For traps to trigger the enemy middle has to overlap the trap middle. The trap radius on cast is the area of effect not the trigger radius. Seals have pretty high accuracy and multiples can be overlapped for some rather comical trapslosions.

Glad i'm not the only one who has noticed that traps are pretty useless.

1. Traps seems to trigger in unreliable manner ? sometimes they trigger ok, sometimes enemies just run over them...

2. Character can set only 1 trap despite how good his mechanics skills is. This should depend on player mechanics skill. Better mechanics - more traps.

For example:

1-3: 1 trap

3-6: 2 traps

6-9: 3 traps

10-13: 4 traps

Ofcourse these numbers can be tweaked through playtesting. :)

3. Why not allow player to craft his own traps?

Edited by Carados
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

First, I haven't played much with traps except a Fireball trap that I set at a door to a tough fight with Shades and Shadows in the Temple of Eothas, which triggered and really turned the tide. I had attempted that fight several times prior to trying the trap, and it made all the difference. So are others still having the same issues with traps with the latest 1.0.6 version? I tried another Fireball trap in a more open space on the same level, again with Shades and Shadows, and it didn't hit many enemies and didn't do much.

Second, I only recently learned that priest Seals are considered Traps, and I didn't fully believe it until I read this thread. Well, that raises some interesting possibilities in my mind.

Though Durance isn't optimized for mechanics, maybe I can make him my mechanic and this would boost his Seals accuracy too? Though priests are talent-starved what with all the Interdiction talents and Inspiring Radiance, maybe it would make sense to get Powerful Traps and/or Accurate Traps, assuming they also work with Seals. Repulsing Seal is just so good with such a long duration even as is, you could knock out enemies for a pretty long fight with 40% longer duration. And would that add or multiply with Int and Might?

Lastly, and I know I can easily test this, but I'm going to bed and will check this tomorrow: can traps be set in combat, just like seals can? That'd be cool to give Durance something to do with the traps he finds in the early game, after he buffs and if nobody needs healing. Some might do more than auto attacking with his gun would, and would probably be guaranteed to at least trigger if he placed them right on an enemy's head. You'd think...

Anyway, I know I'm reviving an old thread but I figure that's better than creating a duplicate. I look forward to hearing thoughts and feedback!

I like traps.

I agree that seals should be affected by lore, not mechanics skills.

I also agree that the game should better show the area of effect for traps.

seals is current getting the same math as hazards, which actual makes less sense than use o' mechanics seeing as hazards is not foe-only.  regardless, mechanics is no longer a factor for seals.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I experimented at a save file I have where I can make a level 5 adventurer. Well, I didn't see the trap talents mentioned on the Wiki, so either they require higher level or they were removed. I read somewhere else that they were removed, so that's probably the case.

Oh well, so much for my super mechanic priest idea, but it's not a big deal since there are so many good priest talents anyway. I still like the idea of making him the mechanics guy so his Seals are more accurate. I will find out soon enough whether this actually works, and also whether you can lay down regular traps in combat like you can with Seals, to give him something to do possibly more effective than auto-attack in the early game after buffing if no heals are needed. Might as well try to put the traps he finds to use if I can!

seals is current getting the same math as hazards, which actual makes less sense than use o' mechanics seeing as hazards is not foe-only.  regardless, mechanics is no longer a factor for seals.

Wait, was this something I missed in the patch notes, or was it fixed silently? How are you sure of this? Hey, it'd be great if I didn't feel I had to restart yet again to make Durance my mechanic. You are sure this would no longer improve his Seals, like people have talked about before?

fixed w/o note.  seals is still extreme powerful, but that is 'cause they irrational use hazard calculations in spite o' not being hazards.  a wall o' fire having heightened accuracy makes sense.  a foe only seal?  regardless, you not need mechanics to make your seal strong.

*shrug*

trap math was tuned... poorly.  at release, traps were disproportionate accurate.  a rogue or wizard or chanter with 10 in mechanics who set a trap could be near guaranteed to crit.  at release, most traps had an inherent Bonus to accuracy as well as excessive damage potential.  priests were not getting some kinda advantage with seal spells compared to any other kinda trap, but traps as a whole were way overpowered.  traps get nerfed very quick after release, but for whatever reason, seals took longer for obsidian to adjust to correct.  'course obsidian solution has seals as remaining overpowered, just without the need to take mechanics to make 'em so.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Yeah, the duration of Repulsing Seal is so long, I haven't even used the others :p. I'm a CC kinda guy (with good ranged DPS in my party), but maybe I'll try the others for fun. So hazards all get an inherent accuracy boost then? That's why my Repulsing Seal does its job so reliably even with only +6 Accuracy in my party so far?