Question about the Expansion

Would you guys prefer it to be a new separate expansion with new everything or an extension of the current game with improvements to stuff like the stronghold? I'm wondering if the chars we make now will carry over into that game along with our current companions. Or maybe it might be the same main character but complete set of new companions?

The wizard grimoire has more empty slots for higher tier spells as do the chanter's level up screen for more invocation's which gives me the impression it will be an extension but this might be easily changed.

What do you guys think and want from it?

Our companions essentially retire after we beat the game, which is to say they go their separate ways. Our player character at the end of the game should make the transition to the expansion, as being a Watcher is what makes us so dosh garn special. So a new set of companions will likely be the way to go for the devs. 

I personally would not mind leaving Dyrewood behind, but losing the stronghold as soon as we were done upgrading it is a bit grating. Still, we can leave the keys with our steward/throne and go do whatever we want.  

And yes, I too noticed the conspicuous opening in the Wizards grimoire for more spells. I did not think that chanters had such a notice, but we can clearly see that the system was built with such an expansion in mind. 

As for what I want? More beaches. Anslög's Compass was my favorite spot in the game and I really wanted more locations like that. If we go to the Vailian Republics, Dyrewood's southern neighbor, we might just get that. I also want the chance to play more politics, just was we did at the end of Act 2 during the Animancy Debates.  

Edited by Venatio
  • Like 2

I have only one question about the expansion: when?

As for what I want? More beaches. Anslög's Compass was my favorite spot in the game and I really wanted more locations like that. If we go to the Vailian Republics, Dyrewood's southern neighbor, we might just get that. I also want the chance to play more politics, just was we did at the end of Act 2 during the Animancy Debates.  

Yeah, but I would prefer Deadfire Archipelago or Rauatai.

Would you guys prefer it to be a new separate expansion with new everything or an extension of the current game with improvements to stuff like the stronghold? I'm wondering if the chars we make now will carry over into that game along with our current companions. Or maybe it might be the same main character but complete set of new companions?

The wizard grimoire has more empty slots for higher tier spells as do the chanter's level up screen for more invocation's which gives me the impression it will be an extension but this might be easily changed.

What do you guys think and want from it?

You're basically talking about the difference between an expansion and a sequel.  An expansion would be like the BG1 "Tales of the Sword Coast" expansion, whereas a sequel would be like BG2 to BG1.

Personally, I want both, but the expansion first.

With an expansion, I'd expect it to be simply an extension of what already exists in PoE.  More new areas accessible from the existing map, among other things.

With a sequel, I'd personally hope for the adventure to take the PC to some entirely new locations far away from the Dyrwood.

Our companions essentially retire after we beat the game, which is to say they go their separate ways. Our player character at the end of the game should make the transition to the expansion, as being a Watcher is what makes us so dosh garn special. So a new set of companions will likely be the way to go for the devs. 

I personally would not mind leaving Dyrewood behind, but losing the stronghold as soon as we were done upgrading it is a bit grating. Still, we can leave the keys with our steward/throne and go do whatever we want.  

And yes, I too noticed the conspicuous opening in the Wizards grimoire for more spells. I did not think that chanters had such a notice, but we can clearly see that the system was built with such an expansion in mind. 

Well I sort of mentioned companions since I kind of rely on and built Durance as the mechanics guy. Though I did read respecs will come for companions in the beta patch notes so it shouldn't be an issue if they allow the same thing in an expansion. For chanter when leveling Kana I saw there were level 6 invocations as max when we only reached level 3 so I was imagining what else they could possibly make as summons in the future.

Edited by Dinky Dino

Well I sort of mentioned companions since I kind of rely on and built Durance as the mechanics guy. Though I did read respecs will come for companions in the beta patch notes so it shouldn't be an issue if they allow the same thing in an expansion. For chanter when leveling Kana I saw there were level 6 invocations as max when we only reached level 3 so I was imagining what else they could possibly make as summons in the future.

Worst comes to worst, roll up a Rogue adventurer with maxed out mechanics.

Have a very nice day.

-fgalkin

I have to agree with fgalkin, I'm too impatient to put up with having a low mechanic user in my party because, especially in the beginning, traps and locks are so plentiful that being unable to deal with them always feels crippling. 

I would be surprised if we at least didn't meet up with our companions in some capacity.

I have only one question about the expansion: when?

The PC presser for E3 is scheduled on June 16th. 

E3 itself is the 16th-18th. 

I'm assuming we'll know more then.

We already know what kind of expansion we're getting; it'll be a "Tales of the Sword Coast" style expansion. Which is a good thing. TOB style expansions are usually just pitiful pseudo sequels. 

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

Proper dragons should be a level 6 invocation. Considering Ogres & drakes are kinda late game monsters anyways dragons seem like the logical progression.

We already know what kind of expansion we're getting; it'll be a "Tales of the Sword Coast" style expansion. Which is a good thing. TOB style expansions are usually just pitiful pseudo sequels. 

So you're calling something like Masks of the Betrayer pitiful?  

As far as I know it's already in the works. Or so they led us to believe before launch. So our wishes at this point won't change much.

But I certainly would rather like an expansion on the current game instead of a new adventure which would be better served with a whole new game instead of just an addon.

So you're calling something like Masks of the Betrayer pitiful?  

I actually never played that one. Maybe I'm just sour towards such expansions due to TOB.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

Of course extension of the current game.If I want to play a sparate game,I will buy POE2.

Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, She got the Mercedes Benz

She's got a lot of pretty, pretty boys, that she calls friends

How they dance in the courtyard, sweet summer sweat.

Some dance to remember, some dance to forget

I want the game to go BG Saga style and continue our current character until the end. (BG->TotSC->BG2->ToB)

The reason why I want a BG saga style expansion/sequel is because of Continuity. 

However I want to visit other lands and stories as well. The devs can do this using full expansions.

For example:

(Half-length) Expansion 1: Expand PoE, just like TotSC. Put new areas, add additional quests, etc. Same character.

(Full-length) Expansion 2: New campaign in new lands. Also, new protagonist.

PoE 2: Import character from original PoE. Either bring old NPC companions or not. (I prefer not)

(Half-length) Expansion 1: Expand PoE 2, just like TotSC. Put new areas, add additional quests, etc. Same original character.

(Full-length) Expansion 2: New campaign in new lands. Either new Protagonist or importable.

PoE 3: Import character from original PoE 2. Either bring (some) old NPC companions or not. 

If they decide to have a PoE3 expansion, I don't mind.