So Paladins and rangers..

People are just exaggerating.  Both classes are fine and they don't need any changes.  Some people (like Loneknife) have this MMO mentality where EVERYTHING has to be equal.

I still find it very weird people remember me by name just for pointing out how far behind Paladins are.

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

It's not that rangers are just plain bad. It's that they're BORING AS ALL HELL. In D&D rangers get dual wield as a character trait, they can go on and specialize as archers, as beastmasters, as whatever...  They get some basic druid spells, they can sneak very well and get bonuses to that later on (to the point of being able to just disappear in plain sight in some environments), after a while they get to completely ignore area-effect damage with a roll to save (instead of just take half damage like other chars). They get favored enemies and the ability to speak to animals etc.

THEY'RE INTERESTING CHARACTERS WITH A TON OF DEPTH :)

In P:OE they're... archers with a crap animal and 3con/3res. That's it.

Not a single character class in POE is half as interesting as any character class in D&D, and the ranger is where it really shows.

Just a bad game overall. full on disappointment

What's so interesting about fighters in D&D? Barbarians? Bards? Clerics? Wizards and Sorcerers? You just picked the most boring class in PoE as a point of comparison...

Well, I'm currently in my first game, like ten hours, paladin, hard mode, and I think I'm doing pretty well. I'm supossing that the game is just difficult sometimes, but only for some points. I know I can't go solo everywhere, but that wasnt my plan when starting the game. If you wanna go solo you just dont make a paladin, but a ranger or something else.

IMO of course

It's not that rangers are just plain bad. It's that they're BORING AS ALL HELL. In D&D rangers get dual wield as a character trait, they can go on and specialize as archers, as beastmasters, as whatever...  They get some basic druid spells, they can sneak very well and get bonuses to that later on (to the point of being able to just disappear in plain sight in some environments), after a while they get to completely ignore area-effect damage with a roll to save (instead of just take half damage like other chars). They get favored enemies and the ability to speak to animals etc.

Not a single character class in POE is half as interesting as any character class in D&D, and the ranger is where it really shows.

In POE, you can build Rangers as you wish. I'm not sure why people keep saying they are "just boring archers with a pet" when you can easily make them your ideal D&D Ranger (dual wielding, swift aim, two weapon fighting, Weapon Focus, lore scrolls that give Druid spells, talents that give damage bonuses against specific enemy groups,etc) and you're not forced into any specific build unless you're one of those players who sacrifice themselves on the alter of "optimal play". If you're worried about "optimal play" then you're only limiting yourself because the very same thing can be said for any game. 

All I see in these complaints are "POE classes are not like D&D classes". If you want pre-made D&D classes then play a D&D game. If I want to make a POE Ranger similar to a BG2 Ranger kit, I can easily do this. For the record, the IE games didn't do the ideal D&D Ranger very well either.

For important discussion, I really hope Obsidian adopts the idea behind the IE mods fix to NPC Paladins/Priests being affected by party reputation. It's a no-brainer decision, imo.

You can build Rangers as melee combatants, rather than as ranged combatants.  HOWEVER, PoE Rangers' melee accuracy is 15 points lower than their ranged accuracy.  Beyond that, PoE Ranger's abilities and talents are either aimed at enhancing their animal companion or enhancing their ranged combat abilities with few exceptions.  So if you choose to build a melee ranger, you're going to end up with a very weak character compared to if you'd stuck with a ranged Ranger.

If the Devs would just get rid of that melee accuracy penalty, it'd go a long way towards making Rangers moderately competent in melee, even without any melee focused class abilities or talents.

What's so interesting about fighters in D&D? Barbarians? Bards? Clerics? Wizards and Sorcerers? You just picked the most boring class in PoE as a point of comparison...

Meh.  What makes any character in D&D or PoE isn't their class, but the character itself.  The character's backstory, personality, motivations, and so forth.

In POE, you can build Rangers as you wish. I'm not sure why people keep saying they are "just boring archers with a pet" when you can easily make them your ideal D&D Ranger (dual wielding, swift aim, two weapon fighting, Weapon Focus, lore scrolls that give Druid spells, talents that give damage bonuses against specific enemy groups,etc) and you're not forced into any specific build unless you're one of those players who sacrifice themselves on the alter of "optimal play". If you're worried about "optimal play" then you're only limiting yourself because the very same thing can be said for any game. 

All I see in these complaints are "POE classes are not like D&D classes". If you want pre-made D&D classes then play a D&D game. If I want to make a POE Ranger similar to a BG2 Ranger kit, I can easily do this. For the record, the IE games didn't do the ideal D&D Ranger very well either.

For important discussion, I really hope Obsidian adopts the idea behind the IE mods fix to NPC Paladins/Priests being affected by party reputation. It's a no-brainer decision, imo.

You can build Rangers as melee combatants, rather than as ranged combatants.  HOWEVER, PoE Rangers' melee accuracy is 15 points lower than their ranged accuracy.  Beyond that, PoE Ranger's abilities and talents are either aimed at enhancing their animal companion or enhancing their ranged combat abilities with few exceptions.  So if you choose to build a melee ranger, you're going to end up with a very weak character compared to if you'd stuck with a ranged Ranger.

If the Devs would just get rid of that melee accuracy penalty, it'd go a long way towards making Rangers moderately competent in melee, even without any melee focused class abilities or talents.

What are you talking about? I haven't seen any melee accuracy penalties for Rangers. I hope it's not assuming you choose a Wood Elf or something. Also, I've noticed that some of their ranged talents are interchangeable with melee weapons; when I hit level 12 I'll see if this is true for most talents.

Edited by View619
  • Like 1

HOWEVER, PoE Rangers' melee accuracy is 15 points lower than their ranged accuracy. 

I think you are referring to an earlier (beta) build that was, I believe, removed as it is no longer referenced anywhere in the game itself.  Did you get this information from the wiki?  I believe there are many things on there that were from the beta and has not been updated since.

• Like 1

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

^^^^ This.

D&D had only a few classes.  Fighter, rogue, cleric, and mage.  That is ALL it had.  Everything else that was added to it over the decades were derived from this small group, growing from the original 4 into many, many "classes".  Druids were in the manual as an EXAMPLE of how to make a specialized cleric.  Barbarians were an example of a specialized fighter class.   There were the multi-classed hybrids as well -- ranger is a fighter/cleric variation that became a fighter/druid.   But the heart of D&D was about makeing your own from their examples, not just blindly using the example templates.   The stuff in the DM and player guides was boring, a starting point to get the creativity flowing, nothing more.