Obsidian should make a Sci-Fi RPG

Ado13

I loved every Obsidian game with Kotor 2 as my favorite, i'm also a huge fan of Sci-Fi games.

I think that Obsidian should make a original Sci-Fi RPG for the following reasons:

1.) There are lots of Sci-Fi fans and not so many good Sci-Fi RPGs

2.) Because of Kotor 2 Obsidian has experience in making Sci-Fi RPGs

3.) Aside from the new Star Ocean, Xenoblade Chronicles X and the new Mass Effect i dont see many more new Sci-Fi RPGs released any time soon so there should be damand

So what do you guys think ?

• Like 3

Its not like you can't have space midgets and space elves.  In fact, I think that was a requirement for sci-fi in the 20s, 30s and 40s.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Obsidian should strike a deal with Mike Pondsmith and CDPR to create a true to the PnP rules Cyberpunk RPG with all the Obsidian trademark narrative design, writing and characterization, since CDPR's game will no doubt be more of a CyberWitcher action title than an honest to god cRPG. That's one thing I'd support.

• Like 2

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

I bet if you do a poll now. post apocalypse, vampires, fantasy, sci fi. Garauntee you sci fi will be least picked. People like midgets and elves more then phasers and mechs.

blasphemy.... repent or meet the barrel of my bolter you heretic

Edited by Darkpriest
  • Like 2

Well, now... T

I loved every Obsidian game with Kotor 2 as my favorite, i'm also a huge fan of Sci-Fi games.

I think that Obsidian should make a original Sci-Fi RPG for the following reasons:

3.) Aside from the new Star Ocean, Xenoblade Chronicles X and the new Mass Effect i dont see many more new Sci-Fi RPGs released any time soon so there should be damand

I'd hazard to add Torment: Tides Of Numenera to that list, seeing as how you're willing to include Star Wars as sci-fi, when Star Wars is really science fantasy.

What new ground could Obsidian cover with a new science fiction franchise, though? Developing a new setting takes time and dedication. Having dabbled with the subject, I find it to be rather hard, as the setting is supposed to provide good narrative hooks, etc.

Whoah whoah! Let's get Alpha Protocol 2 done first, then we can worry about pie in the sky ideas like a sci-fi rpg :)

Alpha Protocol 2 is nearly impossible dream, as Alpha Protocol is SEGA's IP. So best hope is to make game with similar theme but that don't actually have any ties with AP.

Transhuman Space would be *very* nice. It's not a setting that Steve Jackson Games really care about since third edition. It would be nice to see Obsidian just buy the franchise outright and maybe relaunch the franchise using FATE as the ruleset, and do a video game as well.

I'd love to see an isometric, party-based version of Star Frontiers.

Wizards of the Coast probably own the rights to that as well, though.

I remember years ago, before Alpha Protocol was a glimmer in Obsidian's eye, thinking that they should do something similar with Top Secret.

1aw3tiY.png

Well, now... T

I'd hazard to add Torment: Tides Of Numenera to that list, seeing as how you're willing to include Star Wars as sci-fi, when Star Wars is really science fantasy.

What new ground could Obsidian cover with a new science fiction franchise, though? Developing a new setting takes time and dedication. Having dabbled with the subject, I find it to be rather hard, as the setting is supposed to provide good narrative hooks, etc.

I didn't know about that one so thanks for the info. Also i know that it is hard creating a whole universe from nothing but i'm confident that i will pay of, i mean just look at Mass Effect. Even if you dislike Mass Effect you must admit that it's selling good and the new Mass Effect will probably sell good as well even after the disaster of Mass Effect 3. The point is people are hungry for Sci-Fi but the demand is not met.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If Obsidian want to create a sci-fi fantasy games, i think using D20 system like KotOR will be awesome, i don't like FPS

Explore the ancient aliens ruins in mysterious unknown planets, discover a plot to donimate the galaxy and try to stop it, involve in epic galatic war between alien races, gather allies and face the dangers set along the path, find out who's the culprit behind everything....

KotOR 3 please!

Wouldn't mind it, but not keen on aliens. Primitive life forms are okay, but not a fan of that old cliche of encountering curiously humanoid aliens with remarkably similar technological progression to our own. That's not even science-fantasy, it's just plain old fantasy.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

I would love seeing Obsidian been commissioned to have a go at a WH40K Inquisitor CRPG. Just imaging MCA being allowed to indulge in all his darkest fantasies turned up to max and then mostly getting flak for being too mellow :p

Also, we need more stick men comics.

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

What class should be in Sci Fi fantasy anyway?

Soldier, commando--->warrior, tank

Technician, smuggler--->rogue, dps

Psychic, medic--->mage, nuker, healer

It will goes around that isn't it? What makes the difference?

Edited by Qistina

I would love seeing Obsidian been commissioned to have a go at a WH40K Inquisitor CRPG. Just imaging MCA being allowed to indulge in all his darkest fantasies turned up to max and then mostly getting flak for being too mellow tongue.png

Also, we need more stick men comics.

Needs to be Rogue Trader. Because I want an Ork companion.
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I view a sci-fi setting as a perfect chance to get away from those tropes personally.  Perhaps even avoid classes altogether.

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

I view a sci-fi setting as a perfect chance to get away from those tropes personally.  Perhaps even avoid classes altogether.

If it's party based there must be classes, and if it's turn based there must be stats too, it can't be avoided

If if remove the class choices in the begining, the player will end up set up classes anyway.

If it's party based there must be classes, and if it's turn based there must be stats too, it can't be avoided

If if remove the class choices in the begining, the player will end up set up classes anyway.

It doesn't have to have classes just because it's party-based.  If the player wants to build characters towards some pre-conceived class idea that's their choice just as they can choose not to.  Players will gravitate towards building their characters according to what works with the system.

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams