Solo Achievement - precise conditions (NOT the Triple Solo one)

(post may also count as technical support question)

I want to gain the Steam Achievement "Solo" (in hard difficulty+expert mode btw) - it says:
"complete the game without taking any companions after Cilant Lis"

Does this mean I can get the achievement if i keep Calisca (the fighter your given directly after starting the game) and Heodan (Thief, given at the very beginning if you rescue him)

Also: is it possible to hire the generic mercenaries/adventures your offered in taverns and such?

If have to get this right in order to max my chances at completing the game at the given mode/difficulty, without doing it for (almost) nothing (not getting the achievement)

Btw:
I try this run - my 1st true run/attempt at completing POE, but I am an D&D/D20/Inifinity-Engine+Neverwinter Nights veteran - with a Wood Elf ranged Ranger, tank as pet (either Bear or Antelope) and the following stats (after cultural/background bonuses (deadfire archiepelago + hunter)):

Might: 16

Constitution: 10 (Antelope or Bear as tank, shooting from distance)

Dextery: 16

Perception: 16

Intellict: 8
Resolve: 12
(I don't really know how important duration for ranged Ranger is; but I'd change int to 6, and resolve to 14; since resolve is more important (bonus on defense+concentration; Dex+Per for reflex etc))

Edited by Anentropia

Does this mean I can get the achievement if i keep Calisca (the fighter your given directly after starting the game) and Heodan (Thief, given at the very beginning if you rescue him)

This is a bit of a spoiler, but...

You will not be able to keep either of those two characters regardless of whether you are trying to solo the game or not.

Also: is it possible to hire the generic mercenaries/adventures your offered in taverns and such?

Not if you want the solo achievement. A party with 6 player created characters is potentially a lot more deadly than anything you can construct with the companions who have personalities.

so the mercenaries for hire are just player created ones? (didn't yet hire one, only saw them the the 1st tavern)
But - independant if they die anyways later on - having Calisca and Heodan doesn't count against the solo achievement if you keep them from the beginning?

But - independant if they die anyways later on - having Calisca and Heodan doesn't count against the solo achievement if you keep them from the beginning?

That is right they don't count against solo achievement

i believe yes. there have been TCS runs, some of them on youtube

PIllars of eternty (Hard) 1st playtrough: 155h, 38 m (main Ranger with bear(bow), Eder, Durance(off tank), Hirvais(off tank), Kana(ranged), Aloth/GM)
PIllars of eternty (PtoD) 2nd playtrough: 88h 30 m (main Bleak Walker Paladin, Eder, Barbarian, Monk, Rogue (ranged) Cypher(wand)
(not counting reloads and experimenting)
status i love the game, hate the bugs, and wish for better AI and Pathfinding

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/78749-needed-qualyty-of-life-improvements-information-and-transparency/

all of the achievements have been achieved, including one with fewer than 10 rests, 0 knockouts (i believe its mostly tied with TCS if you dont led calisca/heodan getting knocked out, dont know how second chance works when solo), and fewer than 175 kills

PIllars of eternty (Hard) 1st playtrough: 155h, 38 m (main Ranger with bear(bow), Eder, Durance(off tank), Hirvais(off tank), Kana(ranged), Aloth/GM)
PIllars of eternty (PtoD) 2nd playtrough: 88h 30 m (main Bleak Walker Paladin, Eder, Barbarian, Monk, Rogue (ranged) Cypher(wand)

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/78749-needed-qualyty-of-life-improvements-information-and-transparency/

Anyone unlock this yet?

0.1% of game owners in steam have unlocked it and you can find several guides how to do it from these forums.

Still at that percentage its a very rare one to be had. Not for the weak hearted :grin:

Anyone unlock this yet?

0.1% of game owners in steam have unlocked it and you can find several guides how to do it from these forums.

Still at that percentage its a very rare one to be had. Not for the weak hearted :grin:

Yeah, although only 6.3% of owners have even finished the game at first place.

well AFAIK 0.1% is lowest percentage Steam shows, so it could be less than that

btw: I just killed the 2 bears (mature+young one on hard+expert) in the bearcave in ValeWood - took quite a lot of buffing (rest at tavern room -> +2resolve + savory pie + pearlwood chicken) and reloading (crits + working abilities), but I've made it :D
but the 2x33exp are a very poor reward for such strong enemies

I've made a screenshot with the whole fight protocol/messages, char was at lvl3 (just a warbow, mail armor, minor cloak of protection, adventurer weapon focus) and my antelope reflex as tank (which was getting unconcious during the fight)

The real reward for killing the bears is to be able to finish that particular miniquest and get that XP / loot / money.

kill xp is low and limited in this game. you get xp as you fill out the bestiary entry for that creature(and when you do no more xp). most xp comes from quests, then tasks, then lockpicking/trap disarming

(hopefully) last PoE newbie  question:
If i buff myself up (rings+foods+rest appartments etc), do whese buffs only count for my char/ranger, or also for my pet (which i'm supposed to have a sort of soulbound resp. be connected to)? can't yet find an explict yes or no (searched wiki on gamepedia.com)

rest aplies to pets, others i dont think so

• 2 weeks later...

Same topic but different char (switched to melee Wild Orlan Rogue with 2WeaponStyle and DeadfireArchipelago+Mercenary Background - now at Lvl5 (11,8k exp), Ranger became useless for solo after a short while - with current Patch and no cheating etc it's much harder than it supposedly was until Patch/PoE 1.04)

I just became the new fortress owner and started to rebuild/repair it, and I wonder if I MAY can hire NPCs for the sole purpose of defending my castle when I'm not there etc - of course without loosing the Solo-Achievement.

Pls only answer if you KNOW it, guesswork I can do myself.

Edited by Anentropia