Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Paladin (solo) vs adra dragon (PotD)

Paladin Solo Adra Dragon PotD Tank

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

eubatham

eubatham

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 70 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

You're hated for this class seems unhealthy.  Perhaps you should show your video with other classes fighting this class to prove your point better.

I didn't comment on the Paladin class, I commented on the video and that it's basically just about the scrolls than the class (ANY class). Feel free to share your point of view in the approriate thread, http://forums.obsidi...y-not-that-bad/, instead of going off topic. And please, try to refrain from making things up, just to out your frustrations. 

As for other classes, I'm quite sure I saw a fighter post a similar kill some time ago. I'll look for it later.

Edited by eubatham, 08 May 2015 - 02:30 PM.

Narla

Narla

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 64 posts

One of the main things those vids show and also the solo triple crowns is that the consumables in this game are incredibly powerful.

Voltron

Voltron

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 565 posts

The vid: https://www.youtube....eature=youtu.be

Disclaimer:

The vid is using console generated char, all items/talents are obtainable in the game. However some of the items (little savior to be exact) are not obtainable before defeating the dragon (although it might be possible to sneak into the treasury, has anyone tried that?). They are by no means necessary though, and only present since OP has taken the liberty to use superb armor/shield as well (which are definitely not obtainable without defeating the dragon). Stats/talents are not really optimized, cautious attack is a complete waste for instance since it does not stack with better wiz buffs (forgot about that). Stats are M 18 D 19 C 3 P 4 I 19 R 15 (standard glass cannon wizard). Talents are W&S, Superior deflection, Deep pockets, Bear's fortitude, Snake's reflexes and Cautious Attack. As I said CA is a waste and the only really indispensable talent is W&S, others you can skip with a bit of stat tweaking and go for stuff like veil/fast runner/caster talents.

In the vid the dragon got stuck between xaurips for a few sec,  but I freed him with maelstrom. I did the fight several times to ensure I can repeat it. It is actually possible to die if you attack the dragon upfront before you get your buffs up, so it's actually better to attack the minions first and buff, but I wanted to demonstrate a facetank approach. however, with second chance item you're guaranteed to survive and get all your buffs up and running (I had it, but didn't need it), and then it's very difficult for the dragon to touch you. It is possible to raise deflection further with stuff like mirror image.

As seen in the video, I had 30+ seconds on most buffs after the dragon died (I actually wanted to use smth else than scrolls but martial prowess was still active and I didn't have a backup dps weapon) and I had enough casts to rebuff it 1-2 times more.

The fight is much easier if you use hard CC though and doable without any scrolls in this case.

Probably i could've recorded a better vid, and optimize the char better but I don't want to spend more time on it.

Edit: I'm pretty sure I can do priest and fighter as well (and priest buffs last waaay more than 10 sec, but I'm not sure I want to spend time on it)

Hah nice! See OP- Paladin not only one. Wizard not only tanked as good, but killed Adra faster. I bet someone will do it with Fighter.

Good work both of you! :) Shame that heavy scroll usage is required.

Edited by Voltron, 08 May 2015 - 05:32 PM.

Kaylon

Kaylon

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1302 posts

The vid: https://www.youtube....eature=youtu.be

Disclaimer:

The vid is using console generated char, all items/talents are obtainable in the game. However some of the items (little savior to be exact) are not obtainable before defeating the dragon (although it might be possible to sneak into the treasury, has anyone tried that?). They are by no means necessary though, and only present since OP has taken the liberty to use superb armor/shield as well (which are definitely not obtainable without defeating the dragon). Stats/talents are not really optimized, cautious attack is a complete waste for instance since it does not stack with better wiz buffs (forgot about that). Stats are M 18 D 19 C 3 P 4 I 19 R 15 (standard glass cannon wizard). Talents are W&S, Superior deflection, Deep pockets, Bear's fortitude, Snake's reflexes and Cautious Attack. As I said CA is a waste and the only really indispensable talent is W&S, others you can skip with a bit of stat tweaking and go for stuff like veil/fast runner/caster talents.

In the vid the dragon got stuck between xaurips for a few sec,  but I freed him with maelstrom. I did the fight several times to ensure I can repeat it. It is actually possible to die if you attack the dragon upfront before you get your buffs up, so it's actually better to attack the minions first and buff, but I wanted to demonstrate a facetank approach. however, with second chance item you're guaranteed to survive and get all your buffs up and running (I had it, but didn't need it), and then it's very difficult for the dragon to touch you. It is possible to raise deflection further with stuff like mirror image.

As seen in the video, I had 30+ seconds on most buffs after the dragon died (I actually wanted to use smth else than scrolls but martial prowess was still active and I didn't have a backup dps weapon) and I had enough casts to rebuff it 1-2 times more.

The fight is much easier if you use hard CC though and doable without any scrolls in this case.

Probably i could've recorded a better vid, and optimize the char better but I don't want to spend more time on it.

Edit: I'm pretty sure I can do priest and fighter as well (and priest buffs last waaay more than 10 sec, but I'm not sure I want to spend time on it)

Very good job on killing the dragon fast, but after the first hit you were all the time out of his range, you just killed him from range (the dragon didn't even attack you another time) - I wouldn't call that tanking (even though after blinding him you had the stats to do it).  ;) Seeing maelstrom damage and the actual accuracy/defenses of the dragon would have been nice too. Also you were lucky the adragans didn't slip a petrify on you (during one of my tries, before I decided to kill them first, they were managing to roll over 90 and petrify me...) 

PS. If you played with the latest patch can you verify if the protection from petrification from berath's boon is working? Becase in my game it doesn't...

MadDemiurg

MadDemiurg

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1010 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer

removed

Edited by MadDemiurg, 09 May 2015 - 03:34 AM.

MadDemiurg

MadDemiurg

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1010 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer

Very good job on killing the dragon fast, but after the first hit you were all the time out of his range, you just killed him from range (the dragon didn't even attack you another time) - I wouldn't call that tanking (even though after blinding him you had the stats to do it).  ;) Seeing maelstrom damage and the actual accuracy/defenses of the dragon would have been nice too. Also you were lucky the adragans didn't slip a petrify on you (during one of my tries, before I decided to kill them first, they were managing to roll over 90 and petrify me...) 

PS. If you played with the latest patch can you verify if the protection from petrification from berath's boon is working? Becase in my game it doesn't...

He did use breath 1 or 2 times after buffs and it missed. I replayed it  a few times and he used it more, but unluckily he got a bit stuck when I actually recorded. As you've see I had 160 fort with buffs and could've reached 170 with some stat changes or even 180 with orlan. I also had an unused second chance. I was monitoring what adragans where casting anyway so that I can intercept it if needed. Wiz has enough reflex to tank the breath with buffs even without blind, which is the only ranged attack. I'll check the boon later.

Hah nice! See OP- Paladin not only one. Wizard not only tanked as good, but killed Adra faster. I bet someone will do it with Fighter.

Good work both of you! :) Shame that heavy scroll usage is required.

It's doable with only 1-2 scrolls if you use hard CC (not necessarily petrtify), but I wanted to show a straight up damage approach.

Edited by MadDemiurg, 09 May 2015 - 03:48 AM.

Kaylon

Kaylon

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1302 posts

Here's another version of the paladin - this time without using superb armor/shield and Serel's boon...

http://youtu.be/v5MTyW9oBIs

• MadDemiurg and Raven Darkholme like this

Raven Darkholme

Raven Darkholme

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2017 posts
  • Steam:Victor_Creed_SFV

Awesome. :)

MadDemiurg

MadDemiurg

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1010 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer

Here's another version of the paladin - this time without using superb armor/shield and Serel's boon...

http://youtu.be/v5MTyW9oBIs

GJ.

Priest video uploading - no unobtainable items as well. Also no hard CC and only 1 scroll, 1 potion and 1 figurine (that was not really needed) used :p.

• peddroelm and Raven Darkholme like this

MadDemiurg

MadDemiurg

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1010 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer

All infidels must burn!

Vid link: https://www.youtube....eature=youtu.be

Few notes:

Stat build is M 18 C 3 D 19 P 16 I 19 R 3 (Your standard glass cannon priest, but with Res and Per switched. It's possible to go with standard Res and Per but you'll need to be a bit more careful until you land your debuffs or alternatively you'll need to pick a reflex talent). Talents are Scion of Flame, W&S, Inspiring Radiance, Painful/Empowered Interdiction, but frankly only Scion and W&S matter much. You get enough ref & defl, but not enough fort to tank wing slam, but it's possible to avoid it (I got careless and dot hit by it once). You hardcounter petrify with prayer though. I got a bit lucky with shining beacon crit when recording, but to be fair you almost two shot AD with beacon + cleansing flame even with normal hits, and it's not like you can't drop a 2nd one. I also forgot to add scalebreaker, but I've beaten it first try without any problems so I just recorded it on the 2nd run without it. With scalebreaker or CC spells it obviously would've been easier. Priest lacks buff speed of the Wiz, so you need to back up a bit to get your buffs up and running. Obviously you deal massive damage so you don't need to tank for long but as seen in the vid I've dodged a few breaths and my reflex was 170+ (while the dragon had like -40 accuracy).

Edited by MadDemiurg, 09 May 2015 - 11:06 AM.

• Raven Darkholme likes this

Raven Darkholme

Raven Darkholme

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2017 posts

So does Aila Bracca actually work against breath?

MadDemiurg

MadDemiurg

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1010 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer

Looks like it doesn't, although I haven't done extensive sampling.

Raven Darkholme

Raven Darkholme

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2017 posts

Looks like it doesn't, although I haven't done extensive sampling.

That's what I thought too, only tried it once though.

Kaylon

Kaylon

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1302 posts

All infidels must burn!

Vid link: https://www.youtube....eature=youtu.be

Few notes:

Stat build is M 18 C 3 D 19 P 16 I 19 R 3 (Your standard glass cannon priest, but with Res and Per switched. It's possible to go with standard Res and Per but you'll need to be a bit more careful until you land your debuffs or alternatively you'll need to pick a reflex talent). Talents are Scion of Flame, W&S, Inspiring Radiance, Painful/Empowered Interdiction, but frankly only Scion and W&S matter much. You get enough ref & defl, but not enough fort to tank wing slam, but it's possible to avoid it (I got careless and dot hit by it once). You hardcounter petrify with prayer though. I got a bit lucky with shining beacon crit when recording, but to be fair you almost two shot AD with beacon + cleansing flame even with normal hits, and it's not like you can't drop a 2nd one. I also forgot to add scalebreaker, but I've beaten it first try without any problems so I just recorded it on the 2nd run without it. With scalebreaker or CC spells it obviously would've been easier. Priest lacks buff speed of the Wiz, so you need to back up a bit to get your buffs up and running. Obviously you deal massive damage so you don't need to tank for long but as seen in the vid I've dodged a few breaths and my reflex was 170+ (while the dragon had like -40 accuracy).

Nice, but like with the wizz it's more CC and damage than tanking - blinding basically works like stuck because the dragon stops following once blinded and you can stay out of his range.

MadDemiurg

MadDemiurg

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1010 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer

Nice, but like with the wizz it's more CC and damage than tanking - blinding basically works like stuck because the dragon stops following once blinded and you can stay out of his range.

Let's put it this way - I have stats good enough to tank the dragon at range with this build. I have 210 effective reflex once debuffs land - full immunity to breath. Blind doesn't make him stop, tbh I don't know why he did it. I've still run into melee ranged and dodged quite a few deflection and reflex hits. There's enough space to kite him till he dies in the treasury anyway. I could do a higher fort build as well, which would be able to handle wing slam better, I just did a standard priest, without a lot of optimization for this fight specifically. You're right about the damage though - you need to do more damage since your buffs a bit more than a minute as a priest and unlike wiz rebuffing is a pain. Luckily you do more than enough damage. Paladin is not reliant on temporary buffs so he's able to tank longer. My point was that buffed up you can reach the comparable level of defenses for a sufficient amount of time, which I think I've proven.

Edited by MadDemiurg, 09 May 2015 - 01:41 PM.

alexis13

alexis13

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 178 posts

Wtf are you guys talking about? you can get adra dragon scales off mini adra dragons.

Also that armor COMES superb.

gkathellar

gkathellar

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2007 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Wtf are you guys talking about? you can get adra dragon scales off mini adra dragons.

wut

Gwisk Glas and Vengiatta Rugia are the only suits of armor in the game that start with the superb enchantment.

• Raven Darkholme likes this

Raven Darkholme

Raven Darkholme

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2017 posts

Please enlighten me, where to find those mini adra dragons. :)

Nobear

Nobear

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 616 posts

Please enlighten me, where to find those mini adra dragons. :)

lol a grown male dragon squeezed himself through all the narrow doorways while nobody else was watching and made babies with Adra Dragon I guess... only Alexis saw it.

TBH I still don't know how Adra Dragon got there. First time I've seen a dragon below ground. It would kind of make sense if the Engwithans grew her out of Adra, but she says she's older than them. Well, I guess it's the wrong forum for lore discussion.

Kinda cool videos on this thread, but IDK how much of it would still be possible with the current patch. Having the Scale-Breaker talent before the dragon is even approached the first time... I doubt that was ever legitimately possible.

Edit: On the off chance that Alexis isn't purposefully trying to troll, perhaps he's thinking of the other adra scale ingredient which is NOT used for superb enchantments. But hey Alexis, if you want people to trust anything you say and not think you're a troll, please try harder to fact check before you post things as fact.

Edited by Nobear, 04 August 2015 - 09:16 PM.

gkathellar

gkathellar

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2007 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

TBH I still don't know how Adra Dragon got there.

She mentions that she found her way down there when she was just a wyrm, IIRC, and has been eating the Adra ever since. By the time she contemplated leaving, she was way too big and way, way too heavy.

• Nobear likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Paladin, Solo, Adra Dragon, PotD, Tank

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users