Marked Prey is doing massive amounts of dmg. Easily 200+ per hit.

Idleray

Question

So after Sagani reached Lvl 7 I've noticed that whenever I cast Marked Prey on someone Itumaak will start doing an insane amount of dmg per hit on the marked target. As far as I can tell it adds exactly 700% of the damage from the normal hit (i.e. It's doing 800% dmg per hit)

The only thing I can see that's changed is that I got Stalker's Link when I leveled. I'm sure that Marked Prey is the source of this bug since it doesn't happen normally without it.

edit: Yes this is on Patch Beta 1.05. Confirmed for build 563 too

save is here http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=06078467274675325723

Edited by Idleray

23 answers to this question

Yes. That's bugged too. I noticed from looking at Sagani's stat sheet that the Animal Companion bonuses were stacking unnatural amounts.

However the big hits are only manifesting when Ituumak hits a marked prey target.

Yes. That's bugged too. I noticed from looking at Sagani's stat sheet that the Animal Companion bonuses were stacking unnatural amounts.

However the big hits are only manifesting when Ituumak hits a marked prey target.

well marked prey is supposed to add 40% multiplicative damage to animal companion .. It will amplify the bug effect ..

WPNTVf7.jpg

well marked prey is supposed to add 40% multiplicative damage to animal companion .. It will amplify the bug effect ..

This is correct, the next build of 1.05(Beta) will have a fixed checked in for the animal companion stacking stats issue.

• Like 1

- Refer to this thread if you are having trouble finding any information I requested http://forums.obsidi...eport-an-issue/

I have the latest build (563) and this bug still exists unchanged.

save: http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=61829225022996454664

So for clarity:

The stats sheet for the animal companion look definitely bugged (In Sagani's sheet it says Itumaak has +396% dmg).

The auto-attack damage does not look bugged (about 20-28 dmg per hit from lvl 7 pet seems ok)

auto-attacks from the pet on a marked target do 800% dmg.

I tried benching and rehiring Sagani but... no luck.

Any chance there's some kind of hack that I can use to fix this? I want to use Marked Prey because it's a good ability, but I'm not gonna use it if it just makes things trivial...but then this was supposed to be my Sagani playthrough :(

I tried benching and rehiring Sagani but... no luck.

Any chance there's some kind of hack that I can use to fix this? I want to use Marked Prey because it's a good ability, but I'm not gonna use it if it just makes things trivial...but then this was supposed to be my Sagani playthrough :(

The developers promised it to the next version, so expect it to be fixed once the animal companion stacks are gone.

Should also be noted that BUILD 563 is NOT the next version, it is the "latest" as you said. They've promised a new build today so keep looking at the number changing.

Version 563 is the second (or "next") beta, and it's the version for which the fix had been promised. Where did you see the devs promising further fixes?

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/78868-animal-companion-combat-bonuses-stacking-with-itself/?p=1681293

Well there a developer said he had fixed it and since it is not fixed yet, I am assuming we're not in the "next" fixes cycle yet. Ie. " expect it to be fixed once the animal companion stacks are gone." like I said. And contrary to what is written in the patch notes, patch 563 is NOT the next version we're looking for. At least it was not for me as both of my saves (old and a new game I started while waiting for a fix) are boasting multiple stacks on the animal companions.

Edited by koski

Version 563 was released about 15 hours ago, and the patch notes state "Fixed issue where Animal Companion bonuses were stacking on save/load. (Introduced in 1.05 Beta)". That was the fix that Roby was referencing.

Are you saying that you started a new playthrough on v563 and you still have the bug? Maybe the patch didn't fix the issue retroactively?

Edited by Insolentius

I created a new ranger with a bear companion in v563. I picked Vicious Companion at level 2 and tried to reproduce the stacking bug by saving and loading multiple times. I didn't get any stacking, and things seem to be normal.

Version 563 was released about 15 hours ago, and the patch notes state "Fixed issue where Animal Companion bonuses were stacking on save/load. (Introduced in 1.05 Beta)". That was the fix that Roby was referencing.

Are you saying that you started a new playthrough on v563 and you still have the bug? Maybe the patch didn't fix the issue retroactively?

Yes, it is not retroactive. Like I said before, expect this to be fixed when the stacks are gone.

So basically I think the fix is not retroactive. Also I only noticed it after hitting lvl 7. It's either that or switching to the patch beta that caused the bug.

Peddroelm already confirmed its not retroactive fix but it does prevent new stacks from appearing. Expect your problems with the marked prey to go away once the stacks get removed. Either that or start a new game.

Edited by koski

Ok I think the retroactive fix worked .. 

Loaded save - it still lists the animal companion bonuses twice on ranger's sheet but the actual bonuses seem correct .. 

Lvl 7 ranger  6 ACC, 24% Damage Mod , 3 DR ..  

Took a swing at my Bear  - it had 17 DR .. ( 11 (bear base) + 3 (resilient companion) + 3 (AC combat bonuses) = 17  )

I consoled more XP - to level ranger to 12 .. 

AC combat bonuses +9 ACC, 36% Damage Mod, 4.5 DR  (as I remember them) ..

Another swing at bear -18.5 DR .. (11 + 3 + 4.5 = 18.5 OK)

WPNTVf7.jpg

I supposed I never realised how bad the animal companion actually was when it wasn't bugged. Now it's gone back to doing nearly no damage and still pretty crap damage when attacking a marked prey target.

However this is still more preferable for me than having something blatantly OP.

I suppose the next step would be to revisit pet balancing sometime in the future :)

I supposed I never realised how bad the animal companion actually was when it wasn't bugged. Now it's gone back to doing nearly no damage and still pretty crap damage when attacking a marked prey target.

However this is still more preferable for me than having something blatantly OP.

I suppose the next step would be to revisit pet balancing sometime in the future :)

Pet (or at least Itumaak) is quite useful already. Though the greatest benefit they bring is the instant flanking bonus. The fox moves so quickly it can be behind the opponent flanking before your frontliners would even reach the target. Damage wise, not so much. But you really have to think of their damage as an addition to the rangers and not as their own source.

• Like 1

Pet (or at least Itumaak) is quite useful already. Though the greatest benefit they bring is the instant flanking bonus. The fox moves so quickly it can be behind the opponent flanking before your frontliners would even reach the target. Damage wise, not so much. But you really have to think of their damage as an addition to the rangers and not as their own source.

This. My main character is a DW rogue so I welcome any strategy that enables my Sneak Attacks or reduces my enemy's Deflection. I used Itumaaki as an off-tank (Éder main tank, Kana+Itumaaki off-tanks) while I was clearing Defiance Bay and the Endless Paths. The pet basically was a meatshield that gave me flanking bonuses, and that worked fine.

With a magic hunting bow, Driving Flight, Marksman, and Penetrating shot, Sagani quickly arose to #2 damage dealer in my group, only behind my rogue. I only realized that she received penalties from Bonded Grief when I got to a really tough fight (The Master Below), where every point in Accuracy is precious.

I suppose one way to improve the Ranger is to remove that penalty, but if you think that Sagani is useless, then you are doing something wrong.

Edited by qweqwe

It seems this is not entirely fixed yet. Though the stacks themselves are gone, the single buff seems to contain all the effects in the description. I am not sure if this affects the animal companion itself, but it looks a bit silly.

Ub7DZ4E.png

While testing the various animal companion damage perks I've realized they stealth nerfed Marked Prey in 1.05 .. Its down to 20% lash vs 25% DR from 40% lash vs 25% DR   :(

"..Marked Prey is now working at intended..." 

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/78239-abilities-various-other-damage-related-mechanics-revealed/?p=1685422

Edited by peddroelm

WPNTVf7.jpg