It never did. Nothing changed.

Bull. S**t. I can't say whether it still works in 1.05 or not, or if it did in 1.04. But saying that it never did is objectively wrong. It absolutely used to work. When and if it was changed, I have no idea, but it used to work.

• Like 1

t50aJUd.jpg

It never did. Nothing changed.

Bull. S**t. I can't say whether it still works in 1.05 or not, or if it did in 1.04. But saying that it never did is objectively wrong. It absolutely used to work. When and if it was changed, I have no idea, but it used to work.

I've seen it work on magic at least in 1.03.

• Like 1

Opposite problem: 80% of the racials are too weak.

Could we STOP this? It's a SINGLE PLAYER GAME folks, you want it harder? Self-impose penalties on yourself then if you want a challenge stop trying to make everything balanced!

You're thinking about the wrong kind of balance. Multiplayer games require competitive balance, so that they have a larger and more interesting metagame. Single player games, on the other hand, need internal balance, so that players have relative freedom in taking the options that appeal to them without suffering consequences they weren't informed of. The difference between easy mode and hard mode shouldn't be they player's choice between several options that are presented as equally viable.

I see this over and over again, "stop trying to balance everything, it's not multiplayer!" It's not about multiplayer, it's about new players. It's about not requiring in-depth knowledge to know which options are objectively better choices for a huge majority of situations. Unbalanced choices aren't my thing, but there's nothing deeply problematic about them; the problem lies in unbalanced choices that advertise themselves as balanced.

And honestly, if you don't care about balance, why does it matter to you that other people do?

Edited by gkathellar
  • Like 1

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

It's the same thing and it's all relative.  If you have 5 races and one race's abilities are a lot stronger than the other 4, some might say that the stronger ability is "too strong", while others might say that the other 4 abilities are "too weak". In the end, it's all relative.

• Like 1

It's the same thing and it's all relative.  If you have 5 races and one race's abilities are a lot stronger than the other 4, some might say that the stronger ability is "too strong", while others might say that the other 4 abilities are "too weak". In the end, it's all relative.

I agree. It's absolutely a matter of opinion. I would rather have more stuff (and therefore more complexity and more engagement with the mechanics) than less stuff. That's because I tend to believe that "stuff = interesting." That's a personal taste, and I apologize if my earlier post came across as an attempt to state objective fact.

• Like 1

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

I agree. It's absolutely a matter of opinion. I would rather have more stuff (and therefore more complexity and more engagement with the mechanics) than less stuff. That's because I tend to believe that "stuff = interesting." That's a personal taste, and I apologize if my earlier post came across as an attempt to state objective fact.

No prob.

As I've said before, I don't like these racial abilities that only trigger when you reach 50% END.  The way I look at it, I don't want to ever get that hurt in battle, so having abilities that only trigger when you're really hurt seem like desperate situation abilities.  The only END triggered ability I do like is the Moon GL's because it's meant to heal you, which seems to me like good synergy.  (Though even the Moon GL's ability seems rather OP, and probably should be for the injured Moon GL himself and not those near him.)

I wish that the low END racial abilities were replaced with ones that were more constantly on.  I personally like the Moon Elf, Island Aumua, and Boreal Dwarf abilities for this reason.  Technically, the Pale Elf's ability is always on, but it seems rather bland.  Ditto for the Coastal Aumaua and Mountain (?) Dwarf abilities.  I wish that the Mountain Dwarf's racial ability was similar to the Boreal Dwarf's, just for 2 different monster groups.

BTW, the Boreal Dwarven ability looks like 2 slayer Talents, while the Coastal Aumaua ability is a single Talent.  Maybe the simpler solution here is to just let all characters pick one or two non-class Talents (i.e. Offensive, Defensive, or Utility) at creation. 

And then instead of trying to come up with fancy racial abilities, give each race an additional attribute point. 

Dwarfs:  CON

Aumaua: MGT

Orlan: PER

Elves: DEX

Humans: RES

Godlikes: INT  (or get really cute, and give the bonus based on the body form your GL chooses)

Anyways, just some wild thoughts for forum fodder....

Things happening = interesting. Things not happening = uninteresting. Racials that are largely circumstantial or only triggers once in a blue moon should be trashed.

I don't care whether racial abilities are "interesting".  I care that they're useful.  The game itself generates the "interesting" situations, not racial abilities.