Saying that, for example, that "hitting, or not, is more important than more powerful or faster attacks" is directly proportional to how much faster you hit, or how much more powerful your hits become when they do hit.

But with spell casters the point at which attacking faster/ having more powerful attacks is more valuable than hitting more often is fairly skewed. Casters have limited spells / rest, so faster casting isn't always that big of a deal. They also have powerful debuffs that are important to apply to targets. Once their powerful debuffs land, attack speed/damage output is much less important.

There's certainly a point where a damage or speed increase can be more valuable but it's unlikely they'd put that much on a single racial. I expect it'd be too strong for non-casters if it was strong enough for a caster to consider over an accuracy buff.

I think it's a bit too strong. It's not even a fun ability, just "ok, so you're an elf, your dice rolls are automatically going to be 5% better than everyone else's."

On top of that, they get a dexterity bonus. It pretty much does not make sense to pick any other race for a non-melee character. Having said that, it's a single player game, so I don't care much. It's not game-breaking.

Edited by the streaker

I think it's a bit too strong. It's not even a fun ability, just "ok, so you're an elf, your dice rolls are automatically going to be 5% better than everyone else's."

On top of that, they get a dexterity bonus. It pretty much does not make sense to pick any other race for a non-melee character. Having said that, it's a single player game, so I don't care much. It's not game-breaking.

I like playing ranged elven characters, so it seems pretty fun to me.  What's fun is entirely relative.

I like playing ranged elven characters, so it seems pretty fun to me.  What's fun is entirely relative.

How could you possibly find a constant +5 accuracy bonus fun? If that bonus was gone, but everything else in the game took a 5 defense hit, literally nothing would change.

For me the Aumaua and Elf ones are decent but situational. Hearth Orlan one is nice as well. Moon Godlike is very good, especially for Monks and Barbarians.

So my party usuall consists of these races

Actually, Boreal Dwarf ability isn't bad either.  Those +25% damage to 2 different monster groups aren't bad at all.

How could you possibly find a constant +5 accuracy bonus fun? If that bonus was gone, but everything else in the game took a 5 defense hit, literally nothing would change.

You don't define what's fun for me. 

:blink:  OK well good for you, then. This thread is about the power of their racial ability, not your fun.

:blink:  OK well good for you, then. This thread is about the power of their racial ability, not your fun.

You're the one who brought the issue of whether the ability was "fun" into the thread, not me.

Some people are a bit too obssessed with nerfs and balance, IMO. If perfect balance is the goal, they might as well remove the racial bonuses altogether, and let it just be an aesthetic and RP choice.

While I don't exactly -oppose- to racial changes, I don't think wood elf's one is such a big deal (not to justify a thread of its own, at least), and there's life beyond powergaming. Besides, say that the bonus gets reduced to +2, for example. Hell, to +1. I doubt anyone would call that overpowered, but technically, it'd still probably be one of the powergamer choices, if you're going for maximum efficiency.

It's worth pointing out that the moongodlike have to make concessions for their powerful racial.

Well, if you're referring to helmets, most are meh, and overlap with other gear. To me, the worst thing about that restriction is the inability to hide those hideous heads of theirs.

It'd be awesome if they made the Human racial bonus function like the Heroic Inspiration perk in IWD2.

*throws smoke bombs in the thread and vanishes into the dark corners of the forums*

For me the Aumaua and Elf ones are decent but situational. Hearth Orlan one is nice as well. Moon Godlike is very good, especially for Monks and Barbarians.

So my party usuall consists of these races

I've tried Coastal Aumaua now and it's quite decent for tanks, especially PC Palas with high saves. It's pretty cool against Phantoms, since the 20 stun save get applied to your deflection AND fort def, so the phantom has to hit twice against very high saves to stun you. Against dragons its very good as well ofc.

Could we STOP this? It's a SINGLE PLAYER GAME folks, you want it harder? Self-impose penalties on yourself then if you want a challenge stop trying to make everything balanced! Go through nude with no points in Might or Constitution with a solo run on PotD with ToI, THERE have fun with your challenge. Jeez, stop asking for nerfs on a single player game. +5 Accuracy is not too strong, and is useless in a solo game since enemies will close the distance after the first volley. Only class it would benefit is a Ranger in that case and as it stands, Animal Companions are weak and squishy.

• Like 2

Could we STOP this? It's a SINGLE PLAYER GAME folks, you want it harder? Self-impose penalties on yourself then if you want a challenge stop trying to make everything balanced! Go through nude with no points in Might or Constitution with a solo run on PotD with ToI, THERE have fun with your challenge. Jeez, stop asking for nerfs on a single player game. +5 Accuracy is not too strong, and is useless in a solo game since enemies will close the distance after the first volley. Only class it would benefit is a Ranger in that case and as it stands, Animal Companions are weak and squishy.

Amen brother. Sadly this is the MMO-generation where everything needs to be the same or its simply too OP.

But what these weird folk dont realise is once you make everything balanced you also run the risk of making everything boring. 

Hey Odd Hermit if you think wood elf racial is too good just dont use. Or better yet play a fighter with 2 daggers in cloth armor on path of the damned, it should give you the challenge you seem to require. 

Also there will always be one thing that is better then the other. Must be frustrating for you Odd Hermit.... 

Not everybody is asking for nerfs here, just discovering which other races than the obvious moon godlike are worth playing. ;)

• Like 2

/\

This is how I see it as well.

Unless many different people can proof that something is a Bug, do not ask the Devs to nerf every thing that seems overpowered to you. It is a single player game and not a MMO, other players want to have fun playing as well. Other wise please use one or more of the tips Otakon17 mentioned.

Instead all of those who want to have the game balanced to their liking ... you could also gather more and more people here on the forums and else where and make a case to the Devs for a good easy Tool to make mods? Then people can make their game they way they want with either mods you made yourselves or made by other like minded players like yourselves. :)

Actually, it also helps spellcasters, since accuracy matters to them as well.  It can also help ranged rogues, too.  The Wood Elven bonus affects more than merely rangers.

• Like 1

Mad, I was making no comment regarding whether the Elven class benefit was too strong, etc.  I was only pointing out that that bonus affects more than just rangers.  No need to get your panties in a twist.

• Like 1

Actually, it also helps spellcasters, since accuracy matters to them as well.  It can also help ranged rogues, too.  The Wood Elven bonus affects more than merely rangers.

It appears marksman doesn't work on spells anymore as of 1.05 so it wouldn't surprise me if the wood elf bonus doesn't as well.

It appears marksman doesn't work on spells anymore as of 1.05 so it wouldn't surprise me if the wood elf bonus doesn't as well.

That's interesting, if true.  And would be nice to have confirmation one way or the other.  Thanks for the heads up.  Honestly though, i never considered taking Marksman for the sake of spellcasting.