Kana selected summon skeleton as his default invocation :(

If you ride wth patch 1.05, you can reset the companions. He still has the skeleton summon, but in addition, depending on your level when you pick him up, you can give him the phantom too. Actually that was the first thing I did.

The problem with skeleton is only aparent on highest difficulty where they get 2 shot by early game enemies and 1 shot by mid/late game enemies, and have a hard time doing any damage. By contrast the phantom has much better defenses, has ok accuracy and damage, and can stun. It's useful all the way through the mid game.

Even the biggest monster needs 3 hits to kill 3 skeletons, but he might kill your phantom in 1 hit.

yeah, but in my experience the skeletons all  immediately get murdered because they move around on their own and get hit by a ton of disengagement attacks. Phantom is much more preferable.

For an early invocation, I don't think 3 Skeletons are bad. They hardly do any damage but they're good as distractions, splitting the attention of enemy groups. The AI likes to clobber the first thing they engage, whether its a summon or a character. Flanking with a Rogue is easier and safer with summons.

Kana's other L1 invocations reduce enemy DR by 5 and Stuns enemy for a short duration. If those hit, they are certainly nice, but they can miss, especially on PotD, and so IMHO are not really demonstrably superior to 3 Skeletons, depending on situation and luck.

The phantom invocation outclasses the skeleton one so bad it ain't funny.

Flanking is trivial since you already get 6 guys + possible ranger pets.

Skeletons are basically one shot on PoTD past level 3, so their tanking use disappears. Damage they never had anyway.

Meanwhile Phantoms stun on hit. That's literally all you ever need on a low level summon.

Even the biggest monster needs 3 hits to kill 3 skeletons, but he might kill your phantom in 1 hit.

yeah, but in my experience the skeletons all  immediately get murdered because they move around on their own and get hit by a ton of disengagement attacks. Phantom is much more preferable.

I dunno, I use Pause (space) and move (left click).

The phantom invocation outclasses the skeleton one so bad it ain't funny.

Flanking is trivial since you already get 6 guys + possible ranger pets.

Skeletons are basically one shot on PoTD past level 3, so their tanking use disappears. Damage they never had anyway.

Meanwhile Phantoms stun on hit. That's literally all you ever need on a low level summon.

I have 1 tank, 1 melee dps cipherand the rest archers and casters so flanking with that set up doesn't really suit survivabilty. The skeletons help me a lot.

I dunno, I use Pause (space) and move (left click).

It's not like a I don't pause, but I also don't always immediately react to them spawning. Still, potentially wasting your invocation is pretty bad considering how infrequent you'll actually use them.