I like this game too much to beat it

Is anyone else having this problem? I get 1/2 through the game (before elm), get excited about a newer stronger party I could make, and start a new game? My next one will be three tanks (fighter, mage, chanter) and three ranged(cipher, cipher, druid). Playing on normal difficulty.

• Like 3

I'm certainly taking my time with the game. Mid Act II is as far as I've seen, having restarted once. Only play a couple hours per day at most, so yeah, it's still going to be awhile before I see the end. That's fine thou, still loving it.    :yes:

• Like 1

I'm kind of in the same place. Ish. I always restarted over and over to build better companions from the ground up in other games (especially the Neverwinter Nights series), and swore I wouldn't do so this game. However, I'm now in the middle of Act II, and realized that my parties' middling combat abilities are due to me misapplying abilities, spells, etc. (No wonder I got in the habit in the first place.) Now I'm really tempted to either restart, or go back a significant chunk of the game to give my party members better spells, attributes, and abilities from the word "go." On the other hand, I just can't face playing through the whole game with the same character again...

So I'm kind of avoiding playing altogether until I make up my mind.  :sweat:

Edited by Faerunner

"Not I, though. Not I," said the hanging dwarf.

Is anyone else having this problem? I get 1/2 through the game (before elm), get excited about a newer stronger party I could make, and start a new game? My next one will be three tanks (fighter, mage, chanter) and three ranged(cipher, cipher, druid). Playing on normal difficulty.

I really want to quit my solo barb run halfway into act II and try it with a chanter.

I did 2 playthroughs and lost interest in this shallow RPG. EDIT: And I'm just being honest here. This game does not live up to my RPG standards, sorry obsidian. OP im glad if youre having fun

Edited by Luj1

"There once was a loon that twitter

Before he went down the ****ter

In its demise he wasn't missed

Because there were bugs to be fixed."

~ Kaine

I'm kind of in the same place. Ish. I always restarted over and over to build better companions from the ground up in other games (especially the Neverwinter Nights series), and swore I wouldn't do so this game. However, I'm now in the middle of Act II, and realized that my parties' middling combat abilities are due to me misapplying abilities, spells, etc. (No wonder I got in the habit in the first place.) Now I'm really tempted to either restart, or go back a significant chunk of the game to give my party members better spells, attributes, and abilities from the word "go." On the other hand, I just can't face playing through the whole game with the same character again...

So I'm kind of avoiding playing altogether until I make up my mind.  :sweat:

Set defense skills to 8 for ranged companions and set might to 10 for tanks, to be honest, my main is a fighter/poleaxe user, 18/dex 18/might, and has the highest party damage. The early game can be a lil brutal, but once the better defense stuff kicks in, like cipher pain link, I have a fighter doing 50 damage per second, that just won't go down. On normal difficultly.

I did 2 playthroughs and lost interest in this shallow RPG. EDIT: And I'm just being honest here. This game does not live up to my RPG standards, sorry obsidian. OP im glad if youre having fun

I felt the same way, till i started experimenting with teams, and found it pretty fun. I wouldn't disagree with the shallow part, when compared to say, fighting hook horrors in IWD2, I just think it's concise, and structured well for the money they had to make it with. I suppose it would be a  FULL blown super expansive RPG if they actually made it on the old IE engine. But i'd say give it another chance with some interesting party ideas, I think it's pretty well thought out and balanced in that regard.

The only thing that gets to me is the writing, too wordy/descriptive. I think they should try to emulate Wordsworth more, fits the style and is exciting to read.

• Like 1

This games combat system completely destroys Divinity Original Sin.    DOS combat had no depth.  However the opposing element strategy was kind of fun, I'll give DOS that much.

In POE if you put down slicken then put fire on top of it, have a nice bonus explosion would be cool.  This is something to be considered for POE 2 or perhaps modded in.

UPDATE: I just want to say that I'm experiencing the same problem as the OP. I do not want to rush to beat this game, because chances are there might not be another one like this for another 10 years.

Edited by luzarius

Having trouble with the games combat on POTD, Trial of Iron?

- Hurtin bomb droppin MONK - [MONK BUILD] - [CLICK HERE]

- Think Rangers suck? You're wrong - [RANGER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

- Fighter Heavy Tank - [FIGHTER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

Despite what I may post, I'm a huge fan of Pillars of Eternity, it's one of my favorite RPG's.

Anita Sarkeesian keeps Bioware's balls in a jar on her shelf.

This games combat system completely destroys Divinity Original Sin.    DOS combat had no depth.  However the opposing element strategy was kind of fun, I'll give DOS that much.

In POE if you put down slicken then put fire on top of it, have a nice bonus explosion would be cool.  This is something to be considered for POE 2 or perhaps modded in.

I disagree wholeheartedly. D:OS combat was really nice and most importantly turn-based(which for me is always a good thing).

I can't say which of the two is "better" but I would never say the one "destroys" the other. Playing D:OS co-op and putting down combos was simply awesome

I have not restarted much, but I keep making new parties to try out the classes / races and various things.   I deleted my first 2 or 3 games not long after getting my keep unlocked... druid shapechange focused char with really bad build was my first, I need to re-try druid with a better understanding.   I think I have nearly 10 different games going.  

I felt the same way, till i started experimenting with teams, and found it pretty fun. I wouldn't disagree with the shallow part, when compared to say, fighting hook horrors in IWD2, I just think it's concise, and structured well for the money they had to make it with. I suppose it would be a  FULL blown super expansive RPG if they actually made it on the old IE engine. But i'd say give it another chance with some interesting party ideas, I think it's pretty well thought out and balanced in that regard.

The only thing that gets to me is the writing, too wordy/descriptive. I think they should try to emulate Wordsworth more, fits the style and is exciting to read.

I think the writing was one of its strong points

"There once was a loon that twitter

Before he went down the ****ter

In its demise he wasn't missed

Because there were bugs to be fixed."

~ Kaine