Hey, everyone. the 1.05 patch (Build 567) is now live on Steam. We are packaging everything up for GOG and Origin, so those builds should be updated in a day or two.

Some highlights from 1.05 include:

• You can now rename save games.
  • You can now change the portrait and sound set of characters from the character sheet. Click on the gear icon to open the customization window. You can only use this feature on player characters and hired (non-companion) characters.
  • New Stash sorting. You can now sort stash by item type, enchant score, and sell value.
  • Added a News Feed on the main menu to keep you informed on patches and Kickstarter updates.
  • Added a new color for unique items in the inventory.
  • Added a new hotkey for switching weapon sets on selected characters.
  • You can now bind extra mouse buttons to Ability hotkeys.
  • There's a new option in the Difficulty settings to reset newly recruited companions to level 1 (without losing the experience) when they get added to the party for the first time. This will allow you to level up companions to your liking.

For the full patch notes on 1.05, please go here.

During this patch we needed to change around our Steam depot structure. Most of you should be unaffected by these changes, but if you have problems please report them in this thread. You can also go to that thread for an explanation of the Steam depots and why we needed to change them.

Enjoy!

• Like 14

Patch downloaded automatically on Steam, tried to start the game and it fails. Said something about "there should be a data file next to the executable".

Did verification of files, now re-downloading 5,6gb worth of files. Good times :p

Patch downloaded automatically on Steam, tried to start the game and it fails. Said something about "there should be a data file next to the executable".

Did verification of files, now re-downloading 5,6gb worth of files. Good times :p

Hey, Foksuh. What OS are you on?

Windows 7.

Edit: Based on Steam forums it seems to happening to other people too.

Edited by Foksuh

Windows 7.

We have been unable to reproduce this problem internally. Not sure what would cause it. Please let me know if after a build verification it works correctly.

Windows 7.

We have been unable to reproduce this problem internally. Not sure what would cause it. Please let me know if after a build verification it works correctly.

Yeah, took me longer than expected to verify the files due to connection issues but it seems to be working now. Launched fine after the download and loaded up saves and such as well and the build version is correct.

Feel free to PM me if there's any questions related to the problem.

I also have the  "there should be a data file next to the executable" bug.

I think your depot change changed the file location..but Steam doesn't recognize the new configuration.

Aka...we have to redownload :(

Shrubnub

The exact error is:

"Data folder not found"

"There should be 'PillarsOfEternity_Data'

folder next to the executable"

In a popup after you try to launch the game.

Windows 7 here too.

Shrubnub

How much space is the game supposed to take from the HD? 14gb? Mine is currently 27gb.

And there is this folder called EmptySteamDepot that's basically a copy of PillarsofEternity_Data by the looks of it. Same files, same size, explains the sudden extra 13gb of HD claimed.

I assume this is related to the problem we were having, since the actual folder was missing for some reason?

Edited by Foksuh

• You can now change the portrait and sound set of characters from the character sheet. Click on the gear icon to open the customization window. You can only use this feature on player characters and hired (non-companion) characters.

I'm sure there is a very good reason for this, but why can't you change portraits of companion characters along with all of the rest?

I'm sure there is a very good reason for this, but why can't you change portraits of companion characters along with all of the rest?

I assume for RP reasons.

How much space is the game supposed to take from the HD? 14gb? Mine is currently 27gb.

And there is this folder called EmptySteamDepot that's basically a copy of PillarsofEternity_Data by the looks of it. Same files, same size, explains the sudden extra 13gb of HD claimed.

I assume this is related to the problem we were having, since the actual folder was missing for some reason?

Do you happen to have Pillars installed in a strange location? We were able to see the error, but only after we manually moved the PIllars folder into another location.

The EmptySteamDepot folder is really strange and shouldn't be there. Is that folder in the root of the game directory?

People want to change the class, attributes, portraits of the premade NPCs. Next they'll also want to change their names, too. Actually, that might be fun...

• Like 1

I believe you can.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Pillars of Eternity\PillarsOfEternity_Data\data\art\gui\portraits\companion <- is the folder that has the companion portraits. I'm sure you could just switch them out with whatever portrait you'd rather prefer.

I believe you can.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Pillars of Eternity\PillarsOfEternity_Data\data\art\gui\portraits\companion <- is the folder that has the companion portraits. I'm sure you could just switch them out with whatever portrait you'd rather prefer.

Yeah, this works, too.

Do you happen to have Pillars installed in a strange location? We were able to see the error, but only after we manually moved the PIllars folder into another location.

The EmptySteamDepot folder is really strange and shouldn't be there. Is that folder in the root of the game directory?

No, I have Pillars of Eternity installed on my game drive like all the other games through Steam. So nothing unusual about the location.

Yeah, the EmtpySteamDepot is at the root and it was there when I first patched the game. The PillarsofEternity_Data was missing, or I assume it was because that's what the error was about. The EmptySteamDepot is exactly the same size and seems to hold the same files as well.

Based on the dates however, it seems that the EmptySteamDepot file holds some of originally installed files as they have dates that go back to March 26th.

Soooo.. the old data folder was.... renamed? I don't know.

Is it safe to delete now though? It does eat  quite a bit of space.

Edited by Foksuh

No, I have Pillars of Eternity installed on my game drive like all the other games through Steam. So nothing unusual about the location.

Yeah, the EmtpySteamDepot is at the root and it was there when I first patched the game. The PillarsofEternity_Data was missing, or I assume it was because that's what the error was about. The EmptySteamDepot is exactly the same size and seems to hold the same files as well.

Based on the dates however, it seems that the EmptySteamDepot file holds some of originally installed files as they have dates that go back to March 26th.

Soooo.. the old data folder was.... renamed? I don't know.

Is it safe to delete now though? It does eat  quite a bit of space.

I'm guessing it's supposed to be a temp backup during the update.

I had the same folder, though it was empty.

It should be safe to delete.

I downloaded a 1.6gb patch, then got the "There should be 'PillarsOfEternity_Data' folder next to the executable" message so I verified the games cache. It then said "186469 files failed to validate and will be reacquired."

Currently downloading the whole freaking game again. So much for playing the game this evening. 

I assume for RP reasons.

But if, say, you change the portraits to ones of your own creation for all the other characters, and you want to make some for the companions which match that aesthetic, you can't. That is a challenge to reconcile, in RP terms. I have made my own for the player character and planned on doing that for the companions, so this update is bittersweet. 

People want to change the class, attributes, portraits of the premade NPCs. Next they'll also want to change their names, too. Actually, that might be fun...

All of those things are important, yes, but I would argue the portrait is the least important to adhere to. Class, attributes, names, dialogue, voice, and in-game image are all tied to the story. But the portraits seem to me irrelevent in those terms. The companions have their in-game (isometric) image. The portraits don't affect gameplay, wouldn't modify dialogue, wouldn't impact the story, or the background of the character, their reason for being there or their personality traits, skills, strengths, weaknesses. It's just a portrait with which to identify and click in the UI. Same as for all of the other characters, for whom we can change portraits.

Multiquote isn't working for me at the moment (just stacking a bunch of quotes rather than actually multiquoting) so forgive the double- and triple-post.

Edited by Rangoon

I believe you can.

I tried that a few weeks ago, and it refused to actually replace the portrait. I quadruple checked my process, and it just wasn't working. I can't figure out why it wasn't; it was as if the companions's portrait was embedded somewhere else (Calisca). My player character portrait changed without any trouble. But not Calisca.