Full Making of Documentary is Now Live!

When will it be on GoG?

Still no sign of the documentary there...

Watch it on eternity.obsidian.net.

That works only for backers not for those who bought versions of the game that included it from steam, gog or origin

When will it be on GoG?

That works only for backers not for those who bought versions of the game that included it from steam, gog or origin

Only backers have access to it right now, so that's perfectly acceptable.

I am giving jaydee.2k the benefit of the doubt that he/she read the original post, and responding accordingly.

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

Very nice seeing this.. what a jouney it was ,).. only thing I am still curious is how the studio operates post release, fixing bugs etc. and how the pipeline looks between community interactions on the forum, bug reports here (Save bloat bug, or when a giant quest line is broken by certain user actions) etc. and how patch creation works in this pipeline.

Mentioning this because I am sure it is not everday your players dig into savefiles, and disassemble them completely only to find an issue that QA could literally never have found due to how it manifests. Ie, not a crash, but infinitely slowing down of load times (now fixed, but would still be curious how these, and other bugs get assigned, analyzed etc.)

Anyhow, thank you for this footage, even though we had to .. "rip" the movie from Vimeo's fangs to get proper 1080p HD encodes viewable on a media stations ;P

And as you said in the video, it's the beginning of something.

When will it be on GoG?

Only backers have access to it right now, so that's perfectly acceptable.

I am giving jaydee.2k the benefit of the doubt that he/she read the original post, and responding accordingly.

He only asked when it would be availabe, in my understanding? A perfectly fine question, in my opinion. :) I am also waiting for the downloadable version.

I watched it on eternity.obsidian.net since it isn't up on GOG yet.

Very cool - I loved the lobby music recording!  I hadn't realized that track was made with random folks pulled from the development team.

I hope future installments in the series can be made without burning the dev team out by working them 16 hour days!  Now that Obsidian has created its own IP, and isn't beholden to publishers insisting on mass market appeal, hopefully they will find a good balance of delivering more top notch RPGs like PoE while still letting people go home sometimes :D.

Hey, everyone. We are currently working on getting the doc placed on Steam and GOG. We hope to have it live sometime this week. Once we do push the documentary to those platforms, we will send out a small backer update.

Thanks for your patience.

• Like 4

Hey, everyone. We are currently working on getting the doc placed on Steam and GOG. We hope to have it live sometime this week. Once we do push the documentary to those platforms, we will send out a small backer update.

Is there any chance, for there will be subtitles then?

Is there any chance, for there will be subtitles then?

Not currently. We can ask the documentary crew what the cost and logistics would be, though.

• Like 2

If any of the folks worked on the games like Hector for example still read these forums, I was wondering will you be able to go back to your original ideas for the expansions or Pillars two? I hope you can improve the transitions from load screens. You guys have entirely way too many load screens. Especially since there's not a lot of physics and fx going on vs a lot of other games out there. Maybe you can create a procedurally generated environment or caves. Although I do appreciate all the work that went into them. Also I would like to see more levels using the technique like you did with the foreground and background fading out giving the illusion of background being far below or away, and would like to have some fights on a boat in the sea swaying back and forth. A whole map on a giant moving boat, or have waves splashing over the edge of the ship would be great. Finally, can we have a donkey that follows us and holds our gear instead of the bottomless pit that it is now. I prefer the option of having infinite slots vs having to go back and forth every 7 minutes to the store, but just not on my characters. I've watched this about 5 times now. I wonder how much was cut out? I'm sure there was a lot!

Obsidian, this was really, really cool.  Thanks for showing us how all of this game production stuff works.  Blood, sweat, tears and Feargus.  I'm glad you "get it" with RPGs, and I'm proud to have been a small part of this thing (the Forgiveness pistol!).  As a 40-year old gamer, the BG/NWN games were huge escapes for me years ago, and my pledge was a dreamcast.  I figured if PE came close to capturing that magic again, it was worth it.

You captured lighting in a bottle.

Just copying and pasting this post as this thread seems appropriate as well.  :)

------

I just finished watching the "Making Of" documentary and I have to say, outstanding work all around!

The thing that stuck out the most to me was, by far, the people.  The story of adversity, of being down and almost out.  Seeing so much work being put into what could have been a last-ditch effort to save everything - to roll those 20-sided die with a "wing and a prayer" and have the community rise up and say, 'YES!!!'

It was gratifying to see at the end, the reactions to the well-deserved review scores.  To see that pride in your work, the vindication of your dreams and hard work - to see good things happen to good people. 

I think the best thing I can say about the documentary is that I finished watching it with a genuine smile on my face.

Kudos, Obsidian!  Enjoy the success - you've earned this one.

So finally got some time to sit down and watch the entirety of the documentary. Just wanted to say the production people did a helluva job. Kudos to them. Also thanks to Obsidian for being such a class organization from the inception of the Kickstarter to the very end, with this nice capstone.

Glad I got to be part of the ride and ultimately glad I got to play and enjoy a well-crafted RPG that was clearly a labor of love.

Sláinte.

Just watched the documentary this morning, and once again, I would like to express my gratitude for fulfilling all of my expectations, which I had, when I was pledging for this game :) I really love to play the game, even though I do not have much time, so I am still at Act II :'(

What surprised me the most in the documentary, is how you were recording the music for the Trailer :)

My hope goes for the future of Pillars are, that you will go again for a Kickstarter/Paypal pledges, because IMHO PoE II without lots of the optional content made in cooperation with backers would be a hollowborn PoE (Yes I am reading every backers NPC story :p).

And as much as I love PoE, I can't wait to see your first RPG game in collaboration with Paizo. I've read on Codex, that Josh was saying that he would like to make a turn-based game, so I really hope this was a small spolier for PF cRPG :p

Keep up the good work and keep the quality games comming!!!

Edited by Mamoulian War

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Forgot about the documentary until I saw a post on Steam, then realized the recent 1.5 GB down was it!

Of all the things I feel about the documentary I just want to point out one particular scene that really stood out for me:

At the 11 minute mark, when Josh Sawyer was talking about backers calling Obsidian out for "just making stuff up" and his expression when he tugged at his T-shirt collar and went "Neyeeaah!" was so  :w00t:

... I really feel like taking a snapshot of Josh at that moment and putting it on my mobile for easy viewing to chuckle over whenever I need something to cheer me up ...

And there's one thing I want to ask the other backers who got the documentary:

What is the name of the music track that was playing as the credits for the documentary roll (starting 1:23:03)?

I've been sifting through the soundtrack several times to pin that track down without success.

... and it took me a week of nothing but eating, gaming and sleeping to complete :p

Forgot about the documentary until I saw a post on Steam, then realized the recent 1.5 GB down was it!

Of all the things I feel about the documentary I just want to point out one particular scene that really stood out for me:

At the 11 minute mark, when Josh Sawyer was talking about backers calling Obsidian out for "just making stuff up" and his expression when he tugged at his T-shirt collar and went "Neyeeaah!" was so  :w00t:

... I really feel like taking a snapshot of Josh at that moment and putting it on my mobile for easy viewing to chuckle over whenever I need something to cheer me up ...

Nah, man, it's all about the Mad Max face he makes when talking about trailer wank.

:devil: They did make things up as they went along and as backers asked for things.  I think we did surprise them, that they may have known there was a market out there but not how hungry we were.  Many of those backers were in their teens and early twenties when they played the old IE games.  In Sept of 2012 they were wage earners and so were able to contribute.

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

That was a rather enjoyable video, thank you Obsidian.

I'm glad you guys are also happy with the end result, and hope it provides you with enough support to further fuel your creativity.

The music part is where I was surprised the most, the conditions and the budget it had, and it was easily one of the favourite parts of the game.

Good times!

• 1 month later...

Watched the doc at work today (retail is very slow on Labor Day weekend...) and really enjoyed it.  I love seeing the behind the scenes.  The length was just right - any longer and it's just too much of a committment.  I tried to watch Double Fine's documentary about making Broken Age and it was really interesting but wayyyy too much of a time suck.  I hope more devs start to film their process - it really gives a great insight to the people behind the game and it makes me enoy the game more since I can really appreciate the amount of work and love that went in to it.

• 3 weeks later...