have enough of a taste to decide whether I want to play the full game or not by the time the demo ends.

Keyrock remember that good graphics shouldn't be a reason to buy a game, the gameplay should be more relevant  :yes:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Speaking of graphics.. just before The Witcher 3 was released I started playing Deus Ex: Human Revolution. I was thinking at the time, "Hey, for being kinda old this game looks pretty nice".

I tried it again today.. "How could they even release such an ugly atrocity?!". Weird how perceptions change.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Playing the adventure game Subject 13 (which I backed on Kickstarter). It does some interesting new stuff, like the 3D look around at objects and scenes, as well as interaction with the 3D scene. And you can tell it was not written in English first, as it has some very bad grammar translations. Some even as bad as SOMEONE SET US UP THE BOMB bad, but that's OK. I kind of find it amusing.

Edited by Jaesun
  • Like 1

Fallout 2 with the restoration mod. I don't remember there being a residential area in the Den. Must be the mod added that.

• Like 2

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

I finished up Spec Ops: The Line.  The game is notable for making you feel terrible about the stuff you are doing.  It likes to throw around that you chose to commit the atrocities you commit, but in reality you never really have any real choice in the matter in the game.  Still, it's a heck of a lot more interesting than the standard military shooter 'Murica **** Yeah *brofist* fare, it's just too bad it's packaged into such a dreadfully plain, paint by numbers cover shooter.  About the only thing interesting about the gameplay is the few times you fight during a sandstorm where both you and the enemies have to deal with extremely low visibility.

I also played through the entirety of the Serpent in the Staglands demo, at least I think that's the entirety of it (I reach the edge of the screen in all directions and cannot proceed).  I have to admit the pixelated art style grew on me...  a bit.  I was initially put off by it since you start in an indoor area and I found the pixel art of the inside of the building to be, quite honestly, not very good.  The character models are pretty mediocre too.  I suppose there's only so much you can do with however many pixels make up each character, but still.  Once I got outdoors, I found the game much more attractive.  I'm still not impressed by creature designs, but I found the flora pretty interesting.  Not as alien looking as, say, Morrowind, but completely familiar either.  As for the gameplay, it seemed pretty standard.  I will say that I found the story pretty interesting, the minuscule sliver of it I got to experience, anyway.  I'm somewhat interested in playing some more of the game.  Not enough to pay full price, mind you, but I could see myself potentially getting it on sale sometime in the future.

Oddly enough, I really want to play Raven's Cry.  Don't get me wrong, that game is crappy, but I really enjoyed playing it a few months ago, even with the myriad of issues it had (not to mention the fact that it was incomplete), but hitting quest breaking and borderline showstopper bugs halted my playthrough.  They put out a couple of patches and supposedly fixed some of the issues, but not all of them, and the last patch happened a couple months ago and it's uncertain whether the company even still exists and whether there will be any more patches.  I suppose there's always the chance the community comes through and patches and completes the game themselves, like with Gothic 3, though that may take years (assuming it ever happens).  I hope somebody fixes it up eventually, because despite how jenky the game is, I really appreciated being able to play a pirate game where you play as an actual pirate, not the romanticized version of a pirate we usually get in games and Hollywood (you play a murdering, cheating  ***hole in the game, you know, like a real pirate).

• Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸