Letting Obsidian profit from making this game moddable through the expansion pack.

What do you guys think of this idea? Be honest.

Chances are Obsidian is going to release an expansion pack for this game.  If part of that expansion pack was allowing the game to be more mod friendly, would that be okay? Anyone who wants to enjoy mods has to buy the expansion pack or something? It's all about opening up those unity3d files somehow and giving us easy access to modify them. Expansions are usually $29.99 or something?

Yay or nay?

Edited by luzarius
  • Like 2

Having trouble with the games combat on POTD, Trial of Iron?

- Hurtin bomb droppin MONK - [MONK BUILD] - [CLICK HERE]

- Think Rangers suck? You're wrong - [RANGER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

- Fighter Heavy Tank - [FIGHTER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

Despite what I may post, I'm a huge fan of Pillars of Eternity, it's one of my favorite RPG's.

Anita Sarkeesian keeps Bioware's balls in a jar on her shelf.

Obviously I agree. Mod communities create stuff very quickly. The presence of mods had a huge impact on how I enjoyed previous RPGs I've experienced.

With mods, you can re-experience your Pillars several times over, each time in a different flavour.  I think it is no-brainer. 

• Like 1

Obviously I agree. Mod communities create stuff very quickly. The presence of mods had a huge impact on how I enjoyed previous RPGs I've experienced.

With mods, you can re-experience your Pillars several times over, each time in a different flavour.  I think it is no-brainer. 

This is one of the reasons Skyrim continues to sell so well to this day.

- Think Rangers suck? You're wrong - [RANGER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

Despite what I may post, I'm a huge fan of Pillars of Eternity, it's one of my favorite RPG's.

I think the idea is impractical for multiple reasons:

• They've already said that they're planning to release all the class and balance changes that come with the expansions.  Mainly, expansions are really about adding content and a reason to be level 12.  
  • Also, it seems like it would be an unnecessary expense to maintain two separate codebases, one that allows modding and one that doesn't.  
  • And it seems like it defeats the purpose of modding.  Modding is successful because it opens a large existing customer base up to new experiences.  People that mod frequently want their creations to be shared, and bifurcating the user base would stop that.
  • It also risks creating the classic problem that mediocre moddable games fall into (at least for the expansion): no modders because there's no users and no users because no modders.

By all means, the game should be as open to mod as possible.  I don't think that charging for that capability is the right way to go.  Also, a modding forum is a good idea.

Edited by anameforobsidian

If Valve is still interested in paid or even pay-what-you-want mods (clearly not for Skyrim, but I imagine the concept will be back), then modding tools might be a valuable addition (for Obsidian) in and of themselves. It would basically just be an expansion with a free-to-play business model.

If Valve is still interested in paid or even pay-what-you-want mods (clearly not for Skyrim, but I imagine the concept will be back), then modding tools might be a valuable addition (for Obsidian) in and of themselves. It would basically just be an expansion with a free-to-play business model.

Is Valve? Are we? I mean, my big deal is if I could set up a separate account, put money in it, say thirty every now and then, then distribute it to modders easily, that would work, but pay per mod? I had 85 mods installed on skyrim, even at 1.99 that's 190 dollars worth of content, some of which didn't even work and needed to be disabled. If I could put a certain amount of money in, then distribute it by percentages, I could keep track of my spending easily. Till then, a pay-per-mod model doesn't sit well with me, because of all the individual transaction, they have to charge a certain amount, just to cover the processing fee.

I would gladly pay for a user made mod on valve that provides a ton of new voice acting, I'd rather not read ANYTHING.  Even if it's just someone with a decent voice narrating.

Edited by luzarius