Change in Steam Depots

Hello, everyone. We are currently planning on releasing 1.05 tomorrow. As part of the 1.05 patch I am going to be making some (somewhat) significant changes to the Pillars of Eternity depot structure in Steam.

A depot is a collection of files that we can assign to different packages. When you purchase a game off of Steam you are actually purchasing a specific package that is a collection of depots. The depots contain information about where to place the files from the Steam servers to your local machine.

The reason for this change is because we originally set up our depots so that there was a base depot, and a depot for each OS. Depending on your OS, you would receive the base depot and the depot for your OS. We thought this would work out, but due to differences in the Mac build it is difficult to maintain and will become more difficult with more content being added. The solution is to move the files that were in the base depot to the OS-specific depots. This should be a one time thing as this new structure will scale well in the future.

We have done testing on our new depot structures, but due to how Steam works, we won't know if everything is perfect until we push the changes live (which we are coinciding with 1.05).

The practical effect is that you shouldn't notice much of anything change. The depots just tell Steam what to download and where to put it. Since the new depots aren't changing any of that, you shouldn't have additional data to download (past the normal patch data). It is possible that Mac may try to download additional data for a 30 - 40 minute period in the morning (until the full changeover is complete), but we will try to minimize that.

Thanks for your (future) patience.

• Like 6

Well, I'm predicting some future impatience!

Good to know that the patch is coming soon. No beta this time? Or did I manage to miss it?

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

Good to know that the patch is coming soon. No beta this time? Or did I manage to miss it?

We have had the beta running for about a week. We have a slight change we are going to make (nerfing Petrified from X4 damage to X2 damage), but otherwise what is up for the beta is pretty much it.

• Like 1

We have had the beta running for about a week. We have a slight change we are going to make (nerfing Petrified from X4 damage to X2 damage), but otherwise what is up for the beta is pretty much it.

I'm a day late and dollar short, as usual. :p

Actually, the timing is perfect. I took a break from PoE to wait for this patch in hopes that a couple of annoying bugs would be rectified, as I don't want to tarnish my first run through of the game. As luck would have it, I should be wrapping up my second WL2 full runthrough tonight; I have tomorrow off work and should be able to get back into PoE with the new patch.

Couldn't have planned that better if I had tried, in fact.

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

Hello, everyone. We are currently planning on releasing 1.05 tomorrow. As part of the 1.05 patch I am going to be making some (somewhat) significant changes to the Pillars of Eternity depot structure in Steam.

Can you tell us, pls, when should we wait localization fixes?

Same here, Duke.  I'm waiting to start a new game until after I can get 1.05.  (Well, I did start a new game last night just to play some PoE, but I'm gonna dump it and start fresh when 1.05 is released.)

• Like 1

Hey, CaptSpaz. That is the only real side effect of changing out the depots. Until the depots are rebuilt (they are rebuilding now), you will download both builds. Hopefully the rebuilt depots will be finished in the next 30 minutes or so.

Once the rebuild is complete the download size should go back to normal.

• Like 2

Will this change in steam depots affect cross-platform cloud saves? Still hoping to be able to play on my PC then pick up and play on my Macbook when I'm out. I know it's possible because copying the files from PC on USB to Mac work, but the cloud would sure make things easier.

5gb download has started on my mac. Hoping to see the 1.05 patch show up shortly after!

Depot rebuild is still going on. Taking a while because these depots have never been built before.

It is currently uploading the last major depot. Once it is finished I can make the build live for 1.05.

Those of you downloading data are not getting 1.05. You are just getting shuffled data from the depots changing. Once the depot creation/upload is complete it should go back to normal.

• Like 1

Depot rebuild is still going on. Taking a while because these depots have never been built before.

It is currently uploading the last major depot. Once it is finished I can make the build live for 1.05.

Those of you downloading data are not getting 1.05. You are just getting shuffled data from the depots changing. Once the depot creation/upload is complete it should go back to normal.

Um, this is an odd question and I'm not even sure you'd be able to answer in any sense of the word... but do you think one should wait for the expansion hitting before starting up a new game?

Personally, I don't think so. I don't want to talk about any expansion details at this point, because we haven't announced anything, but once we do I don't mind talking through some of the details with you guys.

• Like 1

I patched the game through Steam normally, then tried to start the game. It said something about a missing data file that should be next to the executable and refused to launch.

I ran verify game files and I'm now redownloading 5,6gb worth of files. Siiiigh.

Pillars of Eternity just updated to 1.0.5 when I opened Steam. Now when I try to launch it I get:

"There should be 'PillarsOfEternity_Data' folder next to the executable"

89i4gAr.png

I'm using Windows 8.1 x64 with steam and PoE in the default directory "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Pillars of Eternity"

Directory of C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Pillars of Eternity

05/07/2015  07:23 PM    <DIR>          .
05/07/2015  07:23 PM    <DIR>          ..
03/31/2015  05:05 PM    <DIR>          Docs
05/07/2015  07:23 PM    <DIR>          EmptySteamDepot
03/31/2015  05:05 PM    <DIR>          Links
05/07/2015  07:11 PM        12,012,560 PillarsOfEternity.exe
05/07/2015  07:22 PM           133,472 SteamworksNative.dll
03/31/2015  05:51 PM           187,584 steam_api.dll
03/31/2015  05:51 PM                 6 steam_appid.txt
03/31/2015  05:03 PM    <DIR>          _CommonRedist
               4 File(s)     12,333,622 bytes
               6 Dir(s)  132,943,716,352 bytes free

I renamed C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Pillars of Eternity\EmptySteamDepot to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Pillars of Eternity\PillarsOfEternity_Data and now the game runs.

Edited by BanjoBlack