How much space is the game supposed to take from the HD? 14gb? Mine is currently 27gb.

And there is this folder called EmptySteamDepot that's basically a copy of PillarsofEternity_Data by the looks of it. Same files, same size, explains the sudden extra 13gb of HD claimed.

I assume this is related to the problem we were having, since the actual folder was missing for some reason?

Do you happen to have Pillars installed in a strange location? We were able to see the error, but only after we manually moved the PIllars folder into another location.

The EmptySteamDepot folder is really strange and shouldn't be there. Is that folder in the root of the game directory?

No, I have Pillars of Eternity installed on my game drive like all the other games through Steam. So nothing unusual about the location.

Yeah, the EmtpySteamDepot is at the root and it was there when I first patched the game. The PillarsofEternity_Data was missing, or I assume it was because that's what the error was about. The EmptySteamDepot is exactly the same size and seems to hold the same files as well.

Based on the dates however, it seems that the EmptySteamDepot file holds some of originally installed files as they have dates that go back to March 26th.

Soooo.. the old data folder was.... renamed? I don't know.

Is it safe to delete now though? It does eat  quite a bit of space.

It should be safe to delete if you already have a folder named PillarsofEternity_Data in the game's root. The game won't look for the EmptySteamDepot folder.

Apologies to anyone that has had to redownload the game. One thing to try if you get the error and you have the EmptySteamDepot folder might be to try and rename the EmptySteamDepot folder to PillarsofEternity_Data. It may work for you.

• Like 1

• You can now change the portrait and sound set of characters from the character sheet. Click on the gear icon to open the customization window. You can only use this feature on player characters and hired (non-companion) characters.

I'm sure there is a very good reason for this, but why can't you change portraits of companion characters along with all of the rest?

I believe you can.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Pillars of Eternity\PillarsOfEternity_Data\data\art\gui\portraits\companion <- is the folder that has the companion portraits. I'm sure you could just switch them out with whatever portrait you'd rather prefer.

I tried that a few weeks ago, and it refused to actually replace the portrait. I quadruple checked my process, and it just wasn't working. I can't figure out why it wasn't; it was as if the companions's portrait was embedded somewhere else (Calisca). My player character portrait changed without any trouble. But not Calisca. 

I just experimented with the other companions, the technique works on everyone else. Haven't tried Heodan, other then him it works for sure. It will even work for a game in progress.

Doesn't seem like it. I was able to load a 1.0.4 save. Just load up your save file and do a quick save and see if you can load that.

Only issue is if you save a game in 1.0.5 and try and load it in an earlier version of the game.  As quoted below

Please Note: Save games in 1.05 are not compatible with 1.04 or earlier versions. The game will automatically back up your save games in a special folder in the save game directory after converting the saves to the new format.

Loading an older save in 1.0.5 is not an issue as I stated above.

Edited by kaiki

I would say further balancing and performance optimizations should be priority for future patches. I'm still struggling with sub 60 frame rates in certain instances when it's not justified. We should not require i7 processors and Titan graphics cards to run this game smoothly at all times. TBH even with those specs I doubt the game would run flawlessly, since there is something innately and severely unoptimised about the game.

• Like 1

People want to change the class, attributes, portraits of the premade NPCs. Next they'll also want to change their names, too. Actually, that might be fun...

All of those things are important, yes, but I would argue the portrait is the least important to adhere to. Class, attributes, names, dialogue, voice, and in-game image are all tied to the story. But the portraits seem to me irrelevent in those terms. The companions have their in-game (isometric) image. The portraits don't affect gameplay, wouldn't modify dialogue, wouldn't impact the story, or the background of the character, their reason for being there or their personality traits, skills, strengths, weaknesses. It's just a portrait with which to identify and click in the UI. Same as for all of the other characters, for whom we can change portraits.

Multiquote isn't working for me at the moment (just stacking a bunch of quotes rather than actually multiquoting) so forgive the double- and triple-post.

How is it not important to adhere to? The companion portraits are the visual represetations of the characters meticulously created by Obsidian for the purposes of the story. Would you ask for options to change their dialogue or personalities to suit your tastes as well?

YOUR character and the custom characters YOU create are a different matter entirely.

Edited by Justinian

People want to change the class, attributes, portraits of the premade NPCs. Next they'll also want to change their names, too. Actually, that might be fun...

:alienani: Why not just forget about having the developers make the game and...do it ourselves?   :w00t:  

Regarding downloading from Steam.  I have Windows 7 and had no problem.  After download was complete I started the game to take a look and then excited.  There was a short period while the game did download reset a bit longer than usually.  I have now played a little with no issues.  My game is installed in the normal Steam place nothing unusually there.

Edited by Nakia

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg

Honestly though, when the developers themselves change the foundations of the characters, I see no reason why players shouldn't be allowed to do it themselves. Taking the change of Grieving Mother as an example, once you've settled that the attributes have no connection to the characterization of the CNPC:s, does it really matter whether it's the player or the developer doing the optimization?

I would prefer it if we weren't in this situation at all, but Obsidian has settled for it, and thus it is very hard to argue against the player being able to freely re-assign every aspect of the CNPC:s with any degree of honesty. There's really no logical reason why the player shouldn't be allowed to make Edér a Intellect-based Wizard or make Kana a Dexterity-based flashmonster, at this point.

How is it not important to adhere to? The companion portraits are the visual represetations of the characters meticulously created by Obsidian for the purposes of the story. Would you ask for options to change their dialogue or personalities to suit your tastes as well?

YOUR character and the custom characters YOU create are a different matter entirely.

Why would the visual representation be more important than the mechanical representation? Don't misunderstand me - I agree with you, on a fundamental level, but at this point, why would it matter to you what the portraits look like, just because they once fitted the characters?

And yes, why not dialogue and personalities? It would be much harder to do, unreasonably so, but there's still a point to be made; why not?

Edited by Luckmann

t50aJUd.jpg

^I got the impression that was only when they first join the party - can choose to start them from level 1.

I didn't think it was 'respec anytime' - can anyone confirm?

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

Only when you meet the characters for the first time, no respecing.

Also, wee, they added a "voice frequency" slider in the options to set how often you want the "barks" to play! Thanks for that guys, have been whining about that since the backer beta. :)

• Like 1

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

The patch has done absolutely nothing for me in terms of the Dozens/Knights quest lines. Still, after completing a single Dozens quest and simply accepting the second, I am a "close ally of the Dozens" and therefore cannot be trusted.

Honestly though, when the developers themselves change the foundations of the characters, I see no reason why players shouldn't be allowed to do it themselves. Taking the change of Grieving Mother as an example, once you've settled that the attributes have no connection to the characterization of the CNPC:s, does it really matter whether it's the player or the developer doing the optimization?

I would prefer it if we weren't in this situation at all, but Obsidian has settled for it, and thus it is very hard to argue against the player being able to freely re-assign every aspect of the CNPC:s with any degree of honesty. There's really no logical reason why the player shouldn't be allowed to make Edér a Intellect-based Wizard or make Kana a Dexterity-based flashmonster, at this point.

Why would the visual representation be more important than the mechanical representation? Don't misunderstand me - I agree with you, on a fundamental level, but at this point, why would it matter to you what the portraits look like, just because they once fitted the characters?

And yes, why not dialogue and personalities? It would be much harder to do, unreasonably so, but there's still a point to be made; why not?

Do you really believe that with the current attribute system you can mechanically represent the characteristics of a companion? In a game where the best wizard is a world-class weightlifter and acrobat and the best tank is a wimpy oaf with a keen eyesight and unwavering determination.

In every RPG system attributes are an abstraction, but in PoE it's an abstraction of an abstraction. It's beyond silly.

In other games, even when the system offers me a totally useless dump stat, I don't go to very low range due to RP reasons. But the way PoE is setup... well, I have no qualms when I see those 3s.

Do you really believe that with the current attribute system you can mechanically represent the characteristics of a companion? In a game where the best wizard is a world-class weightlifter and acrobat and the best tank is a wimpy oaf with a keen eyesight and unwavering determination.

Haha

Apologies to anyone that has had to redownload the game. One thing to try if you get the error and you have the EmptySteamDepot folder might be to try and rename the EmptySteamDepot folder to PillarsofEternity_Data. It may work for you.

I had the "There should be 'PillarsOfEternity_Data' folder next to the executable" error and I tried this fix and it worked fine.

​This happens if your steamgmes folder is not in it's default location.

I would say further balancing and performance optimizations should be priority for future patches. I'm still struggling with sub 60 frame rates in certain instances when it's not justified. We should not require i7 processors and Titan graphics cards to run this game smoothly at all times. TBH even with those specs I doubt the game would run flawlessly, since there is something innately and severely unoptimised about the game.

It is called Unity 4.5