If Pillars of Eternity had romances

Honestly, why bother? Your an adventurer, save for your stronghold you're a wandering armed hobo. Go hire a prostitute. Heck you can even have one at Caed Nua if you impress them enough with your hobo love skills (19 Dexterity and 19 Constitution), then he or she will stay in your room (minus the bonus but +2 to Prestige). 

Really, everyone in your group of armed cutthroats is just passing through. Once the main quest is done they leave you high and dry with all the equipment you gave them. I would have wanted for Eder to stay with me at Caed Nua to help me look out for the place as my steward, maybe give him one of the towers I am not using. 

Not every rpg needs to have "campfire romances" or what have you. Was that even a thing in the original Baldurs Gate series? In reality I think anyone would find it difficult to engender any kind of romance in the middle of an "adventure" what with the constant risk of death and dismemberment.

As for the original post: Possibly Pallegina if she could be convinced to ditch her order and stay at Caed Nua with us but I don't see that as ever happening. Godlikes are for whatever reason sterile, but I wouldn't mind the adoption of an heir. 

Edited by Venatio

Was that even a thing in the original Baldurs Gate series? 

Not in BG1. BG2 let males romance Jaheira, Viconia, or Aerie. Females were stuck with ... Anomen. (All romance was het, unless you used a mod.) 

The romances went further in ToB ... play your cards right, you could have a child with Aerie, or change Viconia's alignment to neutral. (Unless you were evil yourself.) 

There even was a possibility of a love triangle, between you, Aerie, and Haer'Dalis. Depending on how you resolved it, the tiefling might duel you to the death, or leave the party. Never seen that used ever again in any Bio, or other, RPG. It's very soap opera-ish.  :yes:

There also was a slight creep factor to the Jaheira romance, as it's literally right after the death of her husband, for which you're indirectly responsible, and in the first game, she was sorta your relative (your auntie) although not truly by blood. 

Edited by CybAnt1
  • Like 3

Well that is interesting. I don't think that the Pillars of Eternity team is inclined to approach party interactions in such a manner. This is likely because our party members can indeed die. If we do get that next expansion for the game, any romance will likely center on our Watcher's positioning with a non-party member such as for a political marriage - though this is complicated by the variety of races the Watcher can be (or if he or she is just Godlike). 

If that were the case I believe this would be the rare RPG with more options for women than for men (as stated, BG2 only had Anomen...) because I assume they would be able to choose Edér and Aloth at the very least (those seem to be the kind of options that fit in with traditional RPG romances) yet the only woman that I feel leaves room open for romance would be Pallegina. Grieving Mother seems too out-there.

• Like 2

If that were the case I believe this would be the rare RPG with more options for women than for men (as stated, BG2 only had Anomen...) because I assume they would be able to choose Edér and Aloth at the very least (those seem to be the kind of options that fit in with traditional RPG romances) yet the only woman that I feel leaves room open for romance would be Pallegina. Grieving Mother seems too out-there.

Honestly, I suspect that this was deliberate-- Obsidian wanted to make strong and interesting female characters, while avoiding the easy prurient route to audience appreciation.  They decided on no romance, and they wanted to avoid tempting the audience into asking for it.  So we get a devoted mother, a mystical maternal figure (if not literally a mother), and a warrior who has been raised with a somewhat genderless self-image. 

• Like 3

Which one of the companions would you choose to be with? What race and gender would you be?

Of the choices present, Pallegina. Attractive with a strong personality.

Male Death godlike.

• Like 1

Allthough I'm very happy that there's no romance, and I hope it stays that way in PoE 2, I'd probably roll a female and romance Edér. He's by far the most likable character and he deserves a bit of happiness in his life! If going for comic relief, maybe roll an Aumaua - DEATH BY SNU SNU!

• Like 2

If that were the case I believe this would be the rare RPG with more options for women than for men (as stated, BG2 only had Anomen...)

Ok you named BG2. That is one. Which are the other RPGs? I mean both DA2 and DAI had more options for women. None of the ME games had more options for men. Ok I think there were a few more for men in ME3 so that is two (maybe there were a ton for either gender). Neither of the KOTOR games gave more options for men. So how is this rare? Granted not every RPG with romances is made by Bioware but they are the standard for this sort of thing.

I am not claiming you are wrong just...I have no clue where you are coming from here.

Edited by Valmy

To answer the question...eh...maybe Eder and Pallegina seem like the most likely options I would go with.

I've always found romances in video games to be cheesy.

Romance is typically cheesy regardless of the medium. Not that I mind.

Edited by Valmy

I'd romance my brains with an arquebus.

Well realistically I just wouldn't have backed the game financially as dating sims are not my desire at all, i'm married and sane.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I'd romance my brains with an arquebus.

Well realistically I just wouldn't have backed the game financially as dating sims are not my desire at all, i'm married and sane.

Dating sims are for lonely, insane people?

and...

Murder sims are for romantically fulfilled, sane people like yourself?

Okay then. How's that superiority complex working out?

I really dislike romance in games btw, but the short-sightedness it takes to accuse others of loneliness and insanity for liking it while patting myself on the back as I kill people in a computer game is beyond me.

• Like 15

"Forsooth, methinks you are no ordinary talking chicken!"

-Protagonist, Baldur's Gate