My current party are all level 5, and consists of ... 

* Edér

* Zezhou ( My monk character. )

* Kana

* Aloth 

* Durance

* Sagani

Now I got the quest "Cinders of Faith" yesterday, and I read a bit about the quest. Considering what my party would meet in that area, would it be wise to go there with a level 5 party, or would it be better to go there at a later level?

• Like 1

I usually complete that on my party's way back from Dyrford Village (level 9). Durance has a "moment" there so make sure he comes along. Sagani gets a racial accuracy bonus against everything there, so bring her too. Highly recommend having someone in your party with 10 Mechanics.

Hope that helps

• Like 1

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

Depends on the difficulty setting on PotD the map is swarming with drakes (5) and young drakes (7) who also get buffed by xaurips on normal according to an online guide there are supposed to be only 2 young drakes. So if you want to clear the map on Potd I would say solo not before 9 and with a party not before 7. Ofc you also can sneak directly to the cave on Potd clearing the map is harder than the actual fight inside.

• Like 1

The map area involved for the Cinders quest would be a bit ... challenging .... I'd think, for a level 5 party, depending on the difficulty setting of the game and your general experience as a player.  I generally prefer to hold off on going to this map area until my party is tougher.

• Like 1

There's a Mechanics check that you really don't want to fail. Easier to pass (without cheesing it) at a higher level. Obviously you can come, do the fight now, and come back for the Mechanics check later, but that's just cheese of a different flavor

• Like 1

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

There's a Mechanics check that you really don't want to fail. Easier to pass (without cheesing it) at a higher level. Obviously you can come, do the fight now, and come back for the Mechanics check later, but that's just cheese of a different flavor

Achilles, it took me a moment to remember what Mechanics check you were talking about here.  But, herein lies a problem with Mechanics checks.  The kind of check you're referring to here shouldn't be a mechanics check at all, but a perception check, IMO.

Regardless, you are 100% correct.  This is something that one absolutely does NOT want to miss.  :grin:

I usually complete that on my party's way back from Dyrford Village (level 9). Durance has a "moment" there so make sure he comes along. Sagani gets a racial accuracy bonus against everything there, so bring her too. Highly recommend having someone in your party with 10 Mechanics.

Hope that helps

It certainly does, thank you Achilles.

Depends on the difficulty setting on PotD the map is swarming with drakes (5) and young drakes (7) who also get buffed by xaurips on normal according to an online guide there are supposed to be only 2 young drakes. So if you want to clear the map on Potd I would say solo not before 9 and with a party not before 7. Ofc you also can sneak directly to the cave on Potd clearing the map is harder than the actual fight inside.

I play on normal, and with a party. I will make sure to get a few more levels first then, thank you Raven Darkholme.

The map area involved for the Cinders quest would be a bit ... challenging .... I'd think, for a level 5 party, depending on the difficulty setting of the game and your general experience as a player.  I generally prefer to hold off on going to this map area until my party is tougher.

Well as mention just above, I play on normal, and since every one suggests to wait a few levels it is what I will do. thank you Cucis.

There is a boss in that quest, one that would be very tough at level 5 I think, to beat him you'd have to get him stuck behind his allies while you kill him with ranged attacks.

I will remember that tip once I face the Boss, thank you Climhazzard. ( Not just for the tip but also that Monk build of yours on the steam forums. :) )

At level 9 you should be able to do it pretty comfortably. You could probably manage at level 7 by going in fresh and pulling out all the stops.

After seeing every one suggesting it, I will certainly gain a few more levels, thank you Kaigen42.

I am putting points in Mechanics with Aloth already since he already hat a few, thank you again Achilles.

Achilles, it took me a moment to remember what Mechanics check you were talking about here.  But, herein lies a problem with Mechanics checks.  The kind of check you're referring to here shouldn't be a mechanics check at all, but a perception check, IMO.

Regardless, you are 100% correct.  This is something that one absolutely does NOT want to miss.   :grin:

Okay thank you, now I am staying curious for a few levels. : :biggrin:

Edited by Fessels

Well as mention just above, I play on normal, and since every one suggests to wait a few levels it is what I will do. thank you Crucis.

The odd thing, Fessels, is that I waited until rather late in the game to go to this map with my first party (I also play in normal mode).  But my wait wasn't intentional.  I wasn't aware that there was an area in that location, and never even happened to try to exit the proper map on the south side to trigger this map area showing up on the world map.  I simply wasn't aware that it existed in the first place.

Edited by Crucis
  • Like 1

Achilles, it took me a moment to remember what Mechanics check you were talking about here. But, herein lies a problem with Mechanics checks. The kind of check you're referring to here shouldn't be a mechanics check at all, but a perception check, IMO.

Regardless, you are 100% correct. This is something that one absolutely does NOT want to miss. :grin:

I'm inclined to agree with you, but it is what it is.

I think it's definitely do-able with the right party at level 7 or up.  Wizards can mass-confuse to buy time during the big combat in question, in addition to summoned figurine creatures to act as tanks.  Landing a Dominate effect from a Cipher party member will also make a considerable difference.

The biggest difficulties IMO are positioning to avoid getting wiped by the heavy-damage AOE which the major enemy in that area can use.  I've seen it deal 100-150 damage to 3 characters, knocking them all out and forcing a reload given the death of half my party.

1. Bring all your summoning figurines for the boss fight in the cave

2. Target and focus down the xaurip high priests/priests

3. If you have a druid/cipher, make sure to constantly use charm effects against the drakes until everything else is dead. Divide and conquer and all that.

4. mechanics 10 req for getting your Tidefall. The challenging thing here for me was knowing you could get a such an end game weapon so early. 2nd playthru had a barb with soldier focus with the eye on this prize.

I think it's definitely do-able with the right party at level 7 or up.  Wizards can mass-confuse to buy time during the big combat in question, in addition to summoned figurine creatures to act as tanks.  Landing a Dominate effect from a Cipher party member will also make a considerable difference.

The biggest difficulties IMO are positioning to avoid getting wiped by the heavy-damage AOE which the major enemy in that area can use.  I've seen it deal 100-150 damage to 3 characters, knocking them all out and forcing a reload given the death of half my party.

Very useful information about the wizard and Cipher, thank you AlphaMagnum. As for the AoE damage ... that is freaking huge!? Now I am definitely not doing that quest until my party is at least level 8.

1. Bring all your summoning figurines for the boss fight in the cave

2. Target and focus down the xaurip high priests/priests

3. If you have a druid/cipher, make sure to constantly use charm effects against the drakes until everything else is dead. Divide and conquer and all that.

4. mechanics 10 req for getting your Tidefall. The challenging thing here for me was knowing you could get a such an end game weapon so early. 2nd playthru had a barb with soldier focus with the eye on this prize.

1: I will.

2: Again, I will. I remember the one from the second level of the Endless path.

3: Good advice, thank you.

4: Ah so that is the reason. :)

Edited by Fessels

I actually did that at level 5 yesterday, on PotD. Custom party though. I had auto-pause on for finished abilities and I used a figurine, but nothing fancier than that and my full arsenal of spells and abilities.

I place my party in the upper right corner, send my tank in to do the talking and have an off-tank/summons ready for things that don't find him attractive enough, and then pretty much bombard them.

• Like 1

My Deadfire mods
Out With The Good: The mod for tidying up your Deadfire combat tooltip.
Waukeen's Berth: Make all your basic purchases at Queen's Berth.
Carrying Voice: Wider chanter invocations.
Nemnok's Congregation: Lets all priests express their true faith.

Deadfire skill check catalogue right here!