Path finding is still a major problem...

If my tank get's stuck behind the party in some narrow corridor, the party AI is incapable of letting the tank through by moving around. That is horrible. Why developers chose to build this game on top of the old Infinity engine beats me, let alone the choice of 2.5D graphics... 

If my tank get's stuck behind the party in some narrow corridor, the party AI is incapable of letting the tank through by moving around. That is horrible. Why developers chose to build this game on top of the old Infinity engine beats me, let alone the choice of 2.5D graphics... 

They didn't build it 'on top of the old infinity engine'. It's built using Unity. The crappy pathfinding has nothing to do with the Infinity Engine.

As for the 2.5D graphics, that was one of the major points of doing the game.

I actually have had little problem with path finding but maybe I am more used to crappy path finding in other games I have played.  :D  I do move my party members around to try and get them in the best position.  I use stealth a lot and can usually get an idea of how many  and where the enemies are before initiating an attack in dungeons.

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg

They didn't build it 'on top of the old infinity engine'. It's built using Unity. The crappy pathfinding has nothing to do with the Infinity Engine.

As for the 2.5D graphics, that was one of the major points of doing the game.

Wasn't Unity based off Infinity engine? One way or another, both engines have path finding problems.

Wasn't Unity based off Infinity engine?

No, the Unity engine is a general purpose third party game engine that Obsidian picked to use as their basis for the engine that powers PoE. In the process they modified and extended it (as all game companies that uses a third party engine does) to make it suitable for implementing a IE like game.

Also, the pathfinding in the late IE games is actually much, much better than the pathfinding in PoE. So there's that.

And also, a lot of the issues with pathfinding in PoE doesn't seem to stem from the pathfinding itself, but the world geography. It's not always clear where you can stand or walk at all, and sometimes there's places that are clearly bigger than the selection circle of the characters, but where you can't stand. I cannot count the number of times my characters have started to run the long way around something they could clearly just take a walk over to, because of some imaginary invisible barrier.

• Like 1

t50aJUd.jpg