Gaming: Then vs. Now

Games haven't changed in terms of quantity. FarCry 4 for instance has a base game that is pretty big, but it has also dlcs, same goes for AC 4, Dying Light, Dark Souls series, Bloodborne etc etc. Actually, most games nowadays tend to jump on the sandbox bandwagon because they want to offer the players more replay value and such. What I miss most of the time is the atmosphere the games had back then, even with all the technical limitations of their time. Haven't seen any games like Planescape: Torment, Shadowman, Legacy of Kane, Jedi Knight or Blood 1 & 2 lately. It's really sad because when a developer tries to create something like Shadows of the Damned, Beyond Good and Evil or Psychonauts they are so heavily punished when it comes to sales that they lose all hope of going after the same direction twice. There are indie games that try to bring stuff back from the dead but you rarely see a AAA game developer go after something that is unique, instead they prefer to play it safe. 

Conclusion: You still have your Burger, Fries and your Drink for the same price, it's just that they don't taste that good anymore. You can buy a sallad instead but that will not fill your belly!   

Edited by Cat Food
  • Like 1

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

Try putting them in your mouth and not in your pockets?

Edit: No in all seriousness I really do know what you mean, middle age spread is a thing, and i'm sadly resigned to the fact that my six pack is just not viable anymore. Crunches, reverse crunches and all of the other exercises just don't work like they used to.

Edited by Nonek
  • Like 3

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I really hate DLC that takes place in the main game in RPGs. It always has a tacked on feeling, the content would have been better served being part of the main package and being better integrated. DLCs that take place as mini-expansions as a separate story are good though.

I also strongly dislike promotional items and powers that just inexplicably show up in your characters inventory at the start of the adventure. If you are going to have that stuff have it show up in the story somewhere. In BG2 at least it was sold at the store in Athkatla.

Come on, you can have your extra content but you still need to do good game design people.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Haw haw, the fries and coke are "expansion packs".

Expanding your girth, amirite? :biggrin: :biggrin:

Edited by Amentep
  • Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Say what you will, I'd rather chase a pointer than to run around pointlessly because of a vague quest description.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

There was an RPG (that shall remain nameless) in the early 1990s that had a vague description of where to go next.  So vague that I logged a couple of hours in the game doing nothing but trying to find the quest before giving up  By 1993, I was on USENET and remembered I'd never beat the game and found online where I was supposed to go.  Turns out I was walking on the wrong side of a narrow track of land.  I needed to walk up the OTHER side to trigger the next part of the quest.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I think it's accurate for certain games

I agree, specifically for triple A games with big publishers behind them who see us as walking wallets anyway :D. Most games are still shiped complete.

"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, the man who never reads lives one."

This "Gaming then vs now" is so old by now, we should make a "'gaming then vs now' then vs now" image.

PS: As far as I am aware, only very few games are being sold with "the meat" of it coming in form of DLCs. Not even Rome 2 would fullfill this analogy, because despite most of that games DLCs being lolzy, the main game still had been very much feature-complete.

• Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

This "Gaming then vs now" is so old by now, we should make a "'gaming then vs now' then vs now" image.

"and now, and now, and now..." :D

however one thing has clearly changed, the step to more digital distribution. As much as i like steam deals, i´m sick of needing, steam, origin, uplay, bnet etc. if i can, i will still buy a physical copy, that at last will give me the chance to play a game (crack/mod etc) even when the service is down. I´m buying a product and not a service as far as i´m concerned.

"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, the man who never reads lives one."

Say what you will, I'd rather chase a pointer than to run around pointlessly because of a vague quest description.

http://youtu.be/ig_Ikc0EWCM

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

• 1 month later...

1) That's a really, really, reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeallly bad analogy.

2) .... yeah, I thought I had something beyond what a horrible analogy that is, but I don't. It's just bad.

Really? Because it is exactly what came to my mind when I saw that MKX has a few characters + price tags. (I don't pay much attention to that stuff anymore.) That said, when I bought MK3 for PS1, you got all of them when you bought the game. If I was still shopping regularly in that genre today I would tell Ed Boon exactly where he could shove his game, in exacting detail. If I buy another fighting game it will likely be Tekken. I liked that better than MK anyway.

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. - Julius Caesar

:facepalm: #define TRUE (!FALSE)

I ran across an article where the above statement was found in a release tarball. LOL! Who does something like this? Predictably, this oddity was found when the article's author tried to build said tarball and the compiler promptly went into cardiac arrest. If you're not a developer, imagine telling someone the literal meaning of up is "not down". Such nonsense makes computers, and developers... angry.