You definitely could do with a healer. I recommend an Island Aumaua priest of Magran buffer/gunner with quick switch.  Stats something like: 21 13 12 8 16 8

Edited by pacman
  • Like 1

This is v3 of my hireling rogue build.

Male

Godlike>Death Godlike>Elf

Rogue
Aedyr

Mercenary

M: 15

C: 10

D: 14

P: 15

I: 13

R: 11

Abilities and Talents

01 - Sneak Attack, Crippling Stike

02 - Marksman

03 - Dirty Fighting

04 - Vicious Fighting

05 - Deep Wounds

06 - Penetrating Shot

07 - Coordinated Positioning (or Escape)

08 - Envenomed Strike

09 - Withering Strike

10 - Shadowing Beyond

11 - Deathblows

12 - Grab bag (Shot on the Run or Fast Runner)

Skills (Stealth, Athletics, Lore, Mechanics)

01 - 1, 1, 1, 2

02 - 1, 3, 1, 4

03 - 2, 3, 2, 5

04 - 2, 4, 2, 6

05 - 2, 4, 2, 7

06 - 2, 4, 2, 8

07 - 3, 4, 2, 8

08 - 3, 4, 2, 9

09 - 3, 4, 2, 10

10 - 3, 5, 2, 10

11 - 3, 5, 2, 11

12 - 4, 5, 3, 11

Weapons Set 1: Arbalest

Weapons Set 2: Mace/Stiletto

Recommended Fighter build can be found here

• Like 1

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

Those are base stats. I generally don't worry too much about kitting out my hirelings, so I don't have solid advice on what to do with him as a full-time party member. I will say that he's in my party for most of Act I and any time I head into Od Nua. With that said, you could probably parade him around naked and not have a problem. Just keep him out of trouble and let him snipe away.

More advice: Don't worry too much about boosting Dexterity. My v2 rogue had Weapon Focus: Peasant and a hunting bow. Unfortunately his rate of fire actually ended up being too fast which is why I switched to something slower. Thus far, I'm pretty happy with the arbalest. If you do opt to to boost Dex or go with a faster weapon, you may want to drop his Int down a bit. Otherwise you end up leaving DoT on the table with Deep Wounds. 

If I were to boost anything, it would be Might and/or Perception. There's a +3 Might belt that you'll get at the beginning of Act III. There's a +2 Perception amulet available toward the end of Act II.

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

Godlike get +1 to DEX and INT. Aedyr background is +1 Resolve. 15 more points to spend.

5 for Might

3 for Dexterity

5 for Perception

2 for Intelligence

---------------------

FYI: Intelligence modifiers don't apply to phrase durations. AoE bonus will only effect chant aura radius and any Invocations that have AoE modifiers. Duration will only apply to Invocations as well. If you plan on using Invocations mostly for summons, then don't bother boosting INT.

Regarding Chanters and invocations, I just happen to have written something up this morning that may be worth your time

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/79210-chanter-invocation-feedback/?do=findComment&comment=1687043

• Like 1

The rogue build I posted above has 5 Athletics and 11 Mechanics. 5 Athletics will give you -50% general fatigue rate and -90% combat fatigue rate (max reduction. 6 Athletics won't reduce this any further). There are statically placed boots that will give you +2.

When it comes to Athletics, you're only as strong as your weakest party member. If one guy has 0 Athletics, then he's going to constantly have a fatigue penalty applied. If you're going to frequently rest to keep him fresh, then 5 other party members with 10 Athletics probably isn't going to help much.

Edit: it occurs to me that you might be asking if it's possible using Fighter as the base class. No, it probably isn't. Very difficult to get any skill that doesn't come with a class bonus much past 8 or 9 (at least not without sacrificing all other skills)

Edited by Achilles
  • Like 1

Are you keeping Sagani, or doing complete custom party from scratch?

There's a unique hunting bow called Persistence. She is a beast with that bow. Wouldn't be too hard to tweak a custom build around that.

I know for at least Act I, I'm keeping Eder in just for quest purposes. I'm swapping in pre-mades for their quests (except, like, Durance whose quest flags are completely random).

Eder (Major: Bruiser, Minor: CC)

Abilities and Talents

01 - Constant Recovery, Knockdown

02 - Rapid Recovery

03 - Confident Aim

04 - Weapon Focus: Ruffian

05 - Weapon Specialization: Ruffian

06 - Vulnerable Attack

07 - Into the Fray

08 - Weapon Mastery: Ruffian

09 - Clear Out

10 - Bloody Slaughter

11 - Unbending

12 - Bonus Knockdown

Skills (Stealth, Athletics, Lore, Survival)

01 - 0, 2, 1, 2

02 - 0, 5, 1, 2

03 - 2, 5, 2, 3

04 - 3, 6, 2, 3

05 - 4, 6, 2, 4

06 - 5, 6, 2, 4

07 - 5, 7, 3, 4

08 - 6, 7, 3, 4

09 - 6, 7, 4, 5

10 - 6, 8, 4, 5

11 - 6, 8, 4, 6

12 - 6, 8, 4, 6

Weapons Set 1: Sabre (Resolution) or Stiletto (Oidhreacht) or Club (Torch). Swap for DR. Optional: Add Shield for boss fights

Weapons Set 2: Pistol until Blunderbuss, then Blunderbuss (Lead Spitter)

Equipment: Saints War Armor, Cloak of the Eothisian Priest, Ring of Deflection, Boots of Stability, Girdle of Maegfolc Might

I play Eder very aggressively. 1H to keep Accuracy high. Favorite combo is Into the Fray (Pull/Daze), Knockdown (Prone = -10 Deflection), switch to Blunderbuss, switch back to melee to finish off target if Blunderbuss doesn't kill them. Send him after squishy things like mages, priests, or ciphers. Vulnerable attack will give you some leeway, but try to be sensitive to enemy DR and use appropriate weapons.

Sagani (Major: Ranged DoT, Minor: Off-tanking)

Abilities and Talents

01 - Animal Companion, Wounding Shot

02 - Weapon Focus: Peasant

03 - Marked Prey

04 - Faithful Companion

05 - Stalker's Link

06 - Penetration Shot

07 - Predator's Sense

08 - Marksman

09 - Takedown

10 - Brutal Takedown

11 - Stunning Shots

12 - Resilient Companion

Skills (Stealth, Athletics, Survival)

01 - 2, 0, 3

02 - 4, 0, 5

03 - 4, 0, 6

04 - 4, 0, 8

05 - 4, 0, 9

06 - 5, 2, 9

07 - 5, 3, 9

08 - 6, 4, 9

09 - 6, 4, 10

10 - 6, 5, 10

11 - 7, 5, 10

12 - 8, 5, 10

Weapons Set 1: Hunting Bow (Persistence)

Weapons Set 2: Doesn't matter

Equipment: Blaidh Golan, Torc of Defiance, Archer's Gloves (if you can find them)

If you're looking for ranged damage, this is it. Predator's Sense give Itumaak a damage bonus against anything suffering from DoT. Persistence has a property which applies DoT. With Sagani's INT modifier, that DoT is constant (timer gets close to zero about a split second before the target becomes the lucky recipient of another arrow). Both she and Itumaak will hit Interrupts fairly consistently. I've never seen Itumaak fail to hit the Takedown. Send him after anything trying to flank and have Sagani start putting arrows into it.

• Like 1

I'm planning on grabbing that triple crown as well.  The party I'm planning is a custom one.

Paladin Shieldbearer as my main.  Yeah I know boring meatbag but it works, and no I won't be taking might 2. His role is to cast Shielding flames to beef up his fellows deflection and will be running a zealous endurance for that extra DR.  This frees up some spells and actions for the priest who can skip casting Circle of Protection and DR buff at early levels (which are the hardest IMO). I'm still deciding if I'll make him a coastal Aumaua for that extra knockdown and stun resistance or a Pale Elf for extra Fire/Ice DR (Great for tanking Shades)

Barbarian Battlerager, Moon Godlike.

Who needs deflection? The idea is to stack DR with the Zelous Endurance, DR from crucible knights,Thick Skin ability and put him in at least exceptional plate and the blunting belt.  Max might and max dex and dual wield sabers.  The alternative is to make him a Fire Godlike for that extra DR when under 50% endurance but I think the healing benefits the party more.

Pale Elf Druid offensive tank.  Heavy armour and a shield.  High Might, Int and Resolve as to not get interrupted while she casts her spells.

Ranged Cipher.  I'm still trying to decide if I'll go wood elf or coastal aumaua?  +5 accuracy for spells and guns is very nice but also an extra arquebus.  As I'll have to spend my talents on weapon focus, Marksman,Gunner and Quic Switch, skippin arms bearer might be worth it.

Ranged Priest of Maghran.  I'll think I'll have him a wood elf with an Arquebus. Ranged support, heals and buffs.

Pale Elf Wizard. Thinking of making a spellsword hybrid with a Quick Switch talent so I can easily switch between nukes and self buffs.  

All in all I feel like I'm playing it rather safe with 2 Shield tanks  and an off tank dmg dealer and 4 casters who can provide CC, Buffs, Heals and Damage.

No.

In general, don't pick situational talents, pick talents that improve your ability across all circumstances. (Fast Runner and Deep Pockets are exceptions, because they're 'situationally' very useful for many solo characters.) 

In many cases it will be about establishing the right equilibrium where you're hitting them faster, more accurately, and harder than they hit you. You have potions and scrolls for last-minute health/endurance healing if things aren't going well, but you shouldn't waste your talent slots on something that's only going to help you (and not help you very much) in such cases. 

There are too many better talents to take. For anyone going melee you'd want a Fighting Style (2h, 1h, etc) or possibly Wpn/Shield (even for a melee wizard), and sometimes, a Weapon Style (Peasant, etc). For many, it's also important to take Penetrating Shot or Vulnerable Attack to get past DR. Then for ranged characters Marksman and/or Gunner is often a no-brainer. Factor in character-specific abilities, and you've already got all your choices filled up to high levels.

Edit: Apologies. Being an idiot, I thought this was the TCS solo. Well, that changes things a bit - but I'd still say they're not worthwhile. Again, potions, spells, scrolls, abilities mean there are ample ways to heal endurance. As for health, it shouldn't be too often that you get into a situation where you absolutely need 50, 70 extra health on one guy. I think my comments about 'general talents' still apply to some extent in a party, though I've never played a 6-party game, so take that as you will.

Are Field Triage and Wound Binding worth it?

"Worth it"? No. Helpful? Yes.

I wouldn't purposely add them to a build, but I will say that they are useful when Kana and Pallegina have them. Example: you have an encounter. Most of your team comes through unscathed, but Aloth took a bad hit. You could rest (not knowing if you'll need those camping supplies later)...or Kana goes over, does a little thing, and Aloth is good to go for next round. 

PoTD is 2, just like Hard. It depends on how much you need to rest normally - if you're going back to the inn a lot, then I suppose.

Are Field Triage and Wound Binding worth it?

Not really.  As you gain more health and endurance then those 30-40 points will always count for less and only delay the inevitable; resting.  At lower levels you'll mostly be resting to regain your per rest spells and abilities and field triage and wound binding will be very situational.  If it would scale with level it might be worth taking but I'd rather spend my abilities on something that benefits my characters from not getting hurt in the first place.

Any suggestions for good Battlemage hireling build for Triple Crown post 1.05 for offtanking with self buffs also focusing on debuffing and one or two schools of magic ( fire for aoe and corrode for drain for example), frontline will be fighter maintank and chanter+battlemage offtanks? what attributes to go , thinking to dump Con to 3  and max resolve ,  not sure about the rest especially dexterity and perception , might and int i guess should be very high or maxed too. Fire GodLike race ,